Wikiposts

K Visa FAQ Site

Old Jun 25th 2003, 2:55 am
Paulgani

Default Re: K Visa FAQ Site

I have a suggestion. One problem is that if only one person has access to
the web hosting account, then only that person can make changes to it.
Often, this one person loses interest, or becomes too busy, and thus the web
page flounders. That's pretty much what happened to k1faq.com, right?

Why don't you coordinate the formation of a "K1faq board of directors"
consisting of a handful of long term regulars which will each have access to
the web hosting account? That way, the document stays updated without
requiring your personal attention or interest.

Paulgani

"Steve2003" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I have hosted what I believe to be the entire site. I will most likely
    > keep everything roughly the same and with the help of people here we can
    > update it to contain recent changes.
    > Go here:
    > http://bcis.stephenpalik.com/faq/
    > I would really like it if someone could check through and make sure I
    > got it xfered ok and it is alright. I truly believe this is a community
    > project, so I will NOT make any changes unless the community agrees. I
    > am only hosting it; everyone is the owner as far as I am concerned.
    > -Steve
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 25th 2003, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

BeachBunny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Noorah101
First of all, thank you so much for hosting those sites, Mike. They certainly contain a wealth of important information. It's a lot to print out...if someone else could host the sites, that would be wonderful! :-) Hope it can be done!

Thanks again,
Rene

LOL I printed it out (50+ pages) not once, but twice! I couldn't find what I had done with it!! (put it in a binder and forgot) I hate reading a lot on the computer.. so tend to print things out.
Old Jun 25th 2003, 4:10 am
Mike_jones

Rete,
Thanks!
The pages are now down, and some little redirects are up, pointing to Steves
location.
Other minor "housekeeping chores" will be taken care of on my part to insure
thirsty wanderers are not left at the end of some dead end dirt road.
Mike

"Rete" wrote:
    > Dear Mike
    > I'm sorry to see that you have to "let go" but wanted to take this
    > opportunity to thank you for everything you have done for people
    > throughout the last five years with your first hand experiences and
    > postings and with your setup and maintenance of the FAQ and its links.
    > And can't and won't forget your sense of humor.
    > Please let me know when the site is permanently down and I will delete
    > any reference to it on the Britishexpats post.
    > Best of everything to you and Nina. It has been a hard five years for
    > you two and thankfully you have each other.
    > Best regards,
    > Rita Wilson a/k/a Rete
    > --

Old Jun 25th 2003, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are programs I can run based on PHP that can be run on any browser that allow that group of people to edit files such as these pages. This may be overkill, but I could begin looking into such options.

I could also create a msg group area on my site for people to discuss changes. In general, since this is hosted on the same server as my personal website (which I plan on maintaining at least for my lifetime) there should be no fear of the site going down b/c I lose interest. The only thing to consider are a group of people there to keep it current... which has always as you said been a problem.
Old Jun 25th 2003, 6:13 am
Jerry Liu

I like the idea of keeping the content in some sort of content management
program so it would be easier for you to allow some folks to update the
content and manage the changes. It would reduce the load on you too.
Generally, I find that it's more of a pain in the short run to delegate, but
almost always a win in the long run...

A message area to discuss changes is a good one idea. There is a link to
the FAQ from your BCIS message forums but I don't see one from the FAQ back
to the forums. When you figure out what forum area you want to use, I
assume you'll add a link to it from the FAQ? In any case, I hope the FAQ
won't end up getting kept in the message area (when you are just starting
out, sometimes you don't even know what you need to find out :-)), but this
means some folks will need to implement the discussed changes in the FAQ...

Jerry

"Steve2003" wrote in message
    > There are programs I can run based on PHP that can be run on any browser
    > that allow that group of people to edit files such as these pages. This
    > may be overkill, but I could begin looking into such options.
    > I could also create a msg group area on my site for people to discuss
    > changes. In general, since this is hosted on the same server as my
    > personal website (which I plan on maintaining at least for my lifetime)
    > there should be no fear of the site going down b/c I lose interest. The
    > only thing to consider are a group of people there to keep it current...
    > which has always as you said been a problem.
    > --

Old Jun 25th 2003, 9:11 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Steve,
I don't visit the faq page so I don't really know what is there, but I'm curious if it tells about the reports (and how to use them) the Service Centers publish that reflect what is on the shelf and what has likely been given to the officer (IBIS wrinkle), how to calculate a realistic overdue date (BCIS policy at the CSC, NSC, TSC and VSC [not NBC] that the officer should approve deny or issue RFE within 30 business days of being given the case), that the numbers on the receipt notices, on the BCIS on-line page and on the automated phone system are not accurate and should not be relied upon, etc.

That is crucial information that should be one of the first things a visitor to the faq should see, as it will help the DIY community from keeping their plans from being ruined, can save them aggravation and possibly money, and will help them have realistic expectations.

Come to think about it, Mike and I have been visiting this group for years now, and I'd bet that since he has been reading my posts about this for years now that he would have incorporated that vital information into the FAQ (but again, since I don't visit the FAQ I would not know).

M.U.
Old Jun 25th 2003, 9:16 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rete
Dear Mike

I'm sorry to see that you have to "let go" but wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for everything you have done for people throughout the last five years with your first hand experiences and postings and with your setup and maintenance of the FAQ and its links. And can't and won't forget your sense of humor.
Does this also include the death threat he made against me a while ago here in this very news group? Oh that's right, as moderator you did nothing about that.

I agree that the FAQ is a good thing for him to have done, but after being the target of his extremely childish posts over the years, and then receiving a death threat from him, I say good reddens.

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Jun 25th 2003 at 11:11 am.
Old Jun 25th 2003, 9:50 am
Jerry Liu

I don't think information about the bimonthly service center reports from
the AILA are in the FAQ right now. This is something I wish I had known
about before I sent out my application and would be a good item to add to
the FAQ.

These kinds of suggestions would be items that would be discussed in this K*
FAQ message forum, I suppose...

Jerry

"Matthew Udall" wrote in message
    > Hi Steve,
    > I don't visit the faq page so I don't really know what is there, but I'm
    > curious if it tells about the reports (and how to use them) the Service
    > Centers publish that reflect what is on the shelf and what has likely
    > been given to the officer (IBIS wrinkle), how to calculate a realistic
    > overdue date (BCIS policy at the CSC, NSC, TSC and VSC [not NBC] that
    > the officer should approve deny or issue RFE within 30 business days of
    > being given the case), that the numbers on the receipt notices, on the
    > BCIS on-line page and on the automated phone system are not accurate and
    > should not be relied upon, etc.
    > That is crucial information that should be one of the first things a
    > visitor to the faq should see, as it will help the DIY community from
    > keeping their plans from being ruined, can save them aggravation and
    > possibly money, and will help them have realistic expectations.
    > Come to think about it, Mike and I have been visiting this group for
    > years now, and I'd bet that since he has been reading my posts about
    > this for years now that he would have incorporated that vital
    > information into the FAQ (but again, since I don't visit the FAQ I would
    > not know).
    > M.U.
    > --

Old Jun 25th 2003, 10:35 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Matthew Udall
Does this also include the death threat he made against me a while ago here in this very news group? Oh that's right, as moderator you did nothing about that.

I believe the preceived threat was posted from google and not from Britishexpats and therefore there was nothing for BE to do or could have done. I also believe that you took care of that by lodging a formal police complaint against him if memory serves me correctly.

Rete
Old Jun 25th 2003, 10:58 am
Banned

Originally posted by Rete
I believe the preceived threat was posted from google and not from Britishexpats and therefore there was nothing for BE to do or could have done. I also believe that you took care of that by lodging a formal police complaint against him if memory serves me correctly.

Rete
I notified you about his death threat, and I believe I asked you to delete it from ex-pats. I thought you had the power to delete certain posts, and don't you (or the owners of ex-pats) have the ability to ban the postings from certain individuals? I would think a death threat would be deleted and that person banned from ever having a post appear on ex-pats again.

Yes, notice of the threat was made to the law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction over Spring Mint Road (or was it drive, I’d have to pull Mikes file to double check his exact residential address) in San Antonio, as well as my local Pasadena police department, so just in case that pinhead acted on his threat the police would know where to go.

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Jun 25th 2003 at 11:03 am.
Old Jun 25th 2003, 11:11 am
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

I notified you about his death threat, and I believe I asked you to delete it from ex-pats. I thought you had the power to delete certain posts, and don't you (or the owners of ex-pats) have the ability to ban the postings from certain individuals? I would think a death threat would be deleted and that person banned from ever having a post appear on ex-pats again.

Yes, notice of the threat was made to the law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction over Spring Mint Road (or was it drive, I’d have to pull Mikes file to double check his exact residential address) in San Antonio, as well as my local Pasadena police department, so just in case that pinhead acted on his threat the police would know where to go.
I don't appreciate your calling Mike Jones a pinhead, Matt. Or trying to pick another one of your infamous quarrels with Rete. These two people have been the mainstay of this newsgroup from day one. I for one, am sorry to hear about Mike's departure but pleased to hear that FAQ will go on due to his generosity in allowing someone else to host it. Alvena's departure from the newsgroup was one of the heaviest blows to the group and we all know why. I don't think you are ever going to stop until you have seen everyone of the founders gone
Old Jun 25th 2003, 11:22 am
Banned

Originally posted by Ranjini
Alvena's departure from the newsgroup was one of the heaviest blows to the group and we all know why.
Yes, "her actions" that she did in public for all the world to see (and that she made efforts to publicize) caused the Kentucky State Bar to determine that her actions constituted the unlicensed practice of the law. The Kentucky Bar could have instead looked at what she was doing and determined it was not the practice of law, but they didn't. I resent any suggestion that I had anything to do with Kentucky regulating the unlicensed practice of the law in order to protect its citizens.

Alvena was free to continue her unlicensed practice of the law if she wanted but she chose not to. I also seem to recall her saying that on the sites where she was practicing as an “immigration law expert�, there were also some attorneys doing the same thing and therefore they were aware of her activities (and therefore in competition with her).

I was well aware of Alvena and her activities for years before she got into trouble with the Kentucky Bar, and I even helped pen an item or two for her to put on her website. I did disagree however with her tips to the world at large to lie to our officers at the POE and specifically what lies to say at the POE to fool the officers as to the person’s intent (and these tips were only recently removed long past 9/11).

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Jun 25th 2003 at 11:27 am.
Old Jun 25th 2003, 11:35 am
Banned

Yes, "her actions" that she did in public for all the world to see (and that she made efforts to publicize) caused the Kentucky State Bar to determine that her actions constituted the unlicensed practice of the law. The Kentucky Bar could have instead looked at what she was doing and determined it was not the practice of law, but they didn't. I resent any suggestion that I had anything to do with Kentucky regulating the unlicensed practice of the law in order to protect its citizens.

Alvena was free to continue her unlicensed practice of the law if she wanted but she chose not to. I also seem to recall her saying that on the sites where she was practicing as an “immigration law expert�, there were also some attorneys doing the same thing and therefore they were aware of her activities (and therefore in competition with her).

I was well aware of Alvena and her activities for years before she got into trouble with the Kentucky Bar, and I even helped pen an item or two for her to put on her website. I did disagree however with her tips to the world at large to lie to our officers at the POE and specifically what lies to say at the POE to fool the officers as to the person’s intent (and these tips were only recently removed long past 9/11).
I don't suppose you ever considered the possiblity that your "disapproval" of various actions of these our founding members was what caused them to leave this newsgroup? Thus depriving future generations of the invaluable help that was available to those of us who went before?
Having said that, I'm not getting into any kind of argument with you, Matt. Except to express my disappointment at your words and actions. Enough said. I'm sure these newbies here are quite capable of taking care of affairs on their own, with your expert advice. I have nothing more to say....
Old Jun 25th 2003, 11:47 am
Banned

Originally posted by Ranjini
I don't suppose you ever considered the possiblity that your "disapproval" of various actions of these our founding members was what caused them to leave this newsgroup? Thus depriving future generations of the invaluable help that was available to those of us who went before?
I have no idea why someone decides to stop posting on any given news group. I certainly don’t think anything I’ve done in any way influenced Mike to retire. Maybe he’s simply tired of it, and wants to focus his energies on other aspects of his life (working on his motorcycles and enjoying family life). Your guess is as good as mine.

I don't want to get into an argument with you about this either Ranjini, and I too applaud Mike's work on the FAQ page. I wish him well despite his childish postings he has made about me over the years and even with the death threat.

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Jun 25th 2003 at 12:06 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2003, 11:57 am
Banned

He’s obviously unstable and probably needs all the help and support he can get.
Now I just hope Mike's not reading this. I can imagine how mad it's going to make him But on the other hand hopefully not. He probably has better sense than to rise to to such peurile attempt to get his goat....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.