Wikiposts

K-3 or CR-1?

Old Oct 18th 2010, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

AmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really nice
Default Re: K-3 or CR-1?

Phew, well I sure hope that I get in before the 2 year anniversary!

Thanks for all the advice. Just a few quick questions.

We have decided to go the CR-1 route as it is safer and we dont want to risk screwing th9ings up for good!

Now, we are gathering proof of our relationship and marriage. So far im thinking:

Photos from every time we have been together (this is probably about 100 or more photos, and im planning on making a collage type thing on a word document to save on printing costs and make things more organized. Should I send all photos or pick a select few?

Plane tickets. Now heres a problem. I have visited him 4 times and he has visited me once. We only have 2 of my plane tickets (in the form of confirmation emails) and cannot for the life of me find any proof of the other two or his. Will the stamps in our passports suffice?

MSN chat history (another hiccup, dont seem to have saved it plus my computer is having a hissy fit, but if i find it, im thinking a page a month to show consistency)

Photocopies of letters and cards sent from me to him (he never sent me any...!)

Emails sent to each other

Facebook wall-to-wall and messages

Affidavits from the pastor who marries us, my parents, and his parents (do these need to be notarized?)

AND I think thats about it.

Does this sounds about right? Overboard/Underboard?!

Thanks
Old Oct 18th 2010, 4:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure you NEED proof of your relationship. You probably need something that will show your marriage is bonafide. The items you listed sound more like they belong with an I-129F application for K-1 visa (as it proves you met in person and have an ongoing relationship). Did you read the I-130 instructions and see what is suggested on there to use to show proof of bonafide marriage? The marriage certificate will be the main proof that you ARE married...but your proof of having a relationship before marriage isn't really relevent to the I-130. They want to see something that shows co-mingling of a married life together...which is something many newlyweds don't have. So that's something to think about now, what types of things can you get soon after marriage (or even now) to include with the I-130? Many people just use a couple of sworn affidavits from people who know you as a married couple (after marriage).

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Oct 18th 2010 at 4:47 am.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 4:43 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyCO
Affidavits from the pastor who marries us, my parents, and his parents (do these need to be notarized?)

AND I think thats about it.

Does this sounds about right? Overboard/Underboard?!

Thanks
Morning, Amy.
Except for the part I left, overboard.

The I-130 instructions are specific about the type of evidence they want.. not so much about the gooey part of your relationship, just the legal part. IIRC, you're still in the US right now, so can be added to bank accounts, and other practical documents. That's the direction I would point you in.
See the I-130 instructions.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

AmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really niceAmyCO is just really nice

Okay, I see! Thanks everyone!

So, I can be added to the bank account? The lawyer I spoke to told me that I couldnt be added to the bank accounts as I dont have a SS number.

Annoyingly, I cant be put on his lease as its half way throught the contract and they wont put me on it

Any other ideas?!

Thanks!
Old Oct 18th 2010, 8:06 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I see! Thanks everyone!

So, I can be added to the bank account? The lawyer I spoke to told me that I couldnt be added to the bank accounts as I dont have a SS number.

Annoyingly, I cant be put on his lease as its half way throught the contract and they wont put me on it

Any other ideas?!

Thanks!
You can be added as an authorized resident of the apartment, separate from the lease. Speak with the landlord about that.

The lawyer doesn't work for the bank, does he? Many banks will allow you to be added to the account (particularly a non-interest bearing account) without a SSN.. you are going to have to work at all this a bit.

With all things lawyer: Trust, but verify.
Go to the bank yourselves and ask. You might even consider opening a new account together at a different bank, if yours won't play ball.

A SSN is also not a requirement for being added as an emergency contact for his work, and some of the other benefits he receives. Additionally, joint memberships for the other parts of life can be evidence for later on if not for this petition; movie club, gym, Costco etc.

Did that other list of stuff come from the lawyer, or did he leave you to think up your evidence yourself? I guess I should ask: is the lawyer preparing the I-130 + visa application for you, or you just had a consultation where that info about the bank came out?
Old Oct 18th 2010, 8:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
A SSN is also not a requirement for being added as an emergency contact for his work, and some of the other benefits he receives. Additionally, joint memberships for the other parts of life can be evidence for later on if not for this petition; movie club, gym, Costco etc.
Also, it's probably very easy to put your name on his utility bills, even before you're married. All he has to do is call them and say he wants to add your name to his account, and to please make sure it shows both names on the statement/invoice/bill. You don't need a SSN to do that, and when I added my husband, they never asked for a copy of the marriage certificate either.

Rene
Old Oct 18th 2010, 10:03 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The lawyer I spoke to told me that I couldnt be added to the bank accounts as I dont have a SS number.
Find another lawyer! You are not required to have a SS# to get a bank account. What you do need, is a "unique identifier"... and your passport will suffice for that. If the bank gives you a hard time, ask to speak to the manager. If he says it's part of the US Patriot Act, ask him to show you where, exactly, it is. (Hint = it isn't there). If he still refuses, take your business elsewhere and let the manager know that you will be writing to the local media to inform them of what happened.

This is the US. Don't accept on faith what you've been told by those in authority.

Ian
Old Oct 18th 2010, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Jeez, thanks guys!

We are processing it ourselves, but had a one time consultation to clear up a few questions.

Same damn lawyer who told us all the wrong forms to fill in. Pretty much just gonna do the opposite to anything she said!

So, im gonna get myself put on everything next week after the wedding.

Now, should I send a bit of photographic evidence etc in to prove relationship or just a couple of affidavits? or not bother at all....

Thanks
Old Oct 18th 2010, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by AmyLeigh
Jeez, thanks guys!

We are processing it ourselves, but had a one time consultation to clear up a few questions.

Same damn lawyer who told us all the wrong forms to fill in. Pretty much just gonna do the opposite to anything she said!

So, im gonna get myself put on everything next week after the wedding.

Now, should I send a bit of photographic evidence etc in to prove relationship or just a couple of affidavits? or not bother at all....

Thanks
Huh? Is this the same poster as AmyCO? Are you registered with two account names on here? That's against site rules, so please contact the site administrator (Sue) to let her know which account you want to keep.

No need to send photos, unless you want to send a couple of wedding photos for good measure. Otherwise, send all the other stuff that shows your joint life together as a married couple. If you have enough of that, you don't need sworn affidavits, either.

Rene
Old Oct 18th 2010, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by AmyLeigh
Did you read the I-130 instructions about this yet?
Old Oct 18th 2010, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry about that, it was me - I must have registered twice! Ill sort that out.

Yes, I have read the I-130 notes, but what worried me is that I wasnt able to be put on the lease. Hopefully ill be able to sort something out tomorrow.

I guess im just worried about an RFE, as im sure everyone is, and just want to make sure I get everything right the first time!
Old Oct 18th 2010, 6:01 pm

Sorry about that, it was me - I must have registered twice! Ill sort that out.

Yes, I have read the I-130 notes, but what worried me is that I wasnt able to be put on the lease. Hopefully ill be able to sort something out tomorrow.

I guess im just worried about an RFE, as im sure everyone is, and just want to make sure I get everything right the first time!
Don't worry. Being on the lease is not a requirement.

Rene
Old Oct 28th 2010, 1:09 am
Kind Help Plz. Not Linx.

clemato is just really niceclemato is just really niceclemato is just really niceclemato is just really niceclemato is just really niceclemato is just really niceclemato is just really niceclemato is just really nice

My UK spouse got on our joint bank acct easily in the US it was not a problem.

Our electric company, however, will not set him up without a SSN. They just plain refused it.

Yeah, I'd say proving you are co-mingling in the house and home and assets can be kind of difficult, but always try and check with your utility people and so on. Better to call and ask, then not try.

//

We are still in process for K3, so I don't know what they'll accept. But we did send in wedding pictures on word documents (a few pics per page) and had a notarized affidavit from my mom about our marriage etc. I'll call out every friend and family if they need proof. We'll send videos if necessary - ahem - just joking on that one (gross!).

Last edited by clemato; Oct 28th 2010 at 1:11 am.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 3:00 am
Just Joined

CloudChaser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
And one more thing... if you get a CR-1 but actually enter the US after your 2nd wedding anniversary, the border officer should admit you as IR-1 (regardless of the CR-1 notation on your visa). Of course, this works only for people whose approval date is within a few months of their 2nd wedding anniversary.
Is this process automatic or does the officer and the border have to take note of the fact it is 2 years since you wedding. Where is that information available to them?

I hope to have the visa before our 2nd wedding anniversary but plan to wait until after this before going to the US.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by CloudChaser
Is this process automatic or does the officer and the border have to take note of the fact it is 2 years since you wedding. Where is that information available to them?

I hope to have the visa before our 2nd wedding anniversary but plan to wait until after this before going to the US.
At the POE, you can watch as they endorse your visa. If you notice they put CR-1, you can then politely show them your marriage certificate and politely ask them to admit you as an IR-1.

Rene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.