Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 Medical Questionaire Advice.. pleae help..

Wikiposts

K1 Medical Questionaire Advice.. pleae help..

Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:44 am
Just Joined

ironsmurf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K1 Medical Questionaire Advice.. pleae help..

Hi All,

Im almost ready to book the medical and have the questionaire in front of me now.. Before I start Im by no means looking to lie I just want to get an opinion..
Question 7 states - Have you ever had any mental disorder or depression?
- Well Ive recently come of medication for anxiety and yup when the doc used to give me a little tick box test he'd say I was occasionally showing "signs" of mild depression.

Im looking at the way its worded and just don't know whether to tick the box.. what constitutes a mental disorder or depression. I can't ever remember being told you have an anxiety disorder or you have depression.. I have been treated for symptoms.. Does that make sense?..
I just want to do the right thing without causing myself more grief..

Too many varying opinions in visa journey so I thought Id try here..

Hope someone can help..
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:48 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 Medical Questionaire Advice.. pleae help..

Originally Posted by ironsmurf
Hi All,

Im almost ready to book the medical and have the questionaire in front of me now.. Before I start Im by no means looking to lie I just want to get an opinion..
Question 7 states - Have you ever had any mental disorder or depression?
- Well Ive recently come of medication for anxiety and yup when the doc used to give me a little tick box test he'd say I was occasionally showing "signs" of mild depression.

Im looking at the way its worded and just don't know whether to tick the box.. what constitutes a mental disorder or depression. I can't ever remember being told you have an anxiety disorder or you have depression.. I have been treated for symptoms.. Does that make sense?..
I just want to do the right thing without causing myself more grief..

Too many varying opinions in visa journey so I thought Id try here..

Hope someone can help..
If you were on medication for anxiety, and the doc specifically mentioned signs of mild depression, I would take that as a "yes" answer.

You might want to get something in writing from your doctor to show the civil surgeon at your medical exam, which states you are now off the medication and don't have the symptoms of depression anymore.

Rene
Old Feb 7th 2011, 6:03 am
Just Joined

I will do exactly that.. thankyou so much..
With reference to medical records.. what happens to them once (hopefully) im in the states.. does immigration take them or anyone else have access to them? do I take them with me? To be honest the reason I ask this is that now that Im over this problem I kind of want it kept in the past..
Old Feb 7th 2011, 6:09 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I will do exactly that.. thankyou so much..
With reference to medical records.. what happens to them once (hopefully) im in the states.. does immigration take them or anyone else have access to them? do I take them with me? To be honest the reason I ask this is that now that Im over this problem I kind of want it kept in the past..
You don't need to bring your medical records with you to the USA. The civil surgeon who does your visa medical keeps that information also, but you should get a record of your vaccinations to bring with you to the USA, you'll need that to continue your AOS process once in the USA.

I understand about keeping it in the past, but don't forget if you go to a doctor here in the USA in the future, it might be helpful for him to know your complete medical history...I mean, you don't need to show your old records, but also don't hide anything from your new doctor.

Rene
Old Feb 7th 2011, 6:14 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You don't need to bring your medical records with you to the USA. The civil surgeon who does your visa medical keeps that information also, but you should get a record of your vaccinations to bring with you to the USA, you'll need that to continue your AOS process once in the USA.
Just to highlight, because people still miss this, when you attend the medical exam, ask the doctor's office for a copy of your DS-vaccination form (the one they are submitting to the Embassy). As a K-1, you will need this for your AOS.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Good point.. I suppose im being a bit naive saying it will NEVER happen again.. by medical records i don't mean the results of the k1 medical.. I mean my actual full medical history currently residing with my GP.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 8:26 am

Good point.. I suppose im being a bit naive saying it will NEVER happen again.. by medical records i don't mean the results of the k1 medical.. I mean my actual full medical history currently residing with my GP.
Right. You do not need to bring your actual full medical history (from your GP) with you to the USA.

You will need to ask the visa medical doctor for a copy of the DS-vaccination form, you will need that once you get to the USA in order to adjust your status.

Rene