Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K-1 vs K-3? Any recommendations?

Wikiposts

K-1 vs K-3? Any recommendations?

Old Jul 7th 2003, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

stevenrs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K-1 vs K-3? Any recommendations?

Which one is easier and takes less time?... (No pun intended) Any recommendations out there for the path of least resistance?
Old Jul 7th 2003, 11:13 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K-1 vs K-3? Any recommendations?

Originally posted by stevenrs
Which one is easier and takes less time?... (No pun intended) Any recommendations out there for the path of least resistance?
Depends on what service center you come under. Then I would go and look at the current processing times for the K1 and weigh it against the roughly two months or so that the K3 is taking. It also depends on what country your significant other is from.
Old Jul 8th 2003, 12:01 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by stevenrs
Easy? Hmmmm.......didn't think that was a word in immigration vocab! Only kidding!

We went the K1 route, but that was back in Sep 02 when Texas was only estimating 60-90 days, so the whole process only took about 4 months. (Still seemed like a lifetime, though, but nothing compared to some people's wait. ) I agree that you need to look at the reports sent out from the Service Centers and weigh up your options. Also, the Consulate you'd be using will play a big part. I went through London, and I haven't a bad word to say about them. They're efficient, friendly, and very polite. Do some research before you commit to one visa or another, as it really does vary greatly. Good luck!
Kate. xxxxxxx
Old Jul 8th 2003, 6:54 am
Just Joined

stevenrs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cindyabs
Depends on what service center you come under. Then I would go and look at the current processing times for the K1 and weigh it against the roughly two months or so that the K3 is taking. It also depends on what country your significant other is from.
Thank you Cindy. I should have been more specific. I live in WA state so I guess that means my paperwork will have to go to Nebraska which I hear is painfully slow. As for my fiance, she would be dealing with the U.S. Embassy in Beijing or the consulate in Guanzhou. Do you or anyone else know about any experiences as they relate to: China and Nebraska, K-1 vs K3?