Reload this Page >

K-1 Interview Affidavit / Funds question

K-1 Interview Affidavit / Funds question

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 11:13 pm
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough
Default K-1 Interview Affidavit / Funds question

Hi all,

I hope to have my interview this coming April/May.

My fiancee is currently a student, and still will be at the time of my interview (she graduates soon after).

Her mother is going to be the co-sponsor and is filling in the affidavit of support as she makes well above the requirements, and my fiancee is also filling in one as she is required to also. So I know all about that.

But where does that leave me? Do I need to have any proof of my own funds, and if so how much? Does having the Affidavits prove I won't become a public charge?

I only asked this as I don't want them to ask me something like. "Your fiancee doesn't have a full time job, you don't have a job and you both have minimal savings so how do you expect to live?".

I guess I just want reassurance that having the Affidavit's is enough. If it isn't how much of my own funds will satisfy them?

Thanks in advance

James
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K-1 Interview Affidavit / Funds question

Mcjimbo,

I think this could become a potential question when you go to file the I-864 Aff of Support with the AOS package. Unless your very rich (which you would file a different visa then probably) they don't consider your income at all, as I understand it. They are strictly looking at the (co)sponsors income.

Jamie
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 11:42 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

James,

Find and read DS-2000, Evidence Which May Be Presented To Meet The Public Charge Provisions Of The Law (formerly form OF-167).

This is the requirement that must be satisfied to get a visa. An affidavit of support is one item of evidence typically required.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by mcjimbo
Hi all,

My fiancee is currently a student, and still will be at the time of my interview (she graduates soon after).

Her mother is going to be the co-sponsor and is filling in the affidavit of support as she makes well above the requirements, and my fiancee is also filling in one as she is required to also. So I know all about that.

But where does that leave me? Do I need to have any proof of my own funds, and if so how much? Does having the Affidavits prove I won't become a public charge?

I only asked this as I don't want them to ask me something like. "Your fiancee doesn't have a full time job, you don't have a job and you both have minimal savings so how do you expect to live?".

I guess I just want reassurance that having the Affidavit's is enough. If it isn't how much of my own funds will satisfy them?

Thanks in advance

James
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 12:24 am
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough

Thanks alot guys.

I will look into the DS-2000 evidence. It would be nice for someone to share there experience with their K-1 London interview experience in regards to the Affidavit / Funds.

Would be interested to hear what questions they asked, and exactly what evidence they needed. I

I just want to be 100% prepared for anythiong.

Cheers

James
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 12:51 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

While the question might well be asked, was asked of my husband when he interviewed for the K-1 in Montreal, you answer truthfully. It is not so much a question in regards to your financial situation but a question used to ascertain what your plans are with your life and perhaps just generally conversational.

Rete

Originally posted by mcjimbo
Hi all,

Thanks in advance

James