Wikiposts

K1 Process Times?

Old Nov 25th 2004, 2:23 am
Just Joined

bman466 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K1 Process Times?

Hey I am new to this forum and it looks really helpful. My question is that my girlfriend and I live together here in England. I am a British citizen and she is American. She is here on a student visa until summer '07. We plan to get married in Texas that summer and for me to move and live there together. After reading all these threads we are concerned of the whole time it takes from filing the I-129F to me being able to arrive in Texas with the K1. If we plan to get married that summer, when do you suggest my girlfriend files the I-129F? Also is it worth hiring a lawyer? Also we have over 4 years of evidence such as pictures and film of us together, is this ok for all the interviews? thanks in advance!!!!

Peter
Old Nov 25th 2004, 3:42 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: K1 Process Times?

Originally Posted by bman466
Hey I am new to this forum and it looks really helpful. My question is that my girlfriend and I live together here in England. I am a British citizen and she is American. She is here on a student visa until summer '07. We plan to get married in Texas that summer and for me to move and live there together. After reading all these threads we are concerned of the whole time it takes from filing the I-129F to me being able to arrive in Texas with the K1. If we plan to get married that summer, when do you suggest my girlfriend files the I-129F? Also is it worth hiring a lawyer? Also we have over 4 years of evidence such as pictures and film of us together, is this ok for all the interviews? thanks in advance!!!!

Peter
Hi Peter:

Timelines change all the time -- they shorten and lengthen and they always vary between INDIVIDUAL cases. Nothing wrong with planning in advance, but to be quite frank, your inquiry is premature at this time.

As a general rule, you might want to REALLY start thinking about this at the beginning of 2006.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 5:24 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Peter
Peter: marry when the time is right for you and your intended. If you are still both living in the UK when the time comes and you are -married and -wanting to move to the US, you will be able to file directly in the UK.
You can always marry in the US, both return to the UK to start packing up for the move and complete the visa work then.
'07 is a long way off, who knows what immigration might look like then?
Old Nov 25th 2004, 10:09 am
Just Joined

thanx people, i know '07 is a long way off, but just preparing as i know it can be a long process, we wont do DCF as we want to get married in texas, so def will do the K1, the only reason i was asking was so i can be ready in time. is there any paperwork that i have now that i should be saving, like council tax bills and house bills, to show we r living togetheR?
Old Nov 25th 2004, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

brigeet will become famous soon enoughbrigeet will become famous soon enough

thanx people, i know '07 is a long way off, but just preparing as i know it can be a long process, we wont do DCF as we want to get married in texas, so def will do the K1, the only reason i was asking was so i can be ready in time. is there any paperwork that i have now that i should be saving, like council tax bills and house bills, to show we r living togetheR?

It seems like the toughest thing will be for her to prove that she can support you ($) since she's a student now or to find someone to be her co-sponsor.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

i do have my on savings from selling my house, so could i not use this? how much are you supposed to have? also if she needs to get a co sponser, could one of her parents do this?
Old Nov 25th 2004, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

betsyanddavid will become famous soon enough

i do have my on savings from selling my house, so could i not use this? how much are you supposed to have? also if she needs to get a co sponser, could one of her parents do this?

Basically for the Visa application part, you need to show you have enough assets to prove you won't be a public charge. Once you AOS, however, your sponsor (your fiance/spouse) will need to meet the income requirements, or have a co-sponsor. And yes if her parents meet the income requirements for their household plus you.

Betsy