Reload this Page >

k-1 medical and visa interview

Wikiposts

k-1 medical and visa interview

Old Feb 2nd 2010, 10:18 am
Just Joined

p.blow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default k-1 medical and visa interview

I just wanted to pass on my experience's of my mediacal and interview.

The Medical! I arrived at 9:20am for a 9:50 appointment and i was out of the door an hour later. When i arrived i was asked to hand over my passport, passport photo, questionaire and vaccination letter or what ever your GP gives to you.

I first had to talk to a doctor, asking what visa i was applying for and she checked my vaccination letter. All i needed was a MMR booster ( I recieved a Hep A & B, flu jab and the MMR booster from my GP free on the NHS) I am not sure what else is free on the NHS.

After that i took a seat back in the waiting room, 5 minutes later i was having my chest X-ray, which is over in seconds. I then had to wait for maybe 10 minutes, before a doctor called me back for my check-up. My check-up consisted of:

height and weight
eye test
blood test
hernia test

I then paid £190 The receptionist said id there is a problem we will call if everything is fine you will not hear anything. I did not hear anything.

The Visa Interview.

My appointment was at 9:00am Febuary 1st

I arrived at the Embassy at 7:30am and was given my number and in the embassy by 8:00am (One thing i did not think of when i was going throught security, I had packed two music cards to prove the relationship, which had batteries in, I had to bin both cards.)

I was waiting nervously for a 1:15 minutes before my number was called to window 13 (All the I numbers were being called to window 1 and 13) I was asked to give my finger prints first and then pay the £82 interview fee. I was also give my x-ray back.

The documents i was asked for were:

Police certificate and copy
birth certificate and copy
2 passport photos
passport
Tax returns(I gave a bank letter, bank statements for the past 12 months, a letter of my finace's work)
Photos of the two of us together

I was then told to fill out the pink courier form while i wait to be called again.

(On the courier form they will send you a text letting you know when they will post you paaport back and what time. I did not know my mobile number, so i just gave my home number. If you do not know your mobile number write it doen before)

I was waiting 45 - 50 minutes before i was called again. I took the oath first ans then the officer asked my a couple of questions:
Where did you and you fiance' meet?
When do you plan on going over?
When are you getting married?

I was then told that i had been approved for the visa! yah!!!
I was also told that when i recieve my passport back i will recieve an envelope which will be sealed, it must remian sealed and given to the officer at the P.O.E when you enter the US and the x-ray had to be put in my checked bags.

I then proceed to pay the courier:

It is £14.50 standard
£20.50 before noon
£26.50 before 10
£26.50 before 8

I hope this helps and answers any questions you wanted to know about the medical and visa interview. If you have any questions, i will try and answer them.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 10:30 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: k-1 medical and visa interview

Congratulations!

Rene
Old Feb 4th 2010, 8:47 am
Just Joined

I have a few questions you maybe able to answer

When i was having my interview i was told that i was not allowed to work on the K-1 visa, is this true?? I was under the impression you were allowed to work. The officer told me that my fiance needed to file the I-131 application!

When i arrive in the US do i wait for a "welcome note/letter" from the USCIS or do i go to the social security office after around 10 days anf file for my SSN?

last question, What do i do once i am married to become a perminant resident?

Thank you

p.Blow
Old Feb 4th 2010, 8:54 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

After you arrive as a K-1, you'll want to wait about 10 days and then apply for your SSN.
It does not give you permission to work.

After you get married, you need to apply to become a Permanent Resident so you can stay beyond the 90 day admission. That process is called AOS/Adjustment of Status:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Adjust...-3_Spouse_Visa

When you make your AOS application, you can apply for a work permit. It takes about 90 days to recieve, from application.
You can't work before you have the EAD/Employment Authorization Document in your hand.
You also should not travel out of the US without a travel document called AP/Advance Parole.

Once your AOS is approved, you get a 'green card' which is your work and travel permit all in one.

Start studying!
Old Feb 4th 2010, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Thank you Meauxna!

I already have 2 years, 64 credit hours completed when i was on my F-1. I plan on studying this fall.

Thanks for the info
Old Feb 4th 2010, 9:05 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by p.blow
Thank you Meauxna!

I already have 2 years, 64 credit hours completed when i was on my F-1. I plan on studying this fall.

Thanks for the info
If you already have a SSN from your F-1 time, you don't need to go to SSA until you get your EAD.
Go again when you get your green card and you can get a new card w/out the legend on it.

(I meant start studying the AOS procedures! But stay in school too, m'kay? )
Old Feb 4th 2010, 9:47 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by p.blow
When i was having my interview i was told that i was not allowed to work on the K-1 visa, is this true?? I was under the impression you were allowed to work. The officer told me that my fiance needed to file the I-131 application!
Just for clarification, which you'll find out when you read the Wiki....the I-131 application is for Advance Parole (so you can take trips abroad and return to the USA while your AOS is pending).

It's the I-765 application which gives you the employment authorization document (EAD) so you can work.

Both applications are filed along with your AOS package, at no extra cost.

Rene