Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K-3 second entry hassle

Wikiposts

K-3 second entry hassle

Old Feb 23rd 2004, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

davewilliams will become famous soon enoughdavewilliams will become famous soon enough
Default K-3 second entry hassle

I entered the US for the second time on my K-3 at Washington-Dulles (to go to Columbus for the EAD biometrics) and met one of the most unpleasant people I have eve met. Unfortunately she was the Immigration Officer.

I had stood for a long time watching the couple in front getting a hard time, and the first thing she looked at was my customs declaration. She told me I should not be bringing anything into the country at all, who were these things for. When I told her I was moving some of my things over and I was on a K-3 she just snorted and said I was taking advantage.

She then looked at the K-3 and her eyes lit up as she said 'You've entered on this before, you can't come in again, it's not valid any more' with an element of relish in her voice. I quietly pointed out that it was a multiple entry visa to which she said 'Well in that case where's your advance parole, your permission to travel?'

I said (truthfully) that I had called the USCIS who had told me it was not necessary and therefore not possible to get advance parole, and she simply said 'of course you need it'. Not surprisingly, I was really getting worried. She then said 'wait here' and vanished into a mirrored door and came back a few minutes later.

She said 'I'll ask you again, where's your advance parole? Did you get permission to travel?' I could only say 'I don't have it, I didn't apply'. She then simply stamped my passport, attached the I-94 with 2 years' admission and handed it to me. I asked if I needed AP and she said 'I was just asking'. I thanked her politely and she just snorted and shouted 'next'! Nice woman.

The biometrics appointment was at 13.00 on 13th Feb, we arrived at 12.35 and were finished by 12.40, no queuing or any waiting at all and really fun people.

I'm just dreading the third and final entry on the visa (pencilled for 17th April, Shannon is coming to the UK for the 2 weeks before it, and I have to finish selling my home and see out the rest of my contract at work in the meantime. I'll be much happier when I don't need to do this again.

Oh well, she didn't turn me round at least, and I only have to enter once more.

Dave
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 2:27 am
At last in Josh's arms =)

JoshsCarole is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: K-3 second entry hassle

Originally posted by davewilliams
I entered the US for the second time on my K-3 at Washington-Dulles (to go to Columbus for the EAD biometrics) and met one of the most unpleasant people I have eve met. Unfortunately she was the Immigration Officer.

I had stood for a long time watching the couple in front getting a hard time, and the first thing she looked at was my customs declaration. She told me I should not be bringing anything into the country at all, who were these things for. When I told her I was moving some of my things over and I was on a K-3 she just snorted and said I was taking advantage.

She then looked at the K-3 and her eyes lit up as she said 'You've entered on this before, you can't come in again, it's not valid any more' with an element of relish in her voice. I quietly pointed out that it was a multiple entry visa to which she said 'Well in that case where's your advance parole, your permission to travel?'

I said (truthfully) that I had called the USCIS who had told me it was not necessary and therefore not possible to get advance parole, and she simply said 'of course you need it'. Not surprisingly, I was really getting worried. She then said 'wait here' and vanished into a mirrored door and came back a few minutes later.

She said 'I'll ask you again, where's your advance parole? Did you get permission to travel?' I could only say 'I don't have it, I didn't apply'. She then simply stamped my passport, attached the I-94 with 2 years' admission and handed it to me. I asked if I needed AP and she said 'I was just asking'. I thanked her politely and she just snorted and shouted 'next'! Nice woman.

The biometrics appointment was at 13.00 on 13th Feb, we arrived at 12.35 and were finished by 12.40, no queuing or any waiting at all and really fun people.

I'm just dreading the third and final entry on the visa (pencilled for 17th April, Shannon is coming to the UK for the 2 weeks before it, and I have to finish selling my home and see out the rest of my contract at work in the meantime. I'll be much happier when I don't need to do this again.

Dave
*Yikes*, Dave!! That DOES sound scary. I've flown though Dulles a lot in the past (on VWP) and never had any trouble, sorry to hear you had a bad experience! I am afraid the same thing is going to happen to me after my trip from France for exams in May/June... But it's like you said, at least she didn't turn you around...
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 4:20 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

She sure was snorting an awful lot. Was she a pig? Because she sounded like a real cow.

Dave
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 6:19 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Dave
Oh my, Dave!!

I am so sorry to hear that.
What a meanie!!, I am scared to fly back to Spain for Christmas!!, I hope you get a nice POE officer next time. They were very nice to me in New York.
As for AP, she should have known you didn't need it!!
Take care!!!