Wikiposts

k-1 Visa questions....

Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:19 am
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute
Question k-1 Visa questions....

Hello, I am an American and my fiance is a British Citizen, I just mailed off the petition for his fiance visa and was wondering how long the process normally takes. Where will he have to go for his medical exam ( he is close to liverpool and manchester )? Thanks for any input and advice!
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: k-1 Visa questions....

Errr..you have two threads going. In one of them you are the UK citizen and are pregnant, and i the other you are the USC. Which one are you?? Or are both of you using the same account?

The K1 visa process generally takes 8-10 months from filing the I-129f to visa approval. The only indication of speed you can get depends on what Service Center you mailed the I-129f off to. However, be aware that there is nothing consistent when dealing with USCIS - a process that takes 6months right now, could take a year a month from now. The timelines provided on the USCIS website can only be used as a general guideline, and you can by no means count on them to be accurate.

The medical for the visa has to be done in London. This can only be scheduled once your visa interview has been scheduled at the US consulate in London. So you've got a ways to wait before you need to concern yourself with the medical.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Jul 28th 2008 at 3:31 am.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:31 am
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

um, i dont believe i put on there that I am a uk citizen and yes I did post two threads because the one regarding my baby's citizenship rights for 2 countries isnt anything to do with marriage visa... Ill go check the other thread but I am sure I didnt say I was a british cit.

yep I checked, I said I was engaged to a british citizen. Which is correct. And I am an American in the US, which is correct... Sorry you got confused.

Thanks for the reply. I found a place in london where he can do his med exam through another site just now.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint
um, i dont believe i put on there that I am a uk citizen and yes I did post two threads because the one regarding my baby's citizenship rights for 2 countries isnt anything to do with marriage visa... Ill go check the other thread but I am sure I didnt say I was a british cit.

yep I checked, I said I was engaged to a british citizen. Which is correct. And I am an American in the US, which is correct... Sorry you got confused.

Thanks for the reply. I found a place in london where he can do his med exam through another site just now.
There's not "a place", there's "THE place". Which is Knightsbridge Doctors.

First the I-129F petition must be approved.
Then, he applies for the K-1.
Then, he is given an interview date, and can make his appt. with Knightsbridge Doctors.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:37 am
Questy Questionson

One other question, while we are waiting on the Visa process... Can he come to the US for the birth of his child? without recourse to his application? or does he have to stay in the UK until the visa interview and pending approval?

ok... THE place then, gee sorry... i feel like i shouldnt have come here to ask any questions... ill be off now, thanks.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

californian is an unknown quantity at this point

The USCIS website offers timelines for I-129 petitions. Which service center will you be using? I'm sure others, who have used the same service center can give you an idea based upon their recent approvals.

K-1 visa processing in London can be done in 6 weeks or so (depending on how busy they are). To expedite you should make sure you have all the forms and documents ready to go, so that you can send the required forms in when the US Embassy London requests them and fill out the corresponding checklist (ensuring your fiance has all of the documents required for his interview). He can obtain his long form birth certificate from the General Register's Office. He will also need a police certificate, which can be obtained following the directions listed on this forum.

Re. the medical --- he needs to get it done at Knightbridge Doctors in London. Many people who don't live in London, choose to have it done near the date of their interview.

Last edited by californian; Jul 28th 2008 at 3:40 am.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:40 am
Questy Questionson

Originally Posted by californian
The USCIS website offers timelines for I-129 petitions. Which service center will you be using? I'm sure others, who have used the same service center can give you an idea based upon their recent approvals.

K-1 visa processing in London can be done in 6 weeks or so (depending on how busy they are). To expedite you should make sure you have all the forms and documents ready to go, so that you can send the required forms in when the US Embassy London requests them and fill out the corresponding checklist, stating your fiance has all of the documents he needs. He can obtain his long form birth certificate from the General Register's Office. He will also need a police certificate, which can be obtained following the directions listed on this forum.

Re. the medical --- he needs to get it done at Knightbridge Doctors in London. Many people who don't live in London, choose to have it done near the date of their interview.

Its being done through Vermont, hes getting his police certificate this week... hes only ever lived in one place his entire life so that will be easie enough. He has his long b/c all ready... we have the forms ready and filled out that we know of so far, including my sponsor ship along with my mother as a co sponsor as i am not allowed to work at the moment.... thank you once again for the input. It is appreciated.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

One other question, while we are waiting on the Visa process... Can he come to the US for the birth of his child? without recourse to his application? or does he have to stay in the UK until the visa interview and pending approval?

ok... THE place then, gee sorry... i feel like i shouldnt have come here to ask any questions... ill be off now, thanks.
For heaven's sakes - don't be so sensitive. I was giving you useful information - there is only one place he can go. Can't imagine what you are offended about.

In theory, he can visit the US while either the I-129f or the visa applications are in process. However, it is possible that the POE officer will not be convinced that he intends to return home. So, he would have to bring convincing evidence in order to be allowed entry.

Often, we recommend flying through Shannon or Dublin - they would pre-clear him through immigration there, so when he gets on the plane he will know he will be allowed into the US (technically he already would be). If he were refused in Dublin/Shannon, he could just walk away, where in the US he would be detained until the next flight, which could be the next day.

Not all airlines do the pre-clearance I believe, you'd have to be careful. As far as I know, Aer Lingus is one that does.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

californian is an unknown quantity at this point

He can use the visa waiver program. There is always the risk that he may be turned away --- which is definitely something the 2 of you should assess. Your fiance should bring proof that he will be returning to the UK (i.e. a letter from his employer stating that he is expected back on a certain date and other evidence supporting firm ties to the UK). As many people have stated on this forum, he shouldn't present any such evidence unless asked.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:50 am
Questy Questionson

It must be the pregnancy hormones kicking in, sorry to take offense, it just seemed... ah whatever.

I did not know that Aer Lingus did the pre clearance... wouldnt his pending visa application be enough to prove that he intends to be in the US legally, that he just wants to come witness the birth of his 1st child? Its a mess. I wish he and I were millionaire's or at least better off than we are. I cant work due to a pre existing condition from my sons birth... so every penny we scrape up goes to getting him here...

Dublins an hour from him by ferry through liverpool, so I will check into him taking a flight out of Dublin, he has family there so if he were denied, he wouldnt be stuck.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:54 am
Questy Questionson

Unhappy Re: k-1 Visa questions....

Originally Posted by californian
He can use the visa waiver program. There is always the risk that he may be turned away --- which is definitely something the 2 of you should assess. Your fiance should bring proof that he will be returning to the UK (i.e. a letter from his employer stating that he is expected back on a certain date and other evidence supporting firm ties to the UK). As many people have stated on this forum, he shouldn't present any such evidence unless asked.
Right... well it would be his first time ever leaving the UK.. no stamps in his passport what so ever... the only ties he has in the UK to be honest is his ailing mother and his father and some other family. His employment is self employed as he writes novels and music and such... hes a very creative person so to speak so he makes his money through his writings...im not sure how that would work as being enough evidence to come back to the uk...
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It must be the pregnancy hormones kicking in, sorry to take offense, it just seemed... ah whatever.

I did not know that Aer Lingus did the pre clearance... wouldnt his pending visa application be enough to prove that he intends to be in the US legally, that he just wants to come witness the birth of his 1st child? Its a mess. I wish he and I were millionaire's or at least better off than we are. I cant work due to a pre existing condition from my sons birth... so every penny we scrape up goes to getting him here...

Dublins an hour from him by ferry through liverpool, so I will check into him taking a flight out of Dublin, he has family there so if he were denied, he wouldnt be stuck.
No problem

I don't think just the pending application would be sufficient imo. First of all, during the I-129f phase, he will not have applied for anything. Only you will have. In fact, I'm not sure even mentioning it unless specifically asked is a good idea - it shows he DOES have immigrant intent (I know not right then, but still...) We'll see what some others say.

If he has the usual proof of family ties, employment, rent/morgtage, etc. that would be better imo.

Never ever lie to the POE, that can come back to bite horrendously. But not volunteering extra information is a good idea - he's not required to.

I know you aren't asking about this right now, but if you do not have sufficient income, are you aware of the sponsorship requirements, both for the petition and the eventual I-864 when he adjusts status once over here? It sounds as if it is likely that you will need a co-sponsor.

Also, he will likely not be able to work for the first few months he is over here - there are *possibly* some ways around that, let us know if you want to here more. But in general, people plan for 3-6 months of the fiance not working once he arrives.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Right... well it would be his first time ever leaving the UK.. no stamps in his passport what so ever... the only ties he has in the UK to be honest is his ailing mother and his father and some other family. His employment is self employed as he writes novels and music and such... hes a very creative person so to speak so he makes his money through his writings...im not sure how that would work as being enough evidence to come back to the uk...
It is very very rare for a person to be turned away the first time they visit.

I don't know when your child is due, but there might be even less record of him (and thus less questions) during the I-129f phase, before he applies for the K-1.

Generally, people often say "holiday" which is true - a first time visitor coming for a reasonable length visit would be unlikely to be questioned further. Of course, again, he cannot lie if asked who he knows here, etc.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:59 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Right... well it would be his first time ever leaving the UK.........
he is planning to EMIGRATE to a country which he has never even visited?
Old Jul 28th 2008, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Elvira
he is planning to EMIGRATE to a country which he has never even visited?
Well, she would like to live in the UK - so I wouldn't think they have a lot to lose, other than the cost of applying.

As he isn't giving up a job or anything... they can always change their minds and go over there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.