Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K-3 isn't working for me...Is it working for you?

K-3 isn't working for me...Is it working for you?

Old Jun 17th 2002, 11:20 am
Steve Hubbard

Default K-3 isn't working for me...Is it working for you?

We submitted our final K-3 packet in Manila on Jan 30th, 2002. We were then placed
under administrative review and received a RFE on March 7th. We hired an attorney to
help and submitted the additional documents on May 6th. So far the Congressional
mandate of "reuniting the foreign spouse with the USC spouse in a timely manner to
await the I-130 process here in the US" has failed us miserably. I told my
Congresswoman's aide that who, with a straight face, could tell me this process
works. If it wasn't my wife and I involved in this it would be laughable...sort of an
INS version of the "Keystone Cops". It's sad commentary to think that these
government officials (who work for us by the way) can get away with this inaction
when they have been compelled by Congress to do just the opposite. We've gone by the
book every step of the way and yet illegals slip through all the time...truly
baffling and bewildering.

Old Jun 17th 2002, 3:20 pm
Richard Sun

Default Re: K-3 isn't working for me...Is it working for you?

I know what you mean. I always here about people tightening up the strings for
security. It's much like this latin saying (forgot the latin part), Outlaw cannons
and only outlaws will have cannons.

The problem with all these new measures is that it slows down all the real cases. I
always here of fraud, but I've never seen statistics comparing good cases vs. bad
cases. Is there really an overwhelming amount of fraud going on when compared to
real cases?

Here's my current time line:

http://www.richsun.com/20020227.html

Old Jun 18th 2002, 11:20 am
Marilou920

>Subject: K-3 isn't working for me...Is it working for you? From: [email protected]
    >(Steve Hubbard) Date: 6/17/02 5:18 PM Central Daylight Time Message-id:
    ><[email protected]>
    >
    >We submitted our final K-3 packet in Manila on Jan 30th, 2002. We were then placed
    >under administrative review and received a RFE on March 7th. We hired an attorney to
    >help and submitted the additional documents on May 6th. So far the Congressional
    >mandate of "reuniting the foreign spouse with the USC spouse in a timely manner to
    >await the I-130 process here in the US" has failed us miserably. I told my
    >Congresswoman's aide that who, with a straight face, could tell me this process
    >works. If it wasn't my wife and I involved in this it would be laughable...sort of
    >an INS version of the "Keystone Cops". It's sad commentary to think that these
    >government officials (who work for us by the way) can get away with this inaction
    >when they have been compelled by Congress to do just the opposite. We've gone by the
    >book every step of the way and yet illegals slip through all the time...truly
    >baffling and bewildering.
    >
Hello Steve, I read too many expereinces about k3 in manila. Actually the gentlemen
who went through k3 doesn't have much difference in timelines between k3 and I-130.
A week or 2 only the difference. If yout hink k3 in Manila is as fast as 1-130,
think against it's not. The k3 is not as fast like k1 fiancee visa as everyone
thought. Just think about going k3, you need to file 1-130 and wait to get your
first noa before you can file 1-129f . The time alone is running there. I think it's
better to stick on 1-130 because by the time your spouse join you in USA she is
already a benifiaciary of green card while k3 you have to file an AOS like fiancee.
Well, good luck.
    >
    >

Old Jun 18th 2002, 6:21 pm
Richard Sun

If your spouse comes to the US on a K-3 visa, you don't have to file for AOS, you can
choose to continue the process at the consulate abroad. The K-3 visa allows the
couple to be together sooner, that's all. It's all a question of economics. If you
can afford to fly back to the original host country then you do, if you don't want to
fly back, then you don't. It's just more paperwork, etc.

Here's my current time line:

http://www.richsun.com/20020227.html