K-1 visa Dec 26th

Old Nov 20th 2009, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K-1 visa Dec 26th

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It's best not to have anything that resembles a wedding, before the K-1 is issued. You don't want to create any confusion whatsoever in the ConOff's mind whether you are or are not legally married. If the ConOff believes you're already married, it will delay the visa while she investigates.

Rene
True but if push comes to shove, I would think they could get the opinion of US immigration to determine if this would be a problem. With plane tickets reserved and vacations planned for relatives and all the non refundable costs associated with a wedding, this may be a possible solution instead of postponing the ceremony.

You never know, this may be quite a common situation that is acceptable to US immigration.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 9:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
True but if push comes to shove, I would think they could get the opinion of US immigration....
Who would they ask, exactly? I wouldn't trust the embassy or the 800 number to give them correct information. Perhaps if it comes to that, they can ask an immigration attorney during a 1-time consultation.

Then of course there's always the risk of not being allowed in on the VWP for whatever reason.

Rene
Old Nov 20th 2009, 9:30 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

M,

Which is not getting married, so why did you call it that rather than calling it a wedding ceremony? (Getting married in the USA may require a wedding ceremony, but having a wedding ceremony may not create a marriage.) Although, the concerns that Rene presented are valid.

Why would the second wedding ceremony necessarily be performed by a civil official?

Regards, JEff

If it is a church wedding and the K-1 still hasn't been approved, can't they just fly over and get married without a license and then return to the UK after the wedding and wait for the K-1 approval and when it is granted, enter the US and have the civil marriage before the Justice of the Peace?
Old Nov 20th 2009, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... can't they just fly over and get married without a license
You can't get married without a license. If you're talking about some sort of ceremony that resembles a wedding but isn't... well, that's just a bad idea.

Ian
Old Nov 20th 2009, 9:36 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

M,

It may not be acceptable to their church or the church official who performs wedding ceremonies. I understand that in some denominations the officials will not perform a wedding ceremony that will not be registered as a marriage. (Except, perhaps, in the case of an already married couple that wants to renew their vows.)

Something to ask the church involved about, though, and I do commend you for resourcefullness. Thinking 'outside the box' can be a good trait to have.

Regards, JEff

True but if push comes to shove, I would think they could get the opinion of US immigration to determine if this would be a problem. With plane tickets reserved and vacations planned for relatives and all the non refundable costs associated with a wedding, this may be a possible solution instead of postponing the ceremony.

You never know, this may be quite a common situation that is acceptable to US immigration.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You can't get married without a license. If you're talking about some sort of ceremony that resembles a wedding but isn't... well, that's just a bad idea.

Ian
Why is that a bad idea? It is done all the time. I know several people that had a civil wedding first with a license and then a church wedding afterwards. The church wedding is then not recognized by the state.

In this case, it is opposite of that since the church wedding is done first.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 9:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Why is that a bad idea? It is done all the time. I know several people that had a civil wedding first with a license and then a church wedding afterwards. The church wedding is then not recognized by the state.

And I know of one poster whose wife's AOS was delayed by three years because of just this thing.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

With all due respect, the people who you know probably/possibly/were not waiting for K1 fiance visa approval. We also do not know (nor do we need to know) the kind of wedding ceremony that the OP is planning to have.

If the OP gets married before the K1 visa approval then it is no longer a K1 fiance visa that he needs.

I think that there is a lesson to be learned here - we are reminded again and again not to book anything before we get our passport back in our hands with the visa inside.

Surely, the sensible thing to do is plan to put the wedding back but at the same time make the best endeavors to get all the paperwork in to the Embassy to be processed along with a request that you wish to leave the UK by "X" date. Hopefully the Embassy will do their best but there is a very small window for this to go the way that the OP needs/wants it to go.

Flights can usually be changed for a fee and the difference in the seat price at the time of booking and the time of changing the flight. I have had to change flights once (last Christmas) and was surprised that the airline charged me less than ÂŁ100 to change the flights. I know that moving the wedding is not what the OP wants but it's best to prepare for the outcomes that are likely.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 5:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

This is the point in time where a lot of pushy USC fiancees get on the horn with their elected officials and get some strings pulled at the Consulate.

It has happened multiple times in the past. Not endorsing it as a plan, but if that is where they are at now, time for the pushy American broad* () to live up to her reputation.

*being a pushy American broad myself
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 11:46 am
Just Joined

p.blow is an unknown quantity at this point

I would like to thank everyone for there in-put. I was giving myseld a 10% chance of making my own wedding. I am going to give the application until the 27th Nov to arrive if i don't have it by then i am going to delay the wedding probably until March. I do recieve the application and have it sent back to the embassy by Dec 1st i give myself a 30% chance of making my wedding, but i do know i need a lot of things to go my way to make this possible.

I also wanted to clear some things up with everyone who was good enough to make comments. I was not aware i had 6 months from the time i got my visa to leave and then + 90 days once i arrive in the states. I accept this is my fault for not doinf enough research, i thought when i had my visa i had 90 days to get married. this i s why me and my finace had our wedding date set. Just so you know why i am in this problem, and i accept this is my fault.

For those people who have recived there visa's how long realisticly am i looking before i have my visa in my hand?

I would like to thank everyone for there input

Peter
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 10:14 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on several things. How quickly you send in your checklist and how quickly you get your medical for example. Our petition was approved about 2 1/2 months after we applied.He had the medical 2 months later and the interview the following month with immediate approval and visa courierd over in a few days. About 5 1/2 months total for us. Then the fun of AOS begins!
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Craig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really nice

My NOA2 was recieved on Apr 27, 2009... and my K1 interview interview was on July 20, 2009... so about 3 months for us.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

p.blow is an unknown quantity at this point

It is not looking very good for me at the moment. I called up the embassy and they have still not recieved my case file from the NVC. I have accepted i will not make my wedding on Dec 26th. I would still like to be with my fiance' for christmas, is my US fiance' allowed to come and visit me while the K-1 visa is still processing? I don't want her to come into the country if we will have problems later on.

Does anyone know if my fiance' is allowed, I would have thought it be fine, bit i want to double check, thanks.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by p.blow
I would still like to be with my fiance' for christmas, is my US fiance' allowed to come and visit me while the K-1 visa is still processing? I don't want her to come into the country if we will have problems later on.

Does anyone know if my fiance' is allowed, I would have thought it be fine, bit i want to double check, thanks.
Of course your fiancée can visit, unless for some reason, she is ineligible to visit the UK as a tourist. You can also visit the US while your K-1 is pending. Either way, you can still visit with each other over the Christmas holidays.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 2:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by p.blow
It is not looking very good for me at the moment. I called up the embassy and they have still not recieved my case file from the NVC. I have accepted i will not make my wedding on Dec 26th. I would still like to be with my fiance' for christmas, is my US fiance' allowed to come and visit me while the K-1 visa is still processing? I don't want her to come into the country if we will have problems later on.

I'm sorry to hear you have to change the wedding plans, but yes...you guys are allowed to visit each other while the K-1 process is ongoing.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.