Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K-1 success! (warning - it's a long one!)

Wikiposts

K-1 success! (warning - it's a long one!)

Old Apr 29th 2002, 11:10 pm
Mister Heartbre

Default K-1 success! (warning - it's a long one!)

Hi Everyone!

I went to the US embassy in London for my K-1 interview yesterday.

I was sweating on an I-134 affidavit of support form from my primary sponsor that
hadn't come through (DHL - more bile about them later); I had a print of a scan of a
photocopy (!) of the original, and I had the original of the SECONDARY sponsor's
I-134, but still I was expecting not to get the visa until I could present the
embassy staff with the original of the other one.

All through my waiting time for the medical, I was trying to get in touch with DHL -
the package containing the I-134 was sent the previous Thursday evening from the US.
My fiancee was told that it would be in Liverpool "late Friday or early Saturday."
She even paid an extra fee to ensure it would be there then. I phoned DHL's Liverpool
office on Saturday morning, and it wasn't there. Nobody in DHL seemed to be able (or
even willing) to do anything to help. Emily phoned their US helpline, and it turned
out that the package had been sent to LONDON. She got them to put a note with it
saying to send it back down to London, but we found out that it wouldn't be there
until Monday morning, at the earliest.

I was frantically phoning DHL as soon as their helpline opened on Monday, and they
put me through to the Liverpool office. They essentially said that the only way
they would send it back down to London would be if I paid them an extra fee that
could have cost me anywhere from £150 to £250 - which I obviously couldn't afford.
I thanked them (through gritted teeth) and swore revenge - no, I mean 'and hung
up'. I figured that my only chance then was to throw myself on the mercy of the
embassy staff.

The medical went off without a hitch, and while there I met a fantastic couple - hi
Rick and Brinda (I hope I've spelt your name right...:-S) - who gave me tremendous
moral support throughout the day. I don't know if I could have got (sorry Emily -
'gotten'!) through it without their help.

Anyway, medical over, we trudged off to the embassy. I handed in my paperwork and in
doing so I said to the officer "I've got a problem with my paperwork." I explained
about only having a copy of theI-134, and he said "Oh, that shouldn't be any
problem." I felt as if a thousand pound weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I
went to sit back down to wait a little while, and all I could think of was to phone
Emily and my family to say that they'd accepted the forms.

Brinda, Rick and I went off to get a little lunch and find Speaker's Corner (it's out
there somewhere, Brinda...), and when we went back we sat down and waited for a while
longer (lot of waiting in this story!). Eventually I was called up for the interview,
and the officer who interviewed me (I wish I'd thought to ask his name) was the
nicest, friendliest, most helpful person I've met in ANY job in a VERY long time. He
asked how Emily and I had met, how long we'd known each other, when we first met in
person and which of us was the first to visit the other, how much Emily earned
(confirming that the photocopied I-134 wasn't a problem), and a couple of other
questions; then he turned to his computer, clicked a couple of things and said "I'm
approving this, pending the medical" Well, my heart SOARED. I haven't felt that good
since the last time I saw Emily. I'm still excited now, just thinking back on it!

Brinda, Rick and I waited; and waited, and waited...lots of other people were called
up and given their visas before us, and still we waited. Then they called my name,
and I was handed the visa, the fabled mysterious sealed brown envelope, and had the
process explained to me (nothing I haven't read here and elsewhere a dozen times
before!). The one thing I didn't hear was 'Welcome to the United States.' But that's
okay - I think I'll be getting a MORE than sufficient welcome from Emily when I land
in Atlanta on Wednesday night!

After Rick had been given his visa (congrats, mate!), he, Brinda and I went for a
celebratory lunch at the Hard Rock cafe (recommended to anyone - I saw Madonna's
pointy bra thingy!) - and then we went over to the Millenium Eye (if you're in London
and the weather's good, DO IT! If you're in London and the weather's bad, just wait
an hour for the weather to change, and then DO IT!).

All in all, I had a fantastic day. DHL's 'customer services' (HA!) will be getting
a bile-laden 'snot-a-gram' from me, but the US embassy staff could not have been
more helpful.

To everyone who has an interview coming up for any type of visa - I wish you the very
best of luck.

To everyone here who has helped us over the long application process - I won't
mention any specific names because you're all wonderful people and you all deserve
equal recognition (plus I don't want to embarrass myself by forgetting someone!) -
thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou! Your help has been absolutely invaluable
over the last few months. I wouldn't have known where to turn if I didn't have this
newsgroup/bulletin board to read.

Next step: POE (Detroit :-S) tomorrow night! I'll let you know what happens
(especially you, R&B!).

Much love, Dave.

PS: I'm just off to http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html to post what I've just
spent an hour typing...okay, Rita?!

Old Apr 29th 2002, 11:40 pm
Jan

Default Re: K-1 success! (warning - it's a long one!)

Congrats Dave !!! Good to hear everything came right in the end )) let us know how
you did with Detroit POE plssss .... once you have spent time with your lovely lady
of course !

All the best for the future

Jan ) UK (moving to michigan ...soon i hope.... interview 7th may) "Mister
Heartbreak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Xns9200737381148davelamb68hotma...62.253.162.107...
    > Hi Everyone!
    >
    > I went to the US embassy in London for my K-1 interview yesterday.
    >
    > I was sweating on an I-134 affidavit of support form from my primary sponsor that
    > hadn't come through (DHL - more bile about them later); I had a print of a scan of
    > a photocopy (!) of the original, and I had the original of the SECONDARY sponsor's
    > I-134, but still I was expecting not to get the visa until I could present the
    > embassy staff with the original of the other one.
    >
    > All through my waiting time for the medical, I was trying to get in touch with DHL
    > - the package containing the I-134 was sent the previous Thursday evening from the
    > US. My fiancee was told that it would be in Liverpool "late Friday or early
    > Saturday." She even paid an extra fee to ensure it would be there then. I phoned
    > DHL's Liverpool office on Saturday morning, and it wasn't there. Nobody in DHL
    > seemed to be able (or even willing) to do anything to help. Emily phoned their US
    > helpline, and it turned out that the package had been sent to LONDON. She got them
    > to put a note with it saying to send it back down to London, but we found out that
    > it wouldn't be there until Monday morning, at the earliest.
    >
    > I was frantically phoning DHL as soon as their helpline opened on Monday, and they
    > put me through to the Liverpool office. They essentially said that the only way
    > they would send it back down to London would be if I paid them an extra fee that
    > could have cost me anywhere from £150 to £250 - which I obviously couldn't afford.
    > I thanked them (through gritted teeth) and swore revenge - no, I mean 'and hung
    > up'. I figured that my only chance then was to throw myself on the mercy of the
    > embassy staff.
    >
    > The medical went off without a hitch, and while there I met a fantastic couple - hi
    > Rick and Brinda (I hope I've spelt your name right...:-S) - who gave me tremendous
    > moral support throughout the day. I don't know if I could have got (sorry Emily -
    > 'gotten'!) through it without their help.
    >
    > Anyway, medical over, we trudged off to the embassy. I handed in my paperwork and
    > in doing so I said to the officer "I've got a problem with my paperwork." I
    > explained about only having a copy of theI-134, and he said "Oh, that shouldn't be
    > any problem." I felt as if a thousand pound weight had been lifted off my
    > shoulders. I went to sit back down to wait a little while, and all I could think of
    > was to phone Emily and my family to say that they'd accepted the forms.
    >
    > Brinda, Rick and I went off to get a little lunch and find Speaker's Corner (it's
    > out there somewhere, Brinda...), and when we went back we sat down and waited for a
    > while longer (lot of waiting in this story!). Eventually I was called up for the
    > interview, and the officer who interviewed me (I wish I'd thought to ask his name)
    > was the nicest, friendliest, most helpful person I've met in ANY job in a VERY long
    > time. He asked how Emily and I had met, how long we'd known each other, when we
    > first met in person and which of us was the first to visit the other, how much
    > Emily earned (confirming that the photocopied I-134 wasn't a problem), and a couple
    > of other questions; then he turned to his computer, clicked a couple of things and
    > said "I'm approving this, pending the medical" Well, my heart SOARED. I haven't
    > felt that good since the last time I saw Emily. I'm still excited now, just
    > thinking back on it!
    >
    > Brinda, Rick and I waited; and waited, and waited...lots of other people were
    > called up and given their visas before us, and still we waited. Then they called my
    > name, and I was handed the visa, the fabled mysterious sealed brown envelope, and
    > had the process explained to me (nothing I haven't read here and elsewhere a dozen
    > times before!). The one thing I didn't hear was 'Welcome to the United States.' But
    > that's okay - I think I'll be getting a MORE than sufficient welcome from Emily
    > when I land in Atlanta on Wednesday night!
    >
    > After Rick had been given his visa (congrats, mate!), he, Brinda and I went for a
    > celebratory lunch at the Hard Rock cafe (recommended to anyone - I saw Madonna's
    > pointy bra thingy!) - and then we went over to the Millenium Eye (if you're in
    > London and the weather's good, DO IT! If you're in London and the weather's bad,
    > just wait an hour for the weather to change, and then DO IT!).
    >
    > All in all, I had a fantastic day. DHL's 'customer services' (HA!) will be getting
    > a bile-laden 'snot-a-gram' from me, but the US embassy staff could not have been
    > more helpful.
    >
    > To everyone who has an interview coming up for any type of visa - I wish you the
    > very best of luck.
    >
    > To everyone here who has helped us over the long application process - I won't
    > mention any specific names because you're all wonderful people and you all deserve
    > equal recognition (plus I don't want to embarrass myself by forgetting someone!) -
    > thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou! Your help has been absolutely invaluable
    > over the last few months. I wouldn't have known where to turn if I didn't have this
    > newsgroup/bulletin board to read.
    >
    > Next step: POE (Detroit :-S) tomorrow night! I'll let you know what happens
    > (especially you, R&B!).
    >
    > Much love, Dave.
    >
    > PS: I'm just off to http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html to post what I've
    > just spent an hour typing...okay, Rita?!

Old Apr 30th 2002, 1:10 am
Gavin.McCormack

Glad to hear it Dave. All the best for the next stages...and as Jan says...keep us a
few stages behind well posted. So what the hell were you worrying about...moan moan
moan...ohh I haven't got the right form...oh DHL...oh help....nah only kidding mate,
I am right there behind you...9 days and its my pants that will be filling up. Nice
to hear someone with a hiccup still managed to succeed.

Next stop the customs man/lady....breeze through it....and then....well, life can
begin eh. Hope mine goes as smoothly as yours hahahaha....or else I am going to have
to marry a millionaire who might be happy with my sorry ass. G

Mister Heartbreak <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Xns9200737381148davelamb68hotma...62.253.162.107...
    > Hi Everyone!
    >
    >
    > I was sweating on an I-134 affidavit of support form from my primary sponsor that
    > hadn't come through (DHL - more bile about them later); I had a print of a scan of
    > a photocopy (!) of the original, and I had the original of the SECONDARY sponsor's
    > I-134, but still I was expecting not to get the visa until I could present the
    >
    > All through my waiting time for the medical, I was trying to get in touch with DHL
    > - the package containing the I-134 was sent the previous Thursday evening from the
    > Saturday." She even paid an extra fee to ensure it would be there then. I phoned
    > DHL's Liverpool office on Saturday morning, and it wasn't there. Nobody in DHL
    > seemed to be able (or even willing) to do anything to help. Emily phoned their US
    > helpline, and it turned out that the package had been sent to LONDON. She got them
    > to put a note with it saying to send it back down to London, but we found out that
    >
    > I was frantically phoning DHL as soon as their helpline opened on Monday, and they
    > put me through to the Liverpool office. They essentially said that the only way
    > they would send it back down to London would be if I paid them an extra fee that
    > could have cost me anywhere from £150 to £250 - which I obviously couldn't afford.
    > I thanked them (through gritted teeth) and swore revenge - no, I mean 'and hung
    > up'. I figured that my only chance then was to throw myself on the mercy of the
    > embassy staff.
    >
    > The medical went off without a hitch, and while there I met a fantastic couple - hi
    > Rick and Brinda (I hope I've spelt your name right...:-S) - who gave me tremendous
    > moral support throughout the day. I don't know if I could have got (sorry Emily -
    >
    > Anyway, medical over, we trudged off to the embassy. I handed in my paperwork and
    > in doing so I said to the officer "I've got a problem with my paperwork." I
    > explained about only having a copy of theI-134, and he said "Oh, that shouldn't be
    > any problem." I felt as if a thousand pound weight had been lifted off my
    > shoulders. I went to sit back down to wait a little while, and all I could think of
    > was to phone Emily and my family to say that they'd accepted the forms.
    >
    > Brinda, Rick and I went off to get a little lunch and find Speaker's Corner (it's
    > out there somewhere, Brinda...), and when we went back we sat down and waited for a
    > while longer (lot of waiting in this story!). Eventually I was called up for the
    > interview, and the officer who interviewed me (I wish I'd thought to ask his name)
    > was the nicest, friendliest, most helpful person I've met in ANY job in a VERY long
    > time. He asked how Emily and I had met, how long we'd known each other, when we
    > first met in person and which of us was the first to visit the other, how much
    > Emily earned (confirming that the photocopied I-134 wasn't a problem), and a couple
    > of other questions; then he turned to his computer, clicked a couple of things and
    > said "I'm approving this, pending the medical" Well, my heart SOARED. I haven't
    > felt that good since the last time I saw Emily. I'm still excited now, just
    > thinking back on it!
    >
    > Brinda, Rick and I waited; and waited, and waited...lots of other people were
    > called up and given their visas before us, and still we waited. Then they called my
    > name, and I was handed the visa, the fabled mysterious sealed brown envelope, and
    > had the process explained to me (nothing I haven't read here and elsewhere a dozen
    > times before!). The one thing I didn't hear was 'Welcome to the United States.' But
    > that's okay - I think I'll be getting a MORE than sufficient welcome from Emily
    > when I land in Atlanta on Wednesday night!
    >
    > After Rick had been given his visa (congrats, mate!), he, Brinda and I went for a
    > celebratory lunch at the Hard Rock cafe (recommended to anyone - I saw Madonna's
    > pointy bra thingy!) - and then we went over to the Millenium Eye (if you're in
    > London and the weather's good, DO IT! If you're in London and the weather's bad,
    > just wait an hour for the weather to change, and then DO IT!).
    >
    > All in all, I had a fantastic day. DHL's 'customer services' (HA!) will be getting
    > a bile-laden 'snot-a-gram' from me, but the US embassy staff could not have been
    > more helpful.
    >
    > To everyone who has an interview coming up for any type of visa - I wish you the
    > very best of luck.
    >
    > To everyone here who has helped us over the long application process - I won't
    > mention any specific names because you're all wonderful people and you all deserve
    > equal recognition (plus I don't want to embarrass myself by forgetting someone!) -
    > thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou! Your help has been absolutely invaluable
    > over the last few months. I wouldn't have known where to turn if I didn't have this
    > newsgroup/bulletin board to read.
    >
    > Next step: POE (Detroit :-S) tomorrow night! I'll let you know what happens
    > (especially you, R&B!).
    >
    > Much love, Dave.
    >
    > PS: I'm just off to http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html to post what I've
    > just spent an hour typing...okay, Rita?!

Old Apr 30th 2002, 2:10 am
Betastar

>Hi Everyone!
    >
    >I went to the US embassy in London for my K-1 interview yesterday.

Congratulations, Dave! This was a great read - glad things worked out despite DHL. =)

Betastar

Old Apr 30th 2002, 2:10 am
Swoosh

Congratulations Dave! I am really glad it all worked out for you in the end. My
heart was going out to you this weekend when I read your post regarding your
problems with DHL. I'm sure that was like a nightmare come true =). All the best to
you and your fiance!

Jeannine

Mister Heartbreak <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. 162.107>...
    > Hi Everyone!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > embassy staff.
    >

Old Apr 30th 2002, 3:10 am
Mister Heartbre

"gavin.mccormack" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Glad to hear it Dave. All the best for the next stages...and as Jan says...keep us
    > a few stages behind well posted. So what the hell were you worrying about...moan
    > moan moan...ohh I haven't got the right form...oh DHL...oh help....nah only kidding
    > mate, I am right there behind you...9 days and its my pants that will be filling
    > up. Nice to hear someone with a hiccup still managed to succeed.
    >
    > Next stop the customs man/lady....breeze through it....and then....well, life can
    > begin eh. Hope mine goes as smoothly as yours hahahaha....or else I am going to
    > have to marry a millionaire who might be happy with my sorry ass. G

You're right, mate - I AM a whining bugger...just ask anyone who knows me!

Very best of luck for your interview; it's going to go well - why shouldn't it?!

Dave.

Old Apr 30th 2002, 4:34 am
K
BE Enthusiast

K is an unknown quantity at this point

First of all well done
I had a similar problem with dhl the day before i went to london for my interview. In my case it was the originals of the boarding passes which my then fiance had in his possession and he had sent them over to me via dhl. I was panicking anyway and this didnt help. They did arrive but only after i had already left for london from wales so i couldnt wait around for them. I too remember calling DHL and them being of no help what so ever. I can really sympathise. Still the main thing is that you are on your way

Congratulations to you both.
Old Apr 30th 2002, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

RickQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations again Dave

It was good to meet you and I'm really glad that the DHL snafu was not a problem.

I'll be in touch.

Rick

Old Apr 30th 2002, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

BestGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

It's Brynda, but don't worry about it, Dave. I am not the INS, so spelling doesn't count.

When I came thru Detroit today, I asked the INS folks which line a k-1 visa holder should use. He said the Visitors line (as opposed to the US Citizens and Alien Residents line). Unfortunately, that is the slower line, so be prepared for a wait.

It was great meeting you and hanging out on Monday. All the best to you and Emily. We will send the pics as soon as we get them developed.
Old Apr 30th 2002, 1:40 pm
Jeffrey Scharpf

Congrats Dave!

I wonder why embassys are getting friendlier ..

Old May 3rd 2002, 5:40 am
Dave And Emily

BestGirl wrote news:[email protected]:

> It's Brynda, but don't worry about it, Dave. I am not the INS, so spelling doesn't
    > count.
    >
    > When I came thru Detroit today, I asked the INS folks which line a k-1 visa holder
    > should use. He said the Visitors line (as opposed to the US Citizens and Alien
    > Residents line). Unfortunately, that is the slower line, so be prepared for a wait.
    >
    > It was great meeting you and hanging out on Monday. All the best to you and Emily.
    > We will send the pics as soon as we get them developed.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    >

Thanks Brynda (and sorry about the spelling!)! I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you guys
too - I had a great day.

I'm going to post my POE experience in a different thread.

Talk to you both soon!

Dave.