K1: Notarised letter of intent

Wikiposts

K1: Notarised letter of intent

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 6:58 am
Just Joined

ZappBrannigan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K1: Notarised letter of intent

Hi there!

I'm an English guy getting married to an American lady, and I'm about to enter the final stage of the K1 process. My medical and interview have been scheduled, and now I'm just trying to make sure I panic about every single possible thing that might go wrong. I'm doing a very good job at this.

My fiancée found this invaluable thread where the lady mentioned that she had obtained a notarised letter of intent from her future spouse, and that this needed to be updated and re-notarised since it had been more than 4 months since the petition was approved. This applies to us too. However, my fiancée can't find any references to this on the Wiki, so she was wondering if this is necessary for every application. It's probably a good idea to get this done anyway, but we just wanted to check. Many thanks for your time.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 7:07 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1: Notarised letter of intent

It's a newly-added blurb to the appointment letters they send out now. It's a good idea to get it done, "just in case", but I am not 100% sure they need to be notarized.

Rene
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Check out the last paragraph on page 1 of this http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...ss_K_visas.pdf

(that was the IV-15 sublink from this http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/iv/iv_15.html )

Note the wording: "If more than 4 months has passed since the petition was approved, you will be required to furnish a notarized statement of your intent to marry within 90 days of your arrival in the U.S" (my emphasis).

That very much sugests that the alien fiance is required to get the updated letter notarised (as opposed to the USC) but in my case they asked for one from my US fiance. So maybe best bet is to get one from both of you, imho, just in case. Read this thread and particularly post 3 for precise info http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...magic+language

Edit - Welcome to Be

Last edited by YouWantFriesWithThat; Sep 22nd 2009 at 8:21 am.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:22 am
Just Joined

Hi there, just letting you know that I had my interview yesterday and all went well. I wasn't asked for a letter of intent at all, which was a relief as I'd balked at the idea of spending £60 on it. Oddly enough, I also wasn't asked for any of the forms I'd meticulously printed out (ds-156 etc) so I can only assume they don't ask for them unless they need clarification on something.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:54 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

We did not notarize the ones hubby took to his K1 interview, nor was he even asked for them. I would take one from each party just in case, but I wouldn't worry about having them notarized.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 1:43 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

ZB,

Hadn't you already submitted the DS-156 (electronically) prior to the interview being scheduled?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by ZappBrannigan
Hi there, just letting you know that I had my interview yesterday and all went well. ..... Oddly enough, I also wasn't asked for any of the forms I'd meticulously printed out (ds-156 etc) so I can only assume they don't ask for them unless they need clarification on something.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 1:47 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thought the letters of intent went with the I-129F to the service center and only a new one was required if the petition approval was over 4 months old.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 1:51 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rete
Thought the letters of intent went with the I-129F to the service center and only a new one was required if the petition approval was over 4 months old.
Yep - I think Fries' post addressed that. I should have clarified my earlier post a little, but even if petition approval was less than 4 months ago, I'd take them anyway. They're easy to do and I'd rather be safe than sorry. But I am the anal retentive sort, so...!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:05 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Which ZB wrote that his was.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Rete
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
ZB,

Hadn't you already submitted the DS-156 (electronically) prior to the interview being scheduled?

Regards, JEff
I was wondering that, although you can't submit them electronically. What happens is that you open up a unique form online, unique in the sense that a barcode gets printed into it. You complete it online, print it off and then submit it with the rest of the pre interview papers.

Last edited by YouWantFriesWithThat; Oct 7th 2009 at 4:43 am.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:35 am

YWFWT,

Thanks for correcting me, I must have misread the instructions for submitting the form.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by YouWantFriesWithThat
I was wondering that, although you can't submit them electronically. What happens is that you open up a unique form online, unique in the sense that it is a barcode printed into it. You complete it online, print it off and then submit it with the rest of the pre interview papers.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:39 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, just letting you know that I had my interview yesterday and all went well. I wasn't asked for a letter of intent at all, which was a relief as I'd balked at the idea of spending £60 on it. Oddly enough, I also wasn't asked for any of the forms I'd meticulously printed out (ds-156 etc) so I can only assume they don't ask for them unless they need clarification on something.
Didn't you submit your forms earlier, when you sent your checklist in?

Did you sign any forms in front of the officer?

What do I do first?

The biographic data form DS-23O-I should be completed for each person applying for a visa, regardless of age. The form may be photocopied if insufficient copies are received for each family member. The DS-230-I should be completed and returned immediately to the Immigrant Visa Unit at 5 Upper Grosvenor Street, London, W1A 2JB, in order for the Embassy to begin the administrative processing of the application. Failure to return the DS-230-I promptly will delay the processing of the application. At the same time, please complete and return the form DS-156 and DS-156K and DS-157. Note: Please do not sign the the DS-156 or DS-156K. The forms must be signed before a consular officer on the day of the visa interview.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
YWFWT,

Thanks for correcting me, I must have misread the instructions for submitting the form.

Regards, JEff
I initially assumed that they could be submitted electronically, too. I think the bank of 'evisa' documents that can be completed this way will slowly grow. Who knows, we may eventually be able to submit all of them online. Now that definitely is a recipe for chaos So probably not a good idea after all
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi there, just letting you know that I had my interview yesterday and all went well.
Congratulations, btw!!! Glad it all went OK
Old Oct 7th 2009, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Well, now I am extremely confused. I had been going on the following entry from the embassy's own website:

To begin processing your application, you are required to complete the Form DS-230-Part 1, Form DS-156 (in duplicate) and DS-157 (in duplicate) for each family member applying for a visa. In addition the principal applicant is required to complete form DS-156K.

Next, you are required to assemble all of the documents required in support of your application and return the Form IV-15K and document checklist. Please fill out the forms completely.

If a question does not apply to you, please mark it with a N/A. Do NOT send any documents to the Embassy with these forms. The documents must be presented to the consular officer on the day of the visa interview. The completed forms should be mailed to: The Immigrant Visa Unit, 5 Upper Grosvenor Street, London W1A 2JB.
This is a little ambiguous, as the wording of that entry suggests that you only return the form IV-15k and document checklist, so that's what I did, expecting to be asked for the other forms at my interview. I wasn't, but I was asked for the supporting evidence (police certificate, birth certificate, affidavit of support). The interviewers seemed happy with what I gave them. I was on the point of mentioning the other forms, but I figured they would have asked for them if they were required.

My visa was provisionally approved pending my medical results. Very odd. Perhaps I'll get a request for the other forms in the post at some point.

edit: thanks for the congrats, YouWantFriesWithThat! Our wedding is next month and I'm bursting with excitement.

edit edit: you know what? Perhaps in the stress and panic of the last couple of months, I did actually send the forms off and then convinced myself I'd screwed up instead. Ahhhh, visas. I'm normally such a calm, measured chap, but this whole process has turned me into a gibbering wreck. It's lucky both the interviewers were so pleasant; one tough question and I'd have thrown myself to the floor and screamed for mercy. As it was, the hardest question was "what quality is most annoying about your fiancée", to which I replied "would it be trite to say the fact that she's in a different country?" Instead of puking, the guy gave me a sweet smile and said "not at all. I'd say things like that if I wasn't so old and jaded."

Awww.

Last edited by ZappBrannigan; Oct 7th 2009 at 6:54 am.