Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 or K3 at Mumbai, India!! Very confused abot what they are saying!!

Wikiposts

K1 or K3 at Mumbai, India!! Very confused abot what they are saying!!

Old Dec 4th 2002, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

saha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K1 or K3 at Mumbai, India!! Very confused abot what they are saying!!

Can any one tell us what kind of visa you are expected to receive.

The Mumbai consulate not only telling you the truth but also confusing us.

They ask my wife that what is the differnece between K1 & K3 since she will get visa only for 3 months. That means they will give 3 months visa either in the form of K1 or K3 which is scary.

I do not know why Mumbai is saying so. It is difficult to remain quite after learning such a stupif information from them.

My question is K3 is a three 2 years visa, right?

If so then why they are doing this?
Old Dec 4th 2002, 8:26 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 or K3 at Mumbai, India!! Very confused abot what they are saying!!

Originally posted by saha
Can any one tell us what kind of visa you are expected to receive.

The Mumbai consulate not only telling you the truth but also confusing us.

They ask my wife that what is the differnece between K1 & K3 since she will get visa only for 3 months. That means they will give 3 months visa either in the form of K1 or K3 which is scary.

I do not know why Mumbai is saying so. It is difficult to remain quite after learning such a stupif information from them.

My question is K3 is a three 2 years visa, right?

If so then why they are doing this?
My question is what is a three 2 years visa? No such animal.

Your wife should have told them that the difference between a K-1 and K-3 is that the K-1 is a Fiancee Visa. It is a visa that gives an UNMARRIED person permission to enter the US to marry within 90 days the person who petitioned for them.

Your wife should have then told them that a K-3 visa is a visa used for MARRIED persons and it is INS' permission to enter the US to be with their spouse while pursuing adjustment of status. The K-3 gives the recipient 3 years in which to apply for adjustment of status.

I honestly do not believe that the US Consulate can alter the timeline of an INS visa. If the regulations call for 3 years, then it is good for 3 years.

R
Old Dec 4th 2002, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Rete:

I meant 2 years ( now you said 3 year). Sorry, typo error. LOL

Now, you are right and so as the rest of the world. Remember there was a posting where Mumbai issued K1 instead of K3.

Besides that if you tell them they get angry and personal. Typical Indian mentality, kind of helpless situation. If you tell them they will say if you know so much then why you asking us. On the other hand they will do whatever they fell like.

I have advised my wife accordingly as you have said, but my fear is the people there are not willing to give you a chance to speak. Besides most of the time they tell you wrong or lie. I have experienced it many times.

I do not know how to deal with them.
Old Dec 4th 2002, 9:49 am
Just Joined

Jupiter is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps you should let the process takes its own due course. Seems like you are anxious to know their each and every step of their move - what and how they deal with your case - & ready to pounce on them at the slightest sign of an error. Not getting enough information from within those walls, you are now anticipating problems and trying to outwit them even before anything has started. A typical Indian culture here, if you will.

Therefore they are right by telling you to stop questioning their intelligence. Anxiety and nervousness is understandable. But it wont help expedite your case or its outcome.

If you have applied for a visa for your wife, then she will Definitely be issued one (except under certain conditions of course). It is just a question of time.

Your process have hardly begun and you have a long way to go, and already you have joined the ranks of Tara and Amys by calling the consulate wrongdoers and liars.

j

Thanks Rete:

I meant 2 years ( now you said 3 year). Sorry, typo error. LOL

Now, you are right and so as the rest of the world. Remember there was a posting where Mumbai issued K1 instead of K3.

Besides that if you tell them they get angry and personal. Typical Indian mentality, kind of helpless situation. If you tell them they will say if you know so much then why you asking us. On the other hand they will do whatever they fell like.

I have advised my wife accordingly as you have said, but my fear is the people there are not willing to give you a chance to speak. Besides most of the time they tell you wrong or lie. I have experienced it many times.

I do not know how to deal with them.
Old Dec 4th 2002, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Jupiter:

Comments appreciated! Please stop oppinionating in future om my posting. I do not need your criticism, perhaps help would have been nice.

I came here for help not for your criticism and pleae leave us alone (including whoever that amy and tara may be).

Mind your own business because you do not know what is place called "MUMBAI". PLEASE make no more comment on my case. Close your big mouth and leave, please!!

Again, I am here for help, not to listen your criticism. I am telling what I was told by that place, not playing my own speculations and mind game.
Old Dec 4th 2002, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

Jupiter:

Comments appreciated! Please stop oppinionating in future om my posting. I do not need your criticism, perhaps help would have been nice.

I came here for help not for your criticism and pleae leave us alone (including whoever that amy and tara may be).

Mind your own business because you do not know what is place called "MUMBAI". PLEASE make no more comment on my case. Close your big mouth and leave, please!!

Again, I am here for help, not to listen your criticism. I am telling what I was told by that place, not playing my own speculations and mind game.
I don't think that his post was a critique but rather that he was offering an advice.

I am not familiar with the Mumbai consulate, but I think that the advice of letting the process take its own course is a good one. It is not always easy and often nerve wrecking to let the consulate/INS in charge, but there is nothing that you can really do. You did your best, now follow up and keep a close eye on your application. When/if there is problem, then start to worry. When/if they issue the K1 visa instead of the K3, it should not be a problem to get it fixed and then they can see that you have a real reason of being unhappy with them (somebody from India had that problem a couple weeks ago and went back to the consulate to get a K3 instead. If your wife realizes it on the spot, it is already a plus).

From my experience, the INS does not understand the "if" questions. Either a situation has happened and then it maybe requires their attention, or it has not happened and therefore they find it useless to speculate on it.

Good luck!
Caroline
Old Dec 4th 2002, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Jupiter is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry dude, i wonder what brings you to this forum. Your posts indicate you'd prefer to hear from readers who will give you a magic wand and tell you the things you'd rather choose to hear.

But let me wish you the very best with your wife's visa.
Given your friendly attitude, You will certainly need it. Lots of it.

Best,
Jupiter

Jupiter:

Last edited by Jupiter; Dec 4th 2002 at 1:07 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2002, 1:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 or K3 at Mumbai, India!! Very confused abot what they are saying!!

If it comes down to her being given a K-1 Fiancee Visa, have her politely advise them that she can't use it because she is married and not a fiancee although she would be willing to marry you all over again. But she doesn't think it would be legal. ;-) As Mr. F has said in the past, sugar catches the flies. For me, I always think a little humour helps to shift the embarrassment away from the person who just put their foot, leg and arse in their mouth.

Rete
Old Dec 4th 2002, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Jupiter:

Appreciate all your wishes and support. Sorry if my remarks makes any hard feeling to any one.

I hope you all understand how tender is our emotion right now. It has been months if not years most of us are apart from our loved once. On top of that the almighty INS, NVC, State Department and finally consulate, any extra criticism from some one else can well be little too much at times.

This is the only place where we get together and share each other feelings and seek out help. Of course we seek out to every one for comfort and help. No doubt I have received plenty of that here and I find myself very fortunate about that. But if we can be bit extra careful regarding our tenderness to others that will keep all of us happy. It is very easy to overact on things since our emotion is on edge.

Lets exercise our extreme tenderness and share our help and care to the in the most sophisticated way. Some reason I found your response to my posting bit criticize in nature while I was trying to share my experience rather speculations and perhaps I reacted overly. Definitely I could have done much better job than that. Here is my apology on offer.

I wish all of you the very best. Thanks for the care.