Reload this Page >

Is the K1 the best option

Wikiposts

Is the K1 the best option

Old Aug 6th 2006, 11:35 am
Just Joined

beppobain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is the K1 the best option

Hi. I am a UK citizen married to a US citizen. We are seperated going through a divorce. I have now met another US citizen in a chatroom. We have talked everyday on the phone, msn, emails and letters. We recently met up and had 12 wonderfull days together. Obviously we cant go any further cause were both going threw a divorce but what will our best options be for the future . As far as i am aware of i cant get back in the States as i married my wife on the VWP. I over stayed by about 25 days but we did udjust my status well before the 90 days with the 1-130 form but thats now gone pear shaped as i went back to the UK. I have heard of the K1 visa but actually know very little about it. Will i have problems for the future as i married her while i came over on the VWP, even though we didnt decide to get married before i came over. Yes it was a mistake in what i did but i didnt know the laws at the time. Sorry for being long winded but would be gratefull for any kind of help

Thanks
Old Aug 6th 2006, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is the K1 the best option

Originally Posted by beppobain
Hi. I am a UK citizen married to a US citizen. We are seperated going through a divorce. I have now met another US citizen in a chatroom. We have talked everyday on the phone, msn, emails and letters. We recently met up and had 12 wonderfull days together. Obviously we cant go any further cause were both going threw a divorce but what will our best options be for the future . As far as i am aware of i cant get back in the States as i married my wife on the VWP. I over stayed by about 25 days but we did udjust my status well before the 90 days with the 1-130 form but thats now gone pear shaped as i went back to the UK. I have heard of the K1 visa but actually know very little about it. Will i have problems for the future as i married her while i came over on the VWP, even though we didnt decide to get married before i came over. Yes it was a mistake in what i did but i didnt know the laws at the time. Sorry for being long winded but would be gratefull for any kind of help

Thanks

Nothing suggests any issues.

K1 would be quickest, you can file as soon as you are divorced.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 1:49 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldn't hurt to perhaps take your time with this one. You aren't even divorced yet and you're thinking of marrying again. Take advantage of the time you have before you each get divorced to spend more time together and figure out if this is REALLY what you want to do. No offense, but it sounds like a rash decision the first time around, and you know what they say about learning from your mistakes. Immigration is difficult enough when you don't have to worry about such things.

Just my kindly $0.02.

~ Jenney
Old Aug 6th 2006, 1:49 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
K1 would be quickest, you can file as soon as you are divorced.
Slight correction: "K1 would be quickest, you can file as soon as you are BOTH divorced."

~ Jenney
Old Aug 6th 2006, 2:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

We recently met up and had 12 wonderfull days together. Obviously we cant go any further cause were both going threw a divorce but what will our best options be for the future.
Your best option is to not let your Johnson do your thinking... it seems to be a recurring theme for you.

Ian
Old Aug 6th 2006, 3:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
It sounds like you're quite unclear on the overall immigration process, so I suggest you visit www.uscis.gov, and read the FAQs link at the top of this forum, while you're waiting for the divorces to be final (yours and your girlfriend's). I also suggest having a consultation with an immigration attorney who can spot any potential problems.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Aug 6th 2006, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

beppobain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
It wouldn't hurt to perhaps take your time with this one. You aren't even divorced yet and you're thinking of marrying again. Take advantage of the time you have before you each get divorced to spend more time together and figure out if this is REALLY what you want to do. No offense, but it sounds like a rash decision the first time around, and you know what they say about learning from your mistakes. Immigration is difficult enough when you don't have to worry about such things.

Just my kindly $0.02.

~ Jenney
Well thanks for your 2 cents worth as you put it Jenny and Mark and Ian-mstm for sayin my best option is to not let your Johnson do your thinking... it seems to be a recurring theme for you. Just cause i married an american citizen doesnt give your the right to say how to run my relationship. Yes i admit the first 1 went belly up but at the end of the day,its me and my good lady who decide how to run our relationship. All i am askin is for advice about visa, immigration etc as in what our best options are.. Didnt relise this was a marriage counselling forum.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:26 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. I am a UK citizen married to a US citizen. We are seperated going through a divorce. I have now met another US citizen in a chatroom. We have talked everyday on the phone, msn, emails and letters. We recently met up and had 12 wonderfull days together. Obviously we cant go any further cause were both going threw a divorce but what will our best options be for the future.
Once the divorces are finalized and you both have what is considered decrees absolute, you can then start the processing for the fiancee visa.

As a long time poster, a mature woman with marriage notches on my bedpost, I would caution you not to repeat your first marriage to a USC by doing the exact time again with this second USC. 12 days is not a great deal of time to get to know someone and should not base a marriage only on the rising hormonal levels. However, the choice is yours and I can only hope that both you and she choose well.

BTW it is through not threw ;-)

As far as i am aware of i cant get back in the States as i married my wife on the VWP.
That is not the reason. That marriage has nothing to do with why you can no longer use the VWP.

I over stayed by about 25 days
That is the reason why you are going to have to apply for a B-2 tourist visa if you want to visit the US.

but we did udjust my status well before the 90 days with the 1-130 form
No you did not adjust your status based on the I-130. You may have filed it before the 90 days were up on the VWP but you certainly did not adjust status because adjustment is via form I-485.

but thats now gone pear shaped as i went back to the UK. I have heard of the K1 visa but actually know very little about it. Will i have problems for the future as i married her while i came over on the VWP, even though we didnt decide to get married before i came over. Yes it was a mistake in what i did but i didnt know the laws at the time. Sorry for being long winded but would be gratefull for any kind of help

Thanks
No you should not have any issues with obtaining the K-1 because of your first marriage. You did nothing wrong the first time and it is good that you are going to try to do it the "prescribed" way this time around.

Read the USCIS website for info on the Fiancee Visa. It is relatively easy and simple. The USC files form I-129F at the service center level. Once approved the approved petition will be sent to the US Consulate in London. You will get together your long form birth certificate, police clearance, military records if applicable, divorce papers, financial sponsor via form I-134 from your fiancee in the States and then your medical, get an apppointment for the interview and if approved you can come to the US to marry within 90 days and then you file for your adjustment of status.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:32 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Didnt relise this was a marriage counselling forum.
No we are not. But often of late, we hear from people just like yourself who rushed into marriage and now have to extradite themselves from a marriage gone bad and/or where the passion was not substained for more than a forthnight and the parties want out. Apparently you are on the defense against those who offer you a word or two of caution on your private life. Thus, it must be that you are feeling a bit hesitant about this quickee rebound relationship. You are both married to other people. Give yourself time to explore each other before rushing into anything. But then again, who knows you might just want to get married for a way into the US and that is the reason why once again you want to marry a USC. Now are you going to take offense at that statement as well.

Last edited by Rete; Aug 7th 2006 at 1:38 am.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 3:49 am
I'm back!

All i am askin is for advice about visa, immigration etc as in what our best options are.. Didnt relise this was a marriage counselling forum.
Well, like it or not, since your previous immigration effort was also based on marriage to a US citizen, your new relationship with a new US citizen IS relevant and therefore will be scrutinized.

Remember, it is NOT the norm for people to marry people from other countries, especially more than once. The fact that you are turning right around and doing the same thing -- marrying a USC and then immigrating to the US -- in quick succession is suspicious to immigration officials. That's just reality.

So, feel free to jump in feet-first without looking ahead at the problems your current relationship, and its development, could cause you in the future. But don't say you didn't get the heads-up.

~ Jenney
Old Aug 7th 2006, 3:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

They got to get divorced first.

I have seen posts by those with mutiple K's, have been OK.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 4:30 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Your best option is to not let your Johnson do your thinking... it seems to be a recurring theme for you.

Ian
Johnson Day is a legal state holiday in Texas. It falls every year on August 27,
Old Aug 7th 2006, 6:02 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Johnson Day is a legal state holiday in Texas. It falls every year on August 27,
Umm... yah! Johnson's Johnson also did the thinking for him from time to time... and I think he got a chubby every time he escalated the Vietnam War.

Ian