Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1/K3 Step by Step guides... please review :)

Wikiposts

K1/K3 Step by Step guides... please review :)

Old Mar 24th 2004, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K1/K3 Step by Step guides... please review :)

Disclaimer: These guides are not intended to address every possible scenario and certainly do not apply to any specific case. They are intended to be general guidelines that can assist people in understanding the entire process required by the US Citizen when petitioning for a K1/K3. The terms and conditions at the bottom of the guides should be understood by all users reading prior to reading the guides.

With that said.....

Can anyone interested please review these step-by-step guides.... these will be a great addition to the FAQ's and the Visajourney / BritishExats / alt.visa.us.marriage-based community.

Here are the links:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=k1guide

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=k3guide

Please feel free to critique them and let me know any errors or ommisions you find.

Thanks everyone!
-Steve
Old Mar 24th 2004, 9:01 pm
capt. kirk

Default Re: K1/K3 Step by Step guides... please review :)

thanks

Originally posted by Steve2003
Disclaimer: These guides are not intended to address every possible scenario and certainly do not apply to any specific case. They are intended to be general guidelines that can assist people in understanding the entire process required by the US Citizen when petitioning for a K1/K3. The terms and conditions at the bottom of the guides should be understood by all users reading prior to reading the guides.

With that said.....

Can anyone interested please review these step-by-step guides.... these will be a great addition to the FAQ's and the Visajourney / BritishExats / alt.visa.us.marriage-based community.

Here are the links:

Please feel free to critique them and let me know any errors or ommisions you find.

Thanks everyone!
-Steve

Old Mar 24th 2004, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Buendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the rough

Maybe just a statement next to birth cert, marriage cert and divorce decrees that says "contact the local authority to determine that the documents you have are official documents" which would alert people to the potential RFE problem?

Also, to help people avoid RFEs - maybe include a link the the USCISs filing guidelines which recommend clips rather than a notebook/binder, marking the envelope and cover letter with "Original Submission for K3 Visa", tabs on the bottom only, order of assembly, photos in a separate envelope...

Also, shouldn't there be a marriage certificate mailed with the I-129f?

Maybe a step after "mail the I-129f to the Chicago office" that says "Begin assembling information for the interview - vaccination records, police records, I-134 - since these take time to gather"

After "What to send your spouse..." maybe another section that says "Packet 3" and describes how the embassy sends packet 3 and your spouse needs the medical, and how the embassy schedules an interview (varies by consulate).

Hope these comments help!

With that said.....

Here are the links:

Thanks everyone!
-Steve
Old Mar 25th 2004, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Buendia
Maybe just a statement next to birth cert, marriage cert and divorce decrees that says "contact the local authority to determine that the documents you have are official documents" which would alert people to the potential RFE problem?

Also, to help people avoid RFEs - maybe include a link the the USCISs filing guidelines which recommend clips rather than a notebook/binder, marking the envelope and cover letter with "Original Submission for K3 Visa", tabs on the bottom only, order of assembly, photos in a separate envelope...

Also, shouldn't there be a marriage certificate mailed with the I-129f?

Maybe a step after "mail the I-129f to the Chicago office" that says "Begin assembling information for the interview - vaccination records, police records, I-134 - since these take time to gather"

After "What to send your spouse..." maybe another section that says "Packet 3" and describes how the embassy sends packet 3 and your spouse needs the medical, and how the embassy schedules an interview (varies by consulate).

Hope these comments help!
There is a link at the top of each package linking to directions on how to bind / label the packages... Marriage cert is not needed, it is for the I-130. When you send a copy of the noa1 from the I-130, that gives evidence that you must already qualify (are married) for a K-3 (however, you spouse may need it at the interview later). I will add the extar thigs 'to get prepared' ahead of time. That will remind people like you said. I purposely avoided the last part for this and the K-1 guide b/c every embassy has their own quirks, and all things aside, this part (the spouse's / fiance(e)'s part is very straight forward. I may make seperate guides for the foreign spouses/fiance's once the ball is in their court.

thanks for you input. I will update the list tonight accordingly.

-Steve
Old Mar 25th 2004, 2:27 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Steve,

Your item #4 under proof of having met does nothing to prove that a couple has met. It does go towards documenting the relationship, optional information that can be provided to support the statements of intent, but that is a different issue.

Why do you recommend that the ADIT photos, 1 each of the petitioner and the beneficiary, be attached to the G-325A supplemental information forms? The USCIS filing instructions say to attach them to the relevant application, which in this case is the I-129f.

Regards, JEff

With that said.....

Here are the links:

Thanks everyone!
-Steve
Old Mar 25th 2004, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

d_medina is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a link at the top of each package linking to directions on how to bind / label the packages... Marriage cert is not needed, it is for the I-130. When you send a copy of the noa1 from the I-130, that gives evidence that you must already qualify (are married) for a K-3 (however, you spouse may need it at the interview later). I will add the extar thigs 'to get prepared' ahead of time. That will remind people like you said. I purposely avoided the last part for this and the K-1 guide b/c every embassy has their own quirks, and all things aside, this part (the spouse's / fiance(e)'s part is very straight forward. I may make seperate guides for the foreign spouses/fiance's once the ball is in their court.

thanks for you input. I will update the list tonight accordingly.

-Steve
Hi Steve, I do believe that a copy of marriage certificate should be sent for a K3 I-129F. That is how you qualify for a K3 in the first place and it is evidence that I bet they would want just to make sure that in fact it's your spouse.

Personally I also sent in a copy of my completely filled out I-130. I look at the reasons others received RFEs and I try to avoid that by taking it into account when I prepared my package.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh forgot! Jeffrey when I sent my petitions in I always attached ADIT photos to the pertaining G-325A. It did not create any problems. My I129F for the K1 visa was approved in less than a month.

Last edited by d_medina; Mar 25th 2004 at 3:37 am.
Old Mar 25th 2004, 5:49 am
Just Joined

yorkshiregirl is an unknown quantity at this point

With that said.....

Can anyone interested please review these step-by-step guides.... these will be a great addition to the FAQ's and the Visajourney / BritishExats / alt.visa.us.marriage-based community

Here are the links:

Thanks everyone!
-Steve

I just read the K3 Guide.
In the section What to send to your Spouse once the I-129F is approved (NOA2):

#2 - if you click on I-134 it sends you to G325A page.

The reason I found this as I wasn't sure what the I-134 was as at my London K3 interview I wasn't required to submit an Affidavit of Support. I contacted the US Embassy to confirm this. However, I did have to prove that I had adequate means of financial support - and submitted a solicitor's letter ( I was about to inherit some money) which was satisfactory. We will have to do the Affidavit of Support when filing for AOS.
Old Mar 25th 2004, 7:27 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Steve

You need the marriage certificate to qualify for the K3, if the cert isn't in english.. you also need a translation, been there,done that
Old Mar 25th 2004, 9:32 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by d_medina
Hi Steve, I do believe that a copy of marriage certificate should be sent for a K3 I-129F. That is how you qualify for a K3 in the first place and it is evidence that I bet they would want just to make sure that in fact it's your spouse.
Plus, providing them information (marriage certificate) as to "where" the marriage took place will help them know which Consulate must be used for processing the K-3/4 visa(s) (assuming the marriage happened somewhere other than the U.S.). (I have not reviewed your guides, and I'm simply making this comment based upon the other comments expressed in this thread).
Old Mar 25th 2004, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Matthew Udall
Plus, providing them information (marriage certificate) as to "where" the marriage took place will help them know which Consulate must be used for processing the K-3/4 visa(s) (assuming the marriage happened somewhere other than the U.S.). (I have not reviewed your guides, and I'm simply making this comment based upon the other comments expressed in this thread).
point understood. I will place a reco0mmendation that the marriage certificate (an official copy) be included in the I-129F package.