Wikiposts

K1 AOS & SSN

Old Dec 15th 2011, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

DB10AFC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K1 AOS & SSN

Hi Everyone,

I've been in the US for 2 months now on a K1 visa and married my fiancee this week.

I just had a quick question regarding the next step;

I have completed the AOS forms and will be sending these off tomorrow, but what do I do about a SSN? Is there a separate form I should complete for this or will USCIS notify me after the have received the AOS documents re the SSN?

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 15th 2011, 3:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 AOS & SSN

Once you get the EAD, pop into the social office and apply for one...
Old Dec 15th 2011, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DB10AFC
Hi Everyone,

I've been in the US for 2 months now on a K1 visa and married my fiancee this week.

I just had a quick question regarding the next step;

I have completed the AOS forms and will be sending these off tomorrow, but what do I do about a SSN? Is there a separate form I should complete for this or will USCIS notify me after the have received the AOS documents re the SSN?

Thanks in advance
K1s are eligible for a SSN and you could have applied soon after entry. You don't have to marry first. You could still apply if there is more than 14 days left on your I-94. Sounds like you're close.

If you're past day 76 in the country, then you wait until you receive your EAD or greencard,

Either way, you go in person to the closest Social Security office.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 12:06 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info. I still have 25 days on my I-94, if I go down to a Social Security office today what would I need to bring with me?
Old Dec 16th 2011, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DB10AFC
Thanks for the info. I still have 25 days on my I-94, if I go down to a Social Security office today what would I need to bring with me?
I-94 and passport. I don't know if you are female and changed name with marriage, but best to just let them search for your name as written on I-94 and do the name change thing later. Don't bring up marriage unless they ask you. Not a problem with marriage, but it just confuses some workers. Keep it simple.

Keep in mind a lot of SSA workers don't do K1s often so may tell you any number of things like you need a greencard first or you got married so you're no longer a K1. Not true, so ask for a supervisor if needed.

On the application form, you are a "Legal alien allowed to work." (Doesn't mean you can work until you get authorization).

You might want to print this page with the list showing K1 is Legal alien allowed to work so they see you are eligible for a SSN. Scroll down to long list of visas.
https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530

Last edited by Moxie; Dec 16th 2011 at 1:10 am.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 1:15 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much, Moxie. You've been a tremendous help.

Michael