Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 and K2 AOS appointment

Wikiposts

K1 and K2 AOS appointment

Old Jun 15th 2005, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Lara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to behold
Default K1 and K2 AOS appointment

Can someone tell if it is usual for K1 and K2 to have different AOS appointment dates???
Old Jun 15th 2005, 12:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 and K2 AOS appointment

Originally Posted by Lara45
Can someone tell if it is usual for K1 and K2 to have different AOS appointment dates???

Yes, it is very common for the CIS to schedule different appointment dates for AOS for parent and child. It doesn't matter if you arrived with a tourist visa or a K visa, adjustment is handled the same way regardless.

If you have an appointment and your daughter doesn't, it does absolutely no good to write anyone about this in CIS. They will never answer you. The best course of action you can take is to make an Infopass appointment with Atlanta and talk to someone about your daughter's interview date. If they are willing they can pull her file and see if the interviewer will interview both of you together on the scheduled appointment date. If not, then she will get another date for an interview separate from yours.

Rete
Old Jun 19th 2005, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Lara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes, it is very common for the CIS to schedule different appointment dates for AOS for parent and child. It doesn't matter if you arrived with a tourist visa or a K visa, adjustment is handled the same way regardless.

If you have an appointment and your daughter doesn't, it does absolutely no good to write anyone about this in CIS. They will never answer you. The best course of action you can take is to make an Infopass appointment with Atlanta and talk to someone about your daughter's interview date. If they are willing they can pull her file and see if the interviewer will interview both of you together on the scheduled appointment date. If not, then she will get another date for an interview separate from yours.

Rete
Thank you for your reply Rete!! Well I tried to make an infoposs appointment but the only dates they have are 30th June and 1st July. We are going to the UK on 29th June (my daughter is already there) and coming back on 13th July. I wonder whether we should just try and do a "walk in" at Atlanta?? Having just read another post on here about someone missing their interview because they never received their appointment letter (Atlanta) I'm in a right state of panic now ... I don't want her refused entry on 13th July because she never got her letter (assuming theyve sent one out that is) ...
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you for your reply Rete!! Well I tried to make an infoposs appointment but the only dates they have are 30th June and 1st July. We are going to the UK on 29th June (my daughter is already there) and coming back on 13th July. I wonder whether we should just try and do a "walk in" at Atlanta?? Having just read another post on here about someone missing their interview because they never received their appointment letter (Atlanta) I'm in a right state of panic now ... I don't want her refused entry on 13th July because she never got her letter (assuming theyve sent one out that is) ...

Oh well so much for us trying to do a walk-in!! We went down to Atanta this morning and no one would see us so without an infopass ... (nothing ventured ... nothing gained) .. there's nothing I can do now until we return from the UK on 13th July and then I'll make an appointment..
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

It happens. If it were my case, I would write the AOS unit with a copy of both interview notices and ask them to combine the cases and notify them that BOTH of you will be appearing on the FIRST interview date. Mention that you are doing this for the "convenience of the government" so THEY can take care of both cases in one interview. Then follow through. BOTH of you show up.

I've had this happen in Los Angeles and CIS has gotten the file to have both heard at the same time. You may want to show up early to the interview to let them do this.

If they refuse to combine the interviews, nothing lost by trying.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

It happens. If it were my case, I would write the AOS unit with a copy of both interview notices and ask them to combine the cases and notify them that BOTH of you will be appearing on the FIRST interview date. Mention that you are doing this for the "convenience of the government" so THEY can take care of both cases in one interview. Then follow through. BOTH of you show up.

I've had this happen in Los Angeles and CIS has gotten the file to have both heard at the same time. You may want to show up early to the interview to let them do this.

If they refuse to combine the interviews, nothing lost by trying.
Thank you very much for your response. I haven't actually received my daughter's appointment letter though and this is what I'm trying to clarify. We've had problems with other mail not arriving and I"m concerned that they may have sent her an appointment letter and it hasn't actually arrived here.

My daughter is only 8 years of age - Rete has said that it is common for different appointment dates for a K1 and K2 - what is worrying me is that an appointment MAY have been sent and never arrived and even more worrying is that if this has happened and she never turned up for an appointment because we never received it - how would that effect her actually re-entering the USA???

Even though I received an appointment letter the online status never changed or gave any indication of an appointment being made. Therefore I can't rely on my daughter's online status.

I keep telling myself that surely they wouldn't set an appointment date for her BEFORE I had mine??? My thinking being that she derives status as a K2 through me i.e a K1.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 3:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I keep telling myself that surely they wouldn't set an appointment date for her BEFORE I had mine??? My thinking being that she derives status as a K2 through me i.e a K1.
Well that would also imply that a K2 can not AOS until the K1 has, I did not think that by this stage that was true.

I have my AOS interview with no change in the on line status.

When it comes down to it, there is nothing that you can do. I take it she has AP, so for something to go wrong, they would have to have had scheduled her interview, her not show up, cancelled her AOS, update their records and past the information to the POE system for them to know. Sounds a bit unlikely. Hopefully you would get Humanitarian Parole in those circumstances.

Well my view anyway, hopefully somebody will correct me if I am wrong.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 4:29 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
Well that would also imply that a K2 can not AOS until the K1 has, I did not think that by this stage that was true.

I have my AOS interview with no change in the on line status.

When it comes down to it, there is nothing that you can do. I take it she has AP, so for something to go wrong, they would have to have had scheduled her interview, her not show up, cancelled her AOS, update their records and past the information to the POE system for them to know. Sounds a bit unlikely. Hopefully you would get Humanitarian Parole in those circumstances.

Well my view anyway, hopefully somebody will correct me if I am wrong.
Hi:

I've had situations where the dependents HAVE been scheduled for interviews WITHOUT the principle applicant being scheduled at all! The CIS has recovered the principle file in such cases. Do remember that, as an attorney, I was able to get into the right places to have it taken care of. The normal procedures did NOT cover such a situation.