Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 Interview and Medical Experience

Wikiposts

K1 Interview and Medical Experience

Old Feb 18th 2004, 9:41 am
Expert ping ponger

HighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default K1 Interview and Medical Experience

To All interested

Well I have the K1 visa in my grubby little paws. I got it yesterday.

Here is how it went:

Flew down from Glasgow, after work on Monday and checked into the Concorde Hotel (**) just after 21:00. Only cost me £50, plus it was diagonally across from the infamous Dr Phelan's office. Got a wake up call for 6:30, did my usual exercises and then hopped in for a shower 7:00. The hotel booking included a breakfast, at the Bryanston hotel, one door down, directly across from Dr Phelan's office. Breakfast is available from 7:30 onwards. I made my way down for breakfast, just after 7:30 and was surprised to see a que already forming outside Dr Phelan's office. Nontheless I needed breakfast and that was that. Quickly wolfed down a bowl of cereal and a cup of tea, then dashed across the road, to join the grwoing que. The weather was absolutely miserable yesterday. We waited in the que for about 10 minutes, with it drizzling. Once they let us in at 8:00, we were all presented with the pink plastice folder, containing a information card explaining everything that would be happening at the medical. The receptionist then asked for us to put our medical questionaire (Pkt 4), 1 passport photo and any vaccination records, into the pink plastice folder and hand it in. I was the first to hand mine in and was the first called up to pay the £125 and sign the photo. Then it was off downstairs, after being handed a green folder, with basically everything from the pink folder. This was then put in a green file holder on the wall, directly infront of you, as you come down the stairs, towards the waiting room. The nurse then collects the the green folders and begins to call each of us in , to go over the vaccine history and to take a blood sample for HIV and veneral diseases. After that, I was sent through to the X-Ray chap, to get the chest X-ray which was done within a few minutes. Next we had to wait for the doctor to call us, while still naked from the waist up. Once called into the doctor's office, he went through the vaccination history and was happy with mine. I didn't have my original vaccination history, so I had my MMR and TD shots done again, via the NHS, absolutely free. Then it was a general check for pulse rate, listenting to your chest with the stethoscope, checking my hands (don't know for what?) ,checking for hernias and then a brief look under my briefs (no pun intended). All in all a fairly quick medical examination. After that he said I could proceed to the interview at the embassy. Before leaving you are given your chest X-rays.

From the medical, I wlaked down Grt Cumberland Place, took a left on Oxford Street, then a right on Park Street, till I got to Upper Grosvenor Street. Took about a 10min walk. Once at the embasy 10:20ish , I presented my interview appointment letter and wad allowed straight in, without joining the que. Next you will have to put any bags or other possesion through an x-ray machine. After that, you will go up the stairs to the main entrance, where I was presented with another security guy, who asked for any cellphones or cameras to be handed in. He in turn gave me a number for me to reclaim my cellphone, when I left. You take the stiars to the right and the door will be unlocked as you approach it. Once inside I went straight to booth 1 to hand in my appoinment letter. One can go to booth 1 through to 4 to do this. After the guy accepted my letter, I was told to sit down. 20 minutes later, I was called up to booth 4, where I was asked to supply my birth certificates, police certificates, affadavit of support. Original and 1 copy. Also 2 addit photos. Then I was asked to sign the forms that were explicitly told not to sign in Packet 3.
I was then told to sit down again and would be called up shortly. Roughly another 30min passed, before i was called up to booth 6. The immigration ofice asked me to take an oath that all data I provided was truthful. He then proceeded to ask, where I had met Jamie, how long we had been physically together in total, what job she had, when we planned to marry and where we planned to marry. He then perused throughy the affadavit of support and glancing through Jamie's bank statements. Suddenly I was presented with another form to sign and was hearing the words: "Congratulations". However he was quick to add provisionally, depending on medical results. I could almost taste the success, but not quite. He then told me to return for 12:30. So off I went in search of some grub and a strong cup of coffee to calm my nerves. I returned at 12:30 and waited till 13:30 before my name was called out. Yep it was official, my medical results were clear, there I officially was a K1 visa holder. Yippeeee!!!! I was then given the the "yellow" envelope and told not to pen it. A copy of my vaccination report was also presented to me and I was informed of when, how and where I needed to use my K1 visa. That was that and I was out like a shot, frantically dialing my gorgeous fiancee, Jamie, to tell her the good news. It was strange, because there was such a big builup to the whole process, filled with lots of stress, but receiving it so easily on the day, almost had an anticlimatic feel to it. However, now I am really excitied, I guess it took a while to sink in, that I actually had the K1 visa in my hands.

Well I hope this helps any future K1 interviewees. If you have any questions, fire away and i will try to answer then to the best of my ability. Good luck to all K1 interviewees with interviews coming up. If you have done your homeowrk, you will be fine.

Cheers

Scott
Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 Interview and Medical Experience

Originally posted by HighlandPenguin
Then it was a general check for pulse rate, listenting to your chest with the stethoscope, checking my hands (don't know for what?) ,checking for hernias and then a brief look under my briefs (no pun intended). All in all a fairly quick medical examination.
A brief look, eh? That's my job dang it! Love you honey! I'm soo glad the day went so smoothly for us.

Love you,
Jamie
Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

NatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really nice

Hey Scott,

Congrats on receiving your K-1 Visa. I actually have my interview and medical a week from today. I have all my documents ready. Although there is one thing that has been bugging me, which is kinda silly but oh well. At the embassy which entrance do you go through. Is it the main main entrance or is it straight down and then make a right to the entrance there?

I was at the embassy last year for a tourist visa and I was one of those people queuing outside. I was send straight down to the bottom of the embassy I made a right and went up some stairs and through the entrance. I was just wondering if it was the same entrance I go through or if I go through the other main entrance.

I know silly question, but it's been bugging me for a while.
Thanks
Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:11 am
Sleep? What's that?

bubbadog has a spectacular aura aboutbubbadog has a spectacular aura aboutbubbadog has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the report Scott! I'm sending my fiance the link, as his interview is next month. Congrats to both of you...we wanna see wedding pictures!!!
Old Feb 18th 2004, 12:36 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

To All interested

Well I have the K1 visa in my grubby little paws. I got it yesterday.

Here is how it went:

Flew down from Glasgow, after work on Monday and checked into the Concorde Hotel (**) just after 21:00. Only cost me £50, plus it was diagonally across from the infamous Dr Phelan's office. Got a wake up call for 6:30, did my usual exercises and then hopped in for a shower 7:00. The hotel booking included a breakfast, at the Bryanston hotel, one door down, directly across from Dr Phelan's office. Breakfast is available from 7:30 onwards. I made my way down for breakfast, just after 7:30 and was surprised to see a que already forming outside Dr Phelan's office. Nontheless I needed breakfast and that was that. Quickly wolfed down a bowl of cereal and a cup of tea, then dashed across the road, to join the grwoing que. The weather was absolutely miserable yesterday. We waited in the que for about 10 minutes, with it drizzling. Once they let us in at 8:00, we were all presented with the pink plastice folder, containing a information card explaining everything that would be happening at the medical. The receptionist then asked for us to put our medical questionaire (Pkt 4), 1 passport photo and any vaccination records, into the pink plastice folder and hand it in. I was the first to hand mine in and was the first called up to pay the £125 and sign the photo. Then it was off downstairs, after being handed a green folder, with basically everything from the pink folder. This was then put in a green file holder on the wall, directly infront of you, as you come down the stairs, towards the waiting room. The nurse then collects the the green folders and begins to call each of us in , to go over the vaccine history and to take a blood sample for HIV and veneral diseases. After that, I was sent through to the X-Ray chap, to get the chest X-ray which was done within a few minutes. Next we had to wait for the doctor to call us, while still naked from the waist up. Once called into the doctor's office, he went through the vaccination history and was happy with mine. I didn't have my original vaccination history, so I had my MMR and TD shots done again, via the NHS, absolutely free. Then it was a general check for pulse rate, listenting to your chest with the stethoscope, checking my hands (don't know for what?) ,checking for hernias and then a brief look under my briefs (no pun intended). All in all a fairly quick medical examination. After that he said I could proceed to the interview at the embassy. Before leaving you are given your chest X-rays.

From the medical, I wlaked down Grt Cumberland Place, took a left on Oxford Street, then a right on Park Street, till I got to Upper Grosvenor Street. Took about a 10min walk. Once at the embasy 10:20ish , I presented my interview appointment letter and wad allowed straight in, without joining the que. Next you will have to put any bags or other possesion through an x-ray machine. After that, you will go up the stairs to the main entrance, where I was presented with another security guy, who asked for any cellphones or cameras to be handed in. He in turn gave me a number for me to reclaim my cellphone, when I left. You take the stiars to the right and the door will be unlocked as you approach it. Once inside I went straight to booth 1 to hand in my appoinment letter. One can go to booth 1 through to 4 to do this. After the guy accepted my letter, I was told to sit down. 20 minutes later, I was called up to booth 4, where I was asked to supply my birth certificates, police certificates, affadavit of support. Original and 1 copy. Also 2 addit photos. Then I was asked to sign the forms that were explicitly told not to sign in Packet 3.
I was then told to sit down again and would be called up shortly. Roughly another 30min passed, before i was called up to booth 6. The immigration ofice asked me to take an oath that all data I provided was truthful. He then proceeded to ask, where I had met Jamie, how long we had been physically together in total, what job she had, when we planned to marry and where we planned to marry. He then perused throughy the affadavit of support and glancing through Jamie's bank statements. Suddenly I was presented with another form to sign and was hearing the words: "Congratulations". However he was quick to add provisionally, depending on medical results. I could almost taste the success, but not quite. He then told me to return for 12:30. So off I went in search of some grub and a strong cup of coffee to calm my nerves. I returned at 12:30 and waited till 13:30 before my name was called out. Yep it was official, my medical results were clear, there I officially was a K1 visa holder. Yippeeee!!!! I was then given the the "yellow" envelope and told not to pen it. A copy of my vaccination report was also presented to me and I was informed of when, how and where I needed to use my K1 visa. That was that and I was out like a shot, frantically dialing my gorgeous fiancee, Jamie, to tell her the good news. It was strange, because there was such a big builup to the whole process, filled with lots of stress, but receiving it so easily on the day, almost had an anticlimatic feel to it. However, now I am really excitied, I guess it took a while to sink in, that I actually had the K1 visa in my hands.

Well I hope this helps any future K1 interviewees. If you have any questions, fire away and i will try to answer then to the best of my ability. Good luck to all K1 interviewees with interviews coming up. If you have done your homeowrk, you will be fine.

Cheers

Scott
Hey Scott!!!

Woa! What a detailed report!!!
Thanks for sharing!!!
Old Feb 18th 2004, 7:44 pm
Tbm

Default Activating immigrant visa

Has anyone encoutered any problem in flying to the States to activate
an immigrant spouse visa and then going back home for a while.

Am I right in thinking that you have to go back to the US at least
once a year so as not to have abandoned residency?

TBM

Old Feb 18th 2004, 7:47 pm
Mtravelkay

Default Re: Activating immigrant visa

TBM wrote:
    > Has anyone encoutered any problem in flying to the States to activate
    > an immigrant spouse visa and then going back home for a while.
    >
    > Am I right in thinking that you have to go back to the US at least
    > once a year so as not to have abandoned residency?

Not true. Abandonment of PR status can occur in a shorter time period.

Old Feb 18th 2004, 8:17 pm
Expert ping ponger

HighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NatalieLucy
Hey Scott,

Congrats on receiving your K-1 Visa. I actually have my interview and medical a week from today. I have all my documents ready. Although there is one thing that has been bugging me, which is kinda silly but oh well. At the embassy which entrance do you go through. Is it the main main entrance or is it straight down and then make a right to the entrance there?

I was at the embassy last year for a tourist visa and I was one of those people queuing outside. I was send straight down to the bottom of the embassy I made a right and went up some stairs and through the entrance. I was just wondering if it was the same entrance I go through or if I go through the other main entrance.

I know silly question, but it's been bugging me for a while.
Thanks
Hi Natalielucy

Good question, cause when i went for my interview I actually went right and suddenly realised something didn't feel right. Fortunately i bumped into someone who was turning to the right and asked them where K1 visa applicants go and that was straight up the stairs to the main entrance, after going through the security point. Once up the stairs and in the building, you will be presented with a second security guy, who will ask for any cellphone or cameras you may have. After that, you take the stairs to your right hand side. I assume you are going for a K1 or K3 visa.

Goodluck with the interview for next week. Everything will work out just fine.

Cheers

Scott
Old Feb 18th 2004, 8:21 pm
Tbm

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:47:06 GMT, mtravelkay <[email protected]> wrote:

>TBM wrote:
    >> Has anyone encoutered any problem in flying to the States to activate
    >> an immigrant spouse visa and then going back home for a while.
    >>
    >> Am I right in thinking that you have to go back to the US at least
    >> once a year so as not to have abandoned residency?
    >Not true. Abandonment of PR status can occur in a shorter time period.

How short? I own a house in the US as well as the UK. Does that make
a difference?

TBM

Old Feb 18th 2004, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Scott
Old Feb 18th 2004, 9:57 pm
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough

Congrats HighlandPenguin!

Can I just ask a few things, what service centre did you file through, and what was your timeline from first NOA through to the Interview (2nd NOA etc).

Thanks in advance

James
Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:04 pm
Expert ping ponger

Originally posted by mcjimbo
Congrats HighlandPenguin!

Can I just ask a few things, what service centre did you file through, and what was your timeline from first NOA through to the Interview (2nd NOA etc).

Thanks in advance

James
Hi mcjimbo

I went though the Texas Service centre. My fiancee , "sunflwrglrl13", lives in Kentucky. She has replied to this original thread and has the full time line for you. Hope it helps

Cheers

Scott
Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:26 pm
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough

Ohhhhhhh interesting you got your 1st NOA exactly 1 month before mine, and your through your interview process!

But you filed through Texas and I through Nebraska.... and theres the difference
Old Feb 19th 2004, 7:42 pm
Skyscrapered

Haggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura about

checking for hernias

Hernias? Why on earth are they checking for hernias? The blood tests and xray I can understand.....but hernias?
Old Feb 19th 2004, 11:31 pm
Expert ping ponger

Originally posted by Haggischomper
Hernias? Why on earth are they checking for hernias? The blood tests and xray I can understand.....but hernias?
Hey Haggischomper

Talk about a small world, I'm from Hamilton too.

Not sure why they check for hernias, but the medical definitley involves checking the lower abdomon area for what I have been told is for hernia's. I guess they just want to make sure that people are fit to work, so they don't have to depend on the state.

Cheers

Scott