K 1's for same sex couples?

Wikiposts

K 1's for same sex couples?

Old Jan 19th 2004, 4:33 am
Just Joined

catbatbat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K 1's for same sex couples?

hi,
i'm a uk resident with a US fiance (both guys ) does anyone know if i can apply for this type of visa if we were to marry in a state which recognises same sex civil marriage...i.e virginia?

just another avenue i'm trying as it seems that the american government is still WAY behing the times when it comes to letting me and my partner live our lives together.

hope someone can shed some light or maybe offer any other suggestions.....helpful ones that is before anyone starts preaching
Old Jan 19th 2004, 4:40 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K 1's for same sex couples?

No chance...the US goverment is homophobic
Old Jan 19th 2004, 5:16 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by catbatbat
hi,
i'm a uk resident with a US fiance (both guys ) does anyone know if i can apply for this type of visa if we were to marry in a state which recognises same sex civil marriage...i.e virginia?

just another avenue i'm trying as it seems that the american government is still WAY behing the times when it comes to letting me and my partner live our lives together.

hope someone can shed some light or maybe offer any other suggestions.....helpful ones that is before anyone starts preaching

It is the federal governments requirements you have to satisfy and they do not recognize marriage between same sex partners. You can try Canada or perhaps your USC fiancee would like to move to England.

Or you can try for residency on another avenue. A lesbian on the forum recently got her green card via the nursing program. Although she did not get a job in the same state as her partner she is at least inside of the US now with a green card and one day in the future they can live together.

Rete
Old Jan 19th 2004, 5:17 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ray6
No chance...the US goverment is homophobic
Even Dick Cheney, who reversed his stance on gay marriages (he is now against them) despite the fact that his daughter is gay!

It is ironic that this country's first European settlers came here to escape religious persecution.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 5:20 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ScousePete
Even Dick Cheney, who reversed his stance on gay marriages (he is now against them) despite the fact that his daughter is gay!

It is ironic that this country's first European settlers came here to escape religious persecution.

What does this have to do with religion? Marriages are considered valid when done by an officiant with state authorization to perform the ceremony. The officiant need not be a clergyman but can be a judge.

Rete
Old Jan 19th 2004, 5:21 am
Joachim Feise

catbatbat said on 1/19/2004 9:33:

> hi,
    >
    > i'm a uk resident with a US fiance (both guys ) does anyone know if
    > i can apply for this type of visa if we were to marry in a state which
    > recognises same sex civil marriage...i.e virginia?

No. US immigration law does not recognize same-sex marriages.
Even what you call "same sex civil marriage" as offered in some states is
not an official marriage. These contracts are not recognized as marriages
anywhere else in the US.

-Joe

Old Jan 19th 2004, 5:27 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The officiant need not be a clergyman but can be a judge.
Rete
Or even just a plain old notary public in some states...my wife has performed quite a few marriage ceremonies on the beach at sunset..what could be better...
Old Jan 19th 2004, 6:24 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rete
What does this have to do with religion?
It has everything to do with religion.

Taken from CNN:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/...h.gay.marriage

'"I believe marriage is between a man and a woman, and I think we ought to codify that one way or another," Bush told reporters at a White House news conference.

The president also implied that homosexuality was morally wrong when he replied to a question on gay marriage by saying: "I am mindful that we are all sinners."

The next day, the Vatican released a 12-page document calling for Catholics and non-Catholics to unite in opposition to gay marriage and gay adoptions as a "moral duty."

The question of gay marriage has moved to the foreground of American politics after a U.S. Supreme Court decision in June that struck down state laws banning sodomy.

The prospect has outraged religious conservatives, an important voting bloc in the Republican Party. '

As I said, it has EVERYTHING to do with religion.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 6:49 am
Jozef

"ScousePete" <member12910@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > It is ironic that this country's first European settlers came here to
    > escape religious persecution.

Not ironic at all. People still come to the US to escape from the spiritual
desert which is Europe.

Old Jan 25th 2004, 7:34 pm
Ingo Pakleppa - See Web Site For Email

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:33:05 +0000, catbatbat wrote:

> hi,
    >
    > i'm a uk resident with a US fiance (both guys ) does anyone know if
    > i can apply for this type of visa if we were to marry in a state which
    > recognises same sex civil marriage...i.e virginia?

Unfortunately, a few years ago the US passed the misnamed "Defense of
Marriage Act" which specifically bars recognition of same-sex marriages
for any federal benefits, even if certain states granted them. Right now,
the only state is probably Massachussetts (after a recent state Supreme
Court ruling); all other states that grant similar unions do not call them
marriages, so chances are not good. Even Mass. does not yet allow it, but
has to in the next 180 days or so. It looks like they will either
specifically pass a law or some kind of state Constitutional Amendment to
prevent that, or they will at least try and restrict it to people who
already live in Mass.

I would not be surprised to see the Defense of Marriage Act struck down by
the US Supreme Court eventually. If you are masochistic enough, you could
try and be a test case. It will be a horrible ordeal, but you may find it
worth it for the cause. Basically, the process would be for you to file
the K-1 petition. When that is denied, you'd be appealing. The appeal
would have to go to the Federal Appeals Court, and then would almost
certainly be appealed to the Supreme Court. I am sure you would need the
support of as many civil rights organizations as you can get (ACLU and
NCSF come to mind)

--
Remember, I am strictly a layperson without any legal training. I encourage
everybody to seek competent legal counsel rather than relying on usenet
newsgroups.

Please support H.R. 539, H.R. 832 and S. 1510. More information at
http://www.kkeane.com/lobbyspousal-faq.shtml

Please visit my new FAQ at http://www.kkeane.com (always under construction)

My email address in usenet posts is now invalid for spam protection. See
my Web site for information on how to contact me.

Please feel free to enjoy some of my photographs at my Web site
http://www.ingopakleppa.com ! Comments are welcome.