Wikiposts

K1 timeline

Old Apr 14th 2009, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Mint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to all
Default K1 timeline

Hi again folks, Sorry I keep thinking of things that I need to know but having trawled this site I'm afraid I have to ask the (i'm sure) age old question. I understand from this site that my SO in the US who downloaded the I-129F form only has to send this in for the moment and then either he or I are notified as to what is needed next ? and that the Affidavit of support is only required later on in the process.? Perhaps there a link somewhere that someone can send me to clarify everything. thanks again folks.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 12:19 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 timeline

Originally Posted by Mint Julep
Perhaps there a link somewhere that someone can send me to clarify everything. thanks again folks.
There is a link... and it's on the main page of this forum. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1.

Ian
Old Apr 15th 2009, 2:21 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again folks, Sorry I keep thinking of things that I need to know but having trawled this site I'm afraid I have to ask the (i'm sure) age old question. I understand from this site that my SO in the US who downloaded the I-129F form only has to send this in for the moment and then either he or I are notified as to what is needed next ? and that the Affidavit of support is only required later on in the process.? Perhaps there a link somewhere that someone can send me to clarify everything. thanks again folks.
The USC files the I-129F now (along with any other documents and evidence required...read the I-129F instructions).

The I-134 Affidavit of Support (and supporting backup) is not needed until you (the UKC) go to you K-1 visa interview in London.

Rene
Old Apr 15th 2009, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

Mint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The USC files the I-129F now (along with any other documents and evidence required...read the I-129F instructions).

The I-134 Affidavit of Support (and supporting backup) is not needed until you (the UKC) go to you K-1 visa interview in London.

Rene
Thanks Rene and Ian, I would like to hope that if I were the USC and doing the paperwork it would be better, (being female and all) but we'll get there, especially with folks like you around, you've both helped a great deal, thank you for your time
Old Apr 16th 2009, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
Hi again Guys, this post has raised yet another question I hope you can help me with. Our situation is requiring a joint sponsor, who is very eligible and agreeable, however, am I going to have to ask him to hand over to me these very private financial details when the time comes for my interview, as I'm not sure he will want to do that ? And if he doesn't well, we're right up the Swanee ! I read somewhere that if you (meaning me)had enough money in the bank, it could be sufficient. Please help again
Old Apr 16th 2009, 4:02 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again Guys, this post has raised yet another question I hope you can help me with. Our situation is requiring a joint sponsor, who is very eligible and agreeable, however, am I going to have to ask him to hand over to me these very private financial details when the time comes for my interview, as I'm not sure he will want to do that ? And if he doesn't well, we're right up the Swanee ! I read somewhere that if you (meaning me)had enough money in the bank, it could be sufficient. Please help again
If you (the UKC, intending immigrant), have enough savings in the bank, you might be able to "self-sponsor" for the I-134 requirements. There is no set dollar (or pound) amount that you need, it's up to the discretion of the ConOff.

These days, ConOffs are seeming to be more picky about affidavit of support requirements, so unless your savings is pretty significant, I'd say stick with the joint sponsor anyway, even just as a backup.

The joint sponsor will need to provide the following (in addition to the I-134 form):
1. Proof of his US citizenship or PR status
2. Proof of his income (pay stubs)
3. Letter from employer verifying his employment
4. Most recent 3 years of tax returns or tax transcripts

The joint sponsor can give these to you in a sealed envelope, which you can just hand over to the ConOff. You never need to see the actual documents, as long as you trust him that they are all there and meet the required income amount.

Edit to add: Once you arrive in the USA and do your AOS, there is a new Affidavit of Support for to be used, Form I-864. This one is more stringent, and if the USC by that time does not earn enough, you'll need to use a Joint Sponsor again (same backup information to be provided, but current).

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Apr 16th 2009 at 4:06 am.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 4:40 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

MJ,

Hi again Guys, this post has raised yet another question I hope you can help me with. Our situation is requiring a joint sponsor, who is very eligible and agreeable, however, am I going to have to ask him to hand over to me these very private financial details when the time comes for my interview, as I'm not sure he will want to do that ?
Your sponsor can give you his sponsorship package in a sealed envelope that you can turn over to the consular officer, contents unseen. Or, he can mail the package direct to the consulate.

I read somewhere that if you (meaning me)had enough money in the bank, it could be sufficient.
If you have enough money in the bank you will not need a sponsor. Non-immigrant visas require a sponsor only if the visa applicant does not have enough financial resources of their own. The big question is, how much is enough?

Down the road, as Rene points out, you will be immigrating and sponsorship for adjustment of status is required and is a bit different

Regards, JEff

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Apr 16th 2009 at 4:45 am.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
MJ,

Your sponsor can give you his sponsorship package in a sealed envelope that you can turn over to the consular officer, contents unseen. Or, he can mail the package direct to the consulate.

If you have enough money in the bank you will not need a sponsor. Non-immigrant visas require a sponsor only if the visa applicant does not have enough financial resources of their own. The big question is, how much is enough?

Down the road, as Rene points out, you will be immigrating and sponsorship for adjustment of status is required and is a bit different

Regards, JEff
Once again thanks to all for their replies. Now is there somewhere I could at least get a ball-park figure on how much money one would need, and let me get this right, the K-1Visa is a non-immigrant visa which one adjusts to immigrant status after marriage ? and the spousal visa (if we should decide to marry in the UK) is an immigrant Visa ? and does it come with a lot less hassle..? like only having to do everything once ? As we still have the option to do it either way. I am still searching all posts on the forum for answers and I hope I'm not being too thick:
Old Apr 17th 2009, 1:52 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

MJ,

Once again thanks to all for their replies. Now is there somewhere I could at least get a ball-park figure on how much money one would need, and let me get this right, the K-1Visa is a non-immigrant visa which one adjusts to immigrant status after marriage ?
Yes.

and the spousal visa (if we should decide to marry in the UK) is an immigrant Visa ?
Spousal visas come in two flavors - an immigrant flavor, often referred to as IR-1 or CR-1 depending in the age of the marriage, and a non-immigrant flavor known as K-3. To avoid blowing your mind forget that I've mentioned the K-3.

and does it come with a lot less hassle..? like only having to do everything once ?
I think most people would say that overall, start to finish, the immigrant visa is less hassle than a K visa with adjustment of status.

Regards, JEff
Old Apr 17th 2009, 2:12 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I think most people would say that overall, start to finish, the immigrant visa is less hassle than a K visa with adjustment of status.
I agree.

Ian
Old Apr 17th 2009, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I agree.

Ian
I agree. The Immigrant Visa only does things "once", because as soon as the Immigrant Visa holder enters the USA with that visa, they become a PR right away, with no further paperwork to get the green card.

And Mint, the form you want to look at for the income guidelines is I-864P. You can find it at www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms, I-864P. You'll need to look at the 125% column for the appropriate family size.

Rene
Old Apr 17th 2009, 4:03 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Once again thanks to all for their replies. Now is there somewhere I could at least get a ball-park figure on how much money one would need, and let me get this right, the K-1Visa is a non-immigrant visa which one adjusts to immigrant status after marriage ? and the spousal visa (if we should decide to marry in the UK) is an immigrant Visa ? and does it come with a lot less hassle..? like only having to do everything once ? As we still have the option to do it either way. I am still searching all posts on the forum for answers and I hope I'm not being too thick:
If you can manage the time apart, the immigrant visa (spouse visa.. NOT K-3) is far superior.
At arrival, he becomes a Permanent Resident & full fledged member of society.
Ks spend a lot of time hunting down temporary documentation.

Especially as it's the UK, IVs are comparatively fast.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
If you can manage the time apart, the immigrant visa (spouse visa.. NOT K-3) is far superior.
At arrival, he becomes a Permanent Resident & full fledged member of society.
Ks spend a lot of time hunting down temporary documentation.

Especially as it's the UK, IVs are comparatively fast.
Well it would seem that the Marriage based Spouse Visa wins hands down then, I think that just about covers it for now,lets hope it will be a bit shorter than 8-10 months I've been quoted ! And just to re-iterate, we can file from the Uk after the marriage..?

thanks to everyone for your esteemed advice, wish we could invite y'all to the Uk for the nuptials. You've been great
Old Apr 18th 2009, 4:45 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

And just to re-iterate, we can file from the Uk after the marriage..?
ummm... how exactly do you mean?

After you are married, the USC can petition to start the Immigrant Visa application. If the USC is normally resident in the US, s/he files the I-130 to a US Service Center.
That petition can be mailed from anywhere in the world.

"file from the UK" often has a specific meaning for people who live in the UK.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
ummm... how exactly do you mean?

After you are married, the USC can petition to start the Immigrant Visa application. If the USC is normally resident in the US, s/he files the I-130 to a US Service Center.
That petition can be mailed from anywhere in the world.

"file from the UK" often has a specific meaning for people who live in the UK.
Ok I see what you mean, sorry I suppose I was asking if we could file to the embassy in London, but looking at other posts I understand that my US, then husband would have to be residing here to do that. If that is true and possible, my next question then is..is there a specific period of time he would have to be living here in the UK ? as he is a dual citizen that wouldn't be a problem, and would it make any difference, if indeed we had a choice, if I married him as a US or a British citizen, is there a distinction..? would it be easier and more straightforward one way or another.?I'd be very interested to see if this subject has been raised before anywhere. Thanks again all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.