Wikiposts

K1 Problems!

Old Feb 29th 2008, 4:57 am
Just Joined

bairno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K1 Problems!

Hi, I am due to be married to an american girl in July, and my H2B just ran out, and failed in getting a J1. Im undecided what to do, If she was to sponsor me for a K1 how long would it take to process, and also if i was in the States would i still have to return to the UK to get an interview? also what processes are in the K1? thanks
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:16 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 Problems!

Originally Posted by bairno
Hi, I am due to be married to an american girl in July, and my H2B just ran out, and failed in getting a J1. Im undecided what to do, If she was to sponsor me for a K1 how long would it take to process, and also if i was in the States would i still have to return to the UK to get an interview? also what processes are in the K1? thanks
Please clarify your status and what visa you are on; your past post has more detail that might matter to your answers.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:20 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Please clarify your status and what visa you are on; your past post has more detail that might matter to your answers.
As meauxna suggested, please clarify where you are physically at the moment. If you are inside the USA right now, what is your status?

This will help us answer your questions.

Rene
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:21 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

If she was to sponsor me for a K1 how long would it take to process...
Even if she were to file today, you wouldn't have a visa before July.

... and also if i was in the States would i still have to return to the UK to get an interview?
The whole point of a K-1 is to get you a visa so that you can *enter* the US... so yes, you must be outside of the US to get an interview. Where are you right now? In the US? If you are in the US, just get married now and file for adjustment.

Ian
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:34 am
Just Joined

:I am currently in the UK at the moment. The K1 is my last resort. Is there no way i can expedite it so i can get it asap. thanks
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:37 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

:I am currently in the UK at the moment. The K1 is my last resort. Is there no way i can expedite it so i can get it asap. thanks
No, sorry. The K-1 typically takes a total of about 8 to 10 months to process, from the time the USC files the I-129F until you get the K-1 visa in hand. I can pretty much bet you won't have it by July. I'd guess more like November or so.

Rene
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No, sorry. The K-1 typically takes a total of about 8 to 10 months to process, from the time the USC files the I-129F until you get the K-1 visa in hand. I can pretty much bet you won't have it by July. I'd guess more like November or so.

Rene
If you have your heart set on marrying in July, and you can't get out of something you booked in advance, you can always wait and come here in July on the VWP and get married. Of course after that, you must return to the UK for your spouse immigrant visa processing, which will take about 8 to 10 months as well. So it's an option, but it means actually *moving* to the USA at an even later date than with the K-1.

Rene
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:40 am
Just Joined

so i guess it would be better to just get married on a visa waiver then? if i did that and return what would that process be? thanks
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:41 am

so i guess it would be better to just get married on a visa waiver then? if i did that and return what would that process be? thanks
I described it above.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:42 am

Just out of curiosity, why would that be better? Because you can keep the July date?

As long as you know it means actually moving to the USA several months later than with the K-1....

Rene
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:50 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

if i did that and return what would that process be?
I'll just add that if you marry, you won't be doing a K-1... that's for a fiance. If you're already married, you'll need a spouse visa. The advantage, of course, is that you become a US permanent resident the day you enter the US and you can work and travel from day one. Your USC spouse should file form I-130 once you are married and have a copy of your marriage certificate.

Ian
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:56 am
Just Joined

thanks guys. much appreciated
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:58 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

No, you should've written in here around Jan 15 instead of going home.

You are going to have to change plans, I think.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 6:36 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

I don't answer timeline questions. However, depending upon the facts, it is sometimes possible to travel to countries other than the UK to obtain the visa.

There are other alternatives than the K-1.