Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K-1 marriage next week. Have question

K-1 marriage next week. Have question

Old Feb 12th 2004, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

wesleygolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K-1 marriage next week. Have question

How long do i have to file AOS papers after marriage? My fiance has been here 60 days now, and we are getting married in a week. How do we find out where to send the papers? Any help would be appreciated. We are in Tennessee !
Old Feb 12th 2004, 9:40 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K-1 marriage next week. Have question

Originally posted by wesleygolf
How long do i have to file AOS papers after marriage? My fiance has been here 60 days now, and we are getting married in a week. How do we find out where to send the papers? Any help would be appreciated. We are in Tennessee !
What kind of visa did your fiancee come to the States with? A K-1? A tourist visa?

My husband, Mark, came here on a K-1 visa, which expired in Sept 2003. His I-94 expired at the end of Aug 2003. Since it took us quite a while to get all the proper documents needed, we didn't file for AOS/EAD until mid-Oct 2003.

From what I've read on this NG, you can file any time after you're married, but many people recommend doing so within 180 days of the visa expiration. I'm not sure of all the legalities of it, but it seems that as long as you're fewer than 180 days out of status, you should be ok.

We found out how to file our AOS/EAD application by ordering the forms directly from the USCIS website and having them mailed to us. They not only sent the forms, but also a cover letter with additional information on it, specific to our USCIS sub-office in Norfolk, VA. We also requested two of each form, just in case we screwed up and needed to redo anything.

You can order these forms here:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/exec/forms/index.asp

Some things you'd probably want to order (even if you don't use them all):
I-485 Adjustment of Status to Permanent Resident
I-765 Application for Employment Authorization
I-864 Affidavit of Support
G-325A Biographic Information
I-131 Application for Travel Document
I-693 Medical Examination for Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status

Best of luck,

~ Jenney
Old Feb 12th 2004, 11:02 am
Mrtravelkay

wesleygolf wrote:

> How long do i have to file AOS papers after marriage? My fiance has been
    > here 60 days now, and we are getting married in a week. How do we find
    > out where to send the papers? Any help would be appreciated. We are in
    > Tennessee !

You file at the District Office or Suboffice unless you are in the
Baltimore District.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-485.htm

The only papers that you should normally be waiting for after the
marriage is the marriage certificate. So, to be safe, get it as soon as
possible after the wedding.

Old Feb 12th 2004, 4:13 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

wesley,

You read the instructions?

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by wesleygolf
... How do we find out where to send the papers? ...