Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K Visa taking less time than Spouse ..... frustrating.

K Visa taking less time than Spouse ..... frustrating.

Old May 9th 2005, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

gooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant future
Default K Visa taking less time than Spouse ..... frustrating.

On reading some posts on Visajourney, there was a post which had people's submission of pack 3 times and their interview dates.

Made my sad that people who have filed mid april are being given there appointments already some in may and some in june, yet me among with a few others sent out pack 3 in march and have still heard nothing about our dates.

Now i would assume it is a quicker process to issue a K visa although correct me if i am wrong, otherwise they just seem to deal with them first with the spouse ones coming second best.

Anyone know why this is the case that K's take less than time than Spouse Visa's.

I guess in the long run i prefer to be in the situation i am in because at least when mine does come through barring no major situations i will be in posession of a green card, where those who has K visa's have an extremely long process to still go through 1+ years.
Old May 9th 2005, 3:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K Visa taking less time than Spouse ..... frustrating.

Hi Ian,

The K-3 visa was created when the backlog of CR-1 visas was so much that it was keeping spouses apart for too long (years). The K-3 visa was processed more quickly, and allowed the spouse to wait in the USA while the CR-1 was being processed.

Now, though, times have changed yet again, and the CR-1 visas are being processed as fast as, if not more quickly than, the K-3 visa.

You can never really predict the processing times at all, for any stage of this whole process. In March of 2003, I had to wait 4 months at the California Service Center just for the approval of my I-129F petition for my fiance. Now, 2 years later, the process time for that is down to a couple of weeks!

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old May 9th 2005, 5:24 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gooner81

Anyone know why this is the case that K's take less than time than Spouse Visa's.
K visas are 'non-immigrant', Immigrant Visas are, well, 'immigrant'. I suspect a more serious and thorough vetting goes on in an Immigrant case. As you noted, you'll be free to blend right into American society and drift away....
Less moaning, more packing, Mister!
best,
meauxna
Old May 9th 2005, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

gooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by meauxna
K visas are 'non-immigrant', Immigrant Visas are, well, 'immigrant'. I suspect a more serious and thorough vetting goes on in an Immigrant case. As you noted, you'll be free to blend right into American society and drift away....
Less moaning, more packing, Mister!
best,
meauxna
Wasn't really moaning just right now i am revising for my final year degree exams so anything is more interesting than actually revising so was just sharing my thoughts.

Really looking forward to getting my conditional green card makes it hard to concentrate on boring things like school work.
Old May 9th 2005, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Megan is an unknown quantity at this point

It took 2 years for my husband's I-130 to be approved, and then another year of processing before the greencard was issued. It looks to me that only one month for approval is not much to complain about.

Megan
Old May 9th 2005, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Really looking forward to getting my conditional green card makes it hard to concentrate on boring things like school work.
I hear ya! I began and completed my Master's degree while waiting for AOS!

Ian
Old May 9th 2005, 5:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

so anything is more interesting than actually revising
I think you'll find plenty of us here who can relate to that! <g>
Old May 9th 2005, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
I think you'll find plenty of us here who can relate to that! <g>
Yeah i really don't like revising my wife (who works) says i don't do enough (which is probably true) and i think she resents me at times because i'm at home all day BUT i would prefer to be working full time any day than study and revise there is no comparison in my eyes haha.