Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 issued - need advice on work authorization

K1 issued - need advice on work authorization

Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 issued - need advice on work authorization

Originally Posted by meauxna
Did Keith actually get the "EAD" employment authorization stamp at JFK?
Because if he got the I-551 stamp, he's now a Permanent Resident. (and saved you +a thousand bucks!)

lofty, what Tracy describes is what "should" be done.
You may want to drop back into your SSA office this week and check up on your application; they are supposed to hold it and re-check for you every couple of days.
You may find when you go in that your application has gone through and they can give you the number (card will still be mailed).

I'll see if I can find Mike's tip sheet for following up on the verification business. It's a PITA I tell ya. You'd think every office would simply look up how to do it if they don't know.
lol no I am an idiot (tired ) I mean just the temp EAD stamp, will go back and edit my post.

SSN part was correct though.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:13 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
lol no I am an idiot (tired ) I mean just the temp EAD stamp, will go back and edit my post.

SSN part was correct though.
Darn about that thousand then.

Great news on your SS story!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lofty79
Sorry if i'm gate-crashing this thread a little, but i have a quick question re. SSN.

I arrived in the US on 13th March on a K-1. Last week, three weeks after arrival - i applied for my SSN at the local SSA office and all seemed fine - no questions asked about marital status (i married a week previously.) Before i left, the girl who proccessed my application said something along the lines of - "immigration need to verify your documents so i will be sending copies to them" - and took photo-copies of my I-94 and passport. She also handed me a letter telling me the same thing and that verification will take up to four weeks, and subsequent card production a further two weeks.

My question is - does this sound normal or have i fallen foul of the, not yet in the system scernario? At first i thought it was all normal since she already had the letter ready printed, however reading around here i have found no mention of it normally taking 6 weeks, only the two weeks for card production.

Cheers
Sounds to me like they are doing the manual verification thing, although I don't know why. Could be for some odd reason your info was not in the system when she checked, or could be she didn't check and thinks everyone needs to be manually verified.

If I were you, I'd go back again and get a different person at the window, and if they still tell you this, ask them why you have to have manual verification done? You can try to speak with a supervisor, but I tried this once with an issue my husband was having with SS, and NO amount of asking the man behind the window would make him go away and bring forth a supervisor. He just kept repeating no, I can't do that. No, I can't do that. I was afraid they'd send the guard or something after me, so I just gave up and took my frustration out on here. LOL

Rene
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

lofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Sounds to me like they are doing the manual verification thing, although I don't know why. Could be for some odd reason your info was not in the system when she checked, or could be she didn't check and thinks everyone needs to be manually verified.

If I were you, I'd go back again and get a different person at the window, and if they still tell you this, ask them why you have to have manual verification done? You can try to speak with a supervisor, but I tried this once with an issue my husband was having with SS, and NO amount of asking the man behind the window would make him go away and bring forth a supervisor. He just kept repeating no, I can't do that. No, I can't do that. I was afraid they'd send the guard or something after me, so I just gave up and took my frustration out on here. LOL

Rene
Quick update.....i received a letter in the mail on Saturday saying that my card will be with me in two weeks

I guess either the manual verification went through very quickly, or someone noticed that i was indeed on the system (as i should have been after three weeks, surely) and put things back on the right track. Now i can either go into the office to find out my number, or await delivery of my card

Thanks for the advice

Alan