Wikiposts

K-1 Visa Question

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 7:20 am
Tenarrus

Default K-1 Visa Question

I was hoping to get some clarification on the K-1 Visa process and timeline and
appreciate any help you can give. I have a GF who is a Canadian Citizen living in
Vancouver B.C. I am a U.S. citizen living in Seattle, WA. We see each other almost
every weekend with no difficulty crossing the border. Our main goal at this time is
to make it possible for her to live with me and work legally in the States with both
of us still being able to travel back n forth to Canada seeing family and friends
while growing our relationship.

After searching around the net I found the timeline below and was hoping someone
could clarify if the information below is correct.

4-6 months from I-129F filing to get Fiancee Visa then we have 90 days to get married
in U.S. After marriage it will take about 1-2 months for her to recieve a EAD card.
After the EAD continuing on getting a Green Card with the whole process from start to
finish taking about 3 years with a Advanced Parole in the timeline somewhere.

I'm wondering from the point of filing the I-129F when is the earliest my GF could
live with me in the U.S. and when is the earliest my GF could work in the States
which I'm assuming is once she recieves a EAD card.

Thanks for all the help....

- Justin

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 7:53 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K-1 Visa Question

You posted the timelines for the process already so you have your answer. Your GF cannot come to live with you in the US until the I-129F/K-1 is approved by both the INS Service Center and her interview and approval at the US Consulate in Vancouver. Being that you are in Seattle, you will be using the California Service Center so the process from start to finish will be approximately 5 to 8 months.

As for the timeline for working, Seattle is not known for its quickness and speed. Count on 90 days from date of filing for AOS after your marriage. If you marry on day two of her entry into the US and apply with a certified marriage certificate and appropriate forms on day 10 after marriage, you are looking at day 100 minimum for her to be able to work. And that is with her being able to get a social security card.

I know from your previous post that you are hoping you can find a way to get her to the US so that you can live together for a while before making it legal and during that time you would like her to be able to work and contribute financially to her own support. Unless she is a graduate with a full degree in a field that is qualified for a work type visa, her only other options would be to become a student or look for a type of job such as nanny, au pair, housekeeper, etc.
Old Jul 23rd 2002, 1:21 pm
Wim Colgate

Default Re: K-1 Visa Question

Nebraska serice center handles washington state.

"Rete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > You posted the timelines for the process already so you have your answer. Your GF
    > cannot come to live with you in the US until the I-129F/K-1 is approved by both the
    > INS Service Center and her interview and approval at the US Consulate in Vancouver.
    > Being that you are in Seattle, you will be using the California Service Center so
    > the process from start to finish will be approximately 5 to 8 months.
    >
    > As for the timeline for working, Seattle is not known for its quickness and speed.
    > Count on 90 days from date of filing for AOS after your marriage. If you marry on
    > day two of her entry into the US and apply with a certified marriage certificate
    > and appropriate forms on day 10 after marriage, you are looking at day 100 minimum
    > for her to be able to work. And that is with her being able to get a social
    > security card.
    >
    > I know from your previous post that you are hoping you can find a way to get her to
    > the US so that you can live together for a while before making it legal and during
    > that time you would like her to be able to work and contribute financially to her
    > own support. Unless she is a graduate with a full degree in a field that is
    > qualified for a work type visa, her only other options would be to become a student
    > or look for a type of job such as nanny, au pair, housekeeper, etc.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    >
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com