Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K-3 Approved.. I have few questions about moving from Toronto to Chicago

Wikiposts

K-3 Approved.. I have few questions about moving from Toronto to Chicago

Old May 18th 2004, 5:35 pm
Andy Lee

Default K-3 Approved.. I have few questions about moving from Toronto to Chicago

Apply on July 2003,
Received Pocket 3 on Feb, 2004,
Appointment date and received K3 Visa on April 28, 2004

Now I am planning to move from Toronto to Chicago ..

My wife will come to Toronto with a rental van in Aug, then we'll
moving my stuff to Chicago, IL through Detroit

My question is..

* Do I need to declare my stuffs at the Detroit border? If yes, how
do I prepare?

* Do I need to re-do the driving exam in order to get the ILLionis
Driver's license??

* When I will get the SSN and Green Card?

* I really want to visit my family after few month moving to Chicago..
If I am leaving USA for travel, what do I need to do? Which form to
apply?

* My Canadian passport will be expired in Dec 05.. how do I renew in
Chicago?

Thanks!

Old May 18th 2004, 10:36 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K-3 Approved.. I have few questions about moving from Toronto to Chicago

Originally posted by Andy Lee
Apply on July 2003,

My question is..

do I prepare?

Driver's license??

apply?

Chicago?

Thanks!
Andy for the EAD and the SSN I would direct you to our thread on that-New K3 EAD Rollcall. Green card is a bit further down the line.
For the driver's license, check the DMV website for Illinois.
K3 is a multiple entry visa so you could go in and out to visit the family.
Renew your passport by checking the Canadian website for info and allow yourself enogh time.
Old May 18th 2004, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

F1belle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: K-3 Approved.. I have few questions about moving from Toronto to Chicago

Make sure to get your advance parole before leaving the US. You will have nothing but trouble at the border without it!The border guys sometimes don't realize that the K3 is multiple entry. If you get a customs guy in a bad mood watch out! Make sure you have an itemized list of EVERYTHING you are taking! At the border they will most likely ask for this list and also your K3 documents that show you can legally move your stuff down.You can go to the closest Canadian Embassy/Consulate and renew your passport. Just call ahead to find out what time the Embassy is open.
Old May 19th 2004, 12:58 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Apply on July 2003,

My question is..

do I prepare?

Driver's license??
Write up an itemize sheet(s) of what is in each box, container, etc. Write down serial numbers of electronic equipment. You will give this list to the Custom's Agent either before or after you are through with the USCIS agent at the POE.

Probably not, as many States allow an even exchange of DL's for Canadian citizens. You will need a social security number and proof of your alien status.

As a K-3 recipient you are in for a long wait for a SSN. You need the EAD first and that will take up to 91 days after applying for it. Then your status has to be in the SAVE database before SSA will issue you a number.

You are a long long way from a green card, my friend. You first have to wait for the I-130 to be approved and then you are free to apply for adjustment of status and after applying you have a 1 to 2 year wait for the interview.

apply?

Chicago?

Thanks!
Contrary to what F1belle replied you do not need advance parole as your K-3 is good for multi-entries during its two year activation period.

As for the renewal of your Canadian passport, my Canuck just did it last June. A truly pain in the butt. It has to be done via the mail system, you will need a professional to verify your person and it takes from 2 weeks to a month to get. You can d/l the form and instructions through links on the Canadian Consulate site.

Rete
Old May 19th 2004, 1:00 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by F1belle
Make sure to get your advance parole before leaving the US. You will have nothing but trouble at the border without it!The border guys sometimes don't realize that the K3 is multiple entry. If you get a customs guy in a bad mood watch out! Make sure you have an itemized list of EVERYTHING you are taking! At the border they will most likely ask for this list and also your K3 documents that show you can legally move your stuff down.You can go to the closest Canadian Embassy/Consulate and renew your passport. Just call ahead to find out what time the Embassy is open.

Canadian passports cannot be renewed first off. Second, Canadian passports cannot be obtained in the US through Canadian Consulates. You must apply for a new passport through the mail if you are living outside of Canada. Been there, done that, and swear it is a pain.

Rete
Old May 19th 2004, 1:18 am
Just Joined

F1belle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete
Canadian passports cannot be renewed first off. Second, Canadian passports cannot be obtained in the US through Canadian Consulates. You must apply for a new passport through the mail if you are living outside of Canada. Been there, done that, and swear it is a pain.

Rete

At the Atlanta Consulate they let you submit all the documents for the passport. There is a link about on the website for the passport office. Link is here http://www.ppt.gc.ca/faq/index_e.asp#210
Can I apply for a passport at a Canadian diplomatic or consular mission?
Yes, at diplomatic or consular missions abroad where they have the facilities to issue Canadian passports.

On the advance parole, I know of a few people who were denied entry temporarily back to the US with a K3 after filing AOS cause the customs people had no idea what it was and took many phone calls to straighten it out, especially after filing AOS. Advance Parole is always safest , just my thought.

Last edited by F1belle; May 19th 2004 at 1:21 am.
Old May 19th 2004, 3:35 am
Andy Lee

> Andy for the EAD and the SSN I would direct you to our thread
    > on that-New K3 EAD Rollcall. Green card is a bit further down the line.
    >
    > For the driver's license, check the DMV website for Illinois.
    > K3 is a
    > multiple entry visa so you could go in and out to visit the family.
    >
    > Renew your passport by checking the Canadian website for info and allow
    > yourself enogh time.

Thanks.. So K3 is a multiple entry visa! What will happen to the K3
VISA after renew my Canadian passport?

Will I receive a Temp. Resident Card and using it enter into USA
instead of using the VISA on my current passport.. I don't know if the
VISA will be still on my new passport or not..

Thanks!

Old May 19th 2004, 4:26 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Canada does not renew passports. Your current passport will be annulled and you will be issued a new one. Your visa will remain in the old passport, so keep both. For Canadians living in the US, here's the link to get a Canadian passport.

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/online_forms/pdfs/ppt140.pdf

Ian (and Sheila)

---------------------------------------------------
Timeline:

Mailed I-129F: November 28, 1997
K-1 interview in Montreal: March 27, 1998
Married Sheila: May 23, 1998
Filed for AoS: June 15, 1998
AoS interview: February 20, 2001
Received PR status: March 4, 2001
Applied for Citizenship: December 8, 2003
NoA: Priority date - December 11, 2003
Fingerprinted: January 20, 2004
Citizenship Interview: May 5, 2004 – Passed
Oath Ceremony: June 11, 2004 – and the journey is over!

Thanks!
Old May 19th 2004, 5:12 am
Concierge

At the Atlanta Consulate they let you submit all the documents for the passport. There is a link about on the website for the passport office. Link is here http://www.ppt.gc.ca/faq/index_e.asp#210
Yes, at diplomatic or consular missions abroad where they have the facilities to issue Canadian passports.

On the advance parole, I know of a few people who were denied entry temporarily back to the US with a K3 after filing AOS cause the customs people had no idea what it was and took many phone calls to straighten it out, especially after filing AOS. Advance Parole is always safest , just my thought.

You are talking a different ball game when you mention that they had filed for AOS.

I believe this is the grey area where it is not quite clear if the K-3 is still valid after having filed for AOS. If it is not then A/P is indeed needed. If it is, then A/P is not needed

Rete
Old May 19th 2004, 5:14 am
Concierge

It will still be there. When Jim received is old passport back from the Canadian Passport Agency, it was marked cancelled and all his I-94's, I-551's and K-1 visa were still intact.

Rete

> Andy for the EAD and the SSN I would direct you to our thread
    > on that-New K3 EAD Rollcall. Green card is a bit further down the line.
    >
    > For the driver's license, check the DMV website for Illinois.
    > K3 is a
    > multiple entry visa so you could go in and out to visit the family.
    >
    > Renew your passport by checking the Canadian website for info and allow
    > yourself enogh time.

Thanks!
Old May 19th 2004, 5:23 am
Concierge

FYI, the below is a cut and paste from the Canadian Consulate Page.

Since September 1, 1993, the issuance of passports to Canadians residing in the United States has been carried out by the Central Passport Office in Hull, Quebec. In legitimate emergency situations, the Consulate is able to issue a passport for Canadians living or travelling in our territory. For more information http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/passport/

Application forms for a Certificate of Canadian citizenship are available from the Canadian Consulate General, New York, New York.
For more info: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen/

http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/can-am/...cat=2129&typ=1

If you are a Canadian citizen living the US you cannot go to the Canadian Consulate for a new passport. You must obtain your passport through the mail. You note they will assist you if you are living or traveling in Canada or one of its territory. The US, although Canada might like it to be, is not one of its a territories.

I don't mean to sound like a know it all but I was in that situation with my husband only a year ago. We live in the greater New York City area and the Canadian Consulate is only three blocks from where I work. Believe me, I only wish we could have walked in and applied and/or dropped off the paperwork for them to forward. They would not even talk with my Canadian husband on the phone.

Rete
Old May 19th 2004, 4:23 pm
Andy Lee

Rete <member167@british_expats.com> wrote in message
    > Write up an
    > itemize sheet(s) of what is in each box, container, etc. Write down
    > serial numbers of electronic equipment. You will give this list to the
    > Custom's Agent either before or after you are through with the USCIS
    > agent at the POE.

Good Idea.. but do I need to pay tax for the items I brought into US?

> F1belle replied you do not need advance parole as your K-3 is good for
    > multi-entries during its two year activation period.
    >
    > As for the renewal
    > of your Canadian passport, my Canuck just did it last June. A truly
    > pain in the butt. It has to be done via the mail system, you will need
    > a professional to verify your person and it takes from 2 weeks to a
    > month to get. You can d/l the form and instructions through links on
    > the Canadian Consulate site.

As for the professional who knows me.. Can I use my family doctor in
Toronto? Or my CGA friend in Toronto? Since I will be a new comer to
US.. and my passport will be expired in 1.5 years after I moved.

BTW: Can I fly back to Toronto to have my passport renewed?

Thank you very much! I think I still have a long way to go.. But
first I need EAD to get a job

Old May 20th 2004, 6:17 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

There is no tax on household goods that you've owned for more than a year. Generally, all household goods of this nature are exempt.

US professionals are acceptable in lieu of Canadians as far as being able to verify your identity. I used my US dentist with no problems when I got a new passport. As long as they've known you for the requisite time you'll be fine. By the way, there is nothing that prevents you from getting a new passport prior to moving. You don't have to wait for the current passport to expire.

It really isn't all that difficult to get a new passport if you're living in the US. Mine took only a week.

Ian (and Sheila)
---------------------------------------------------
Timeline:

Mailed I-129F: November 28, 1997
K-1 interview in Montreal: March 27, 1998
Married Sheila: May 23, 1998
Filed for AoS: June 15, 1998
AoS interview: February 20, 2001
Received PR status: March 4, 2001
Applied for Citizenship: December 8, 2003
NoA: Priority date - December 11, 2003
Fingerprinted: January 20, 2004
Citizenship Interview: May 5, 2004 – Passed
Oath Ceremony: June 11, 2004 – and the journey is over!

Good Idea.. but do I need to pay tax for the items I brought into US?

As for the professional who knows me.. Can I use my family doctor in
Toronto? Or my CGA friend in Toronto? Since I will be a new comer to
US.. and my passport will be expired in 1.5 years after I moved.

BTW: Can I fly back to Toronto to have my passport renewed?

Thank you very much! I think I still have a long way to go.. But
first I need EAD to get a job