Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K-1 -> Marriage -> Change of name (females) -> New Passport?!

Wikiposts

K-1 -> Marriage -> Change of name (females) -> New Passport?!

Old Apr 17th 2009, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

kateb77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question K-1 -> Marriage -> Change of name (females) -> New Passport?!

Hi.. am getting ahead of myself a bit here but I have a question...

Once the K-1 is approved and you're in the States, you get married and take on your new husband's surname, surely you then need to apply for a new passport?! But the issued Visa will be in the current passport won't it?!
So, do you need to apply for a new passport (sending it back to the UK?!) before doing the AOS so that the spouse visa is then in the new passport?!
or am I just thinking too much about this?!

Sorry... will stop now before I start rambling
Old Apr 17th 2009, 9:20 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: K-1 -> Marriage -> Change of name (females) -> New Passport?!

Originally Posted by kateb77

Once the K-1 is approved and you're in the States, you get married and take on your new husband's surname, surely you then need to apply for a new passport?! But the issued Visa will be in the current passport won't it?!
So, do you need to apply for a new passport (sending it back to the UK?!) before doing the AOS so that the spouse visa is then in the new passport?!
or am I just thinking too much about this?!

Sorry... will stop now before I start rambling
You don't need to but you can, if you want, apply for a new passport in your married name.

Your old passport will be returned to you - the passport office in the US is in Washington DC.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 1:18 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... you get married and take on your new husband's surname...
You know you don't have to do this, right?

... surely you then need to apply for a new passport?
No, you don't have to. When you travel, use your old passport and take a copy of your marriage certificate. Simple.

But the issued Visa will be in the current passport won't it?
Once you enter the US using the K-1 visa, it becomes invalid. It's only useful for a single entry.

AOS doesn't get you a "spouse visa"... indeed, it doesn't get you a visa of any sort. Once you apply for AOS, you'll also apply for Advance Parole so you can travel, but A/P isn't put in your passport... it's just some papers you carry with you. If you do want to get a new passport with your married name and you're at all concerned, just carry both passports when you travel. Simple.

Ian
Old Apr 18th 2009, 2:07 am
Just Joined

kateb77 is an unknown quantity at this point

I see!
Thanks for clarifying all that... seriously, you BE folk are so helpful! x
Old Apr 18th 2009, 8:28 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

kb,

No. My wife's passport remains in her maiden name. Although, all of her US documentation - SS card, DL, and now her shiny new US passport, are in her 'married' name.

Regards, JEff

Once the K-1 is approved and you're in the States, you get married and take on your new husband's surname, surely you then need to apply for a new passport?!
Old Apr 18th 2009, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
kb,

No. My wife's passport remains in her maiden name. Although, all of her US documentation - SS card, DL, and now her shiny new US passport, are in her 'married' name.

Regards, JEff
Will that be tricky if she makes a journey where she needs to use both passports (UK one to enter UK and US to re-enter US) - I've always understood that your ticket must match the passport name?
Old Apr 18th 2009, 4:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Will that be tricky if she makes a journey where she needs to use both passports (UK one to enter UK and US to re-enter US) - I've always understood that your ticket must match the passport name?
Your ticket will match the passport name, you'll carry both passports with you, so you can show them that your ticket name does indeed match one of your passport's names.

Rene
Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:42 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Shouldn't be. Airline staff will always be shown the passport that matches the ticket.

Immigration staff will be shown the passport for the country they represent.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

update on traveling with dual nationality/2 passports

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=604560