Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1, sent AOS, didn't go to interview ...

K1, sent AOS, didn't go to interview ...

Old Feb 4th 2006, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Gigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant future
Default K1, sent AOS, didn't go to interview ...

Hi .. I'm writing for a friend here.

The UKC, male, came on a K1 visa and sent in AOS, EAD and AP. In the meantime the marriage fell on hard times and the couple decided to divorce. When the interview date was sent they didn't attend.

Subsequently a letter arrived telling the UKC to leave the country, but he had already returned to Europe. To the best of my knowledge he was never out of status.

The USC, at some time, stopped the proceedings on the divorce and the couple have since decided that they want to try and make a go of their marriage.

My take is that they have to start over. Could someone confirm this for me?
Old Feb 4th 2006, 2:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1, sent AOS, didn't go to interview ...

Originally Posted by Gigiola
My take is that they have to start over. Could someone confirm this for me?
I can't say for sure, but starting over would probably be less of a hassle than trying to reopen a case that's already been adjudicated and closed! They will need to disclose that there had been a previous application... but I don't think that should be a major problem.

Ian
Old Feb 4th 2006, 4:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to me, also, starting over would be the way to go. This time they'd file for a spouse visa, though. Not the K-1 again.

Rene
Old Feb 5th 2006, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Gigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant future

Many thanks to both.

But surely trying to open their AOS case again would be impossible anyway, as he is out of the country and has been told he can't even visit on a visa waiver?
Old Feb 6th 2006, 6:04 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Seems to me, also, starting over would be the way to go. This time they'd file for a spouse visa, though. Not the K-1 again.

Rene
Depends. He had AP right? When did he depart? Did he have AP at that time? What was the date of the interview? What were the facts surrounding the "separation"? Too many unknowns here to begin giving advice (IMO).
Old Feb 7th 2006, 2:55 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gigiola
Many thanks to both.

But surely trying to open their AOS case again would be impossible anyway, as he is out of the country and has been told he can't even visit on a visa waiver?
Hey girlie Get on messenger some time!!
Old Feb 7th 2006, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Matthew,

I also have too little information. When we first talked I thought they could probably go it alone, but I'm fast changing my mind. They would be better off consulting a lawyer.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

I'm always on IM!!! My computer is always up and running!

Just call me in Hyper .. I don't seem to have you on my buddy list.

Un abrazo! J