Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K-1 husband wants to stay married for his green card

K-1 husband wants to stay married for his green card

Old May 1st 2003, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

can you charge him with any crime. I thought under a conditional green card that alone (if he is convicted) could result in deportation. You could divorce him and get a lawyer to get a restraining order). You could then have the police supervise him move out as they serve the divorce papers. If he tries anything he will violate the restraining order, and be breaking the law. He would then possibly be deportable. You may also get one of those X-10 cameras for you front yard to watch your property. You should also at some point once you have done all this document everythign and submit it to your local office. Document the threats. You shoudl write your congressman and ask him to write the INS on your behalf. Have all ther return addresses go to a friend and tell them you are in fear of your life because he has threatened you. Maybe some of these steps will get him kicked out. Ussually I don;t ever tell someone to try and deport someone, as I think that is kinda hard core and ussually due to a break down in love, but in this case it is pure fraus and this guy is a really jerk and law breaker. I will feel ashamed to have him become an american. Everything he is doing is the opposite of what the US stands for. You need to make this clear to them. A lawyer will relaly get the ball rolling fast on this though. The problem is it looks liek you might need both a imm. attourney and a civil attourney. yikes. But this guy deserves anything you can throw at him.
Old May 1st 2003, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What next?

Originally posted by Carribean Diva
A friend of mine got him a job to get him out of the house and the man is so lazy he cursed out the guy and now sits all day in front of the television running up my electricity and eating my food.
With no SS# or EAD he was working illegally.
Old May 1st 2003, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Both of you are being abused. Abuse starts out as threats and controlling, then becomes phycical.

Please call 1-800-799-SAFE to find a local advocacy group. Be careful.
Old May 2nd 2003, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

bobzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Caro
Bobzy, just out of curiosity, did they do anything after they realized that she forged your signature, or was she just left unpunished?
By the time that I found that she had forged my signature, I already realized that there was no point in trying to "turn her in" -- and it was by then long after the fact. Instead, I complained to my state reps and such about the general lax attitude of the INS (pre 9-11). My case in Pennsylvania might actually be data to that guy who is now running Homeland . . .

I am always amazed by the number of people who post in this NG that they have been victim of fraud for a GC, and by the fact that the INS doesn't care really once conditional permanent residency has been awarded
In answer to others who seem to be asking, "aren't people like this commiting a crime that could have them deported": Yes, these kinds of people have commited deportable and sometimes *jailable* crimes. But INS agents were so helpful in explaining the appearance of VAWA fraud to me because they were frustrated in being powerless to otherwise help.

Think practically about how much time BCIS would have to spend to investigate even a single case, then how much time they would need to take these to a hearing, etc. And consider that in most cases, it would be just about impossible to prove fraud over the alternative of a simple failed marriage.

From my experience, the real issue isn't what BCIS might do. The real issue is to minimize the damage if it looks like you are about to be part of a train wreck. The train was moving very quickly by the time I decided to jump off, and it has taken a long time for broken arms, legs, and heart to heal -- and cost my children their college education. But if I hadn't jumped when I did, I could very well be six feet under right now.
Old May 2nd 2003, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

Carribean Diva -- You need a big hug, too!
Old May 2nd 2003, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

And consider that in most cases, it would be just about impossible to prove fraud over the alternative of a simple failed marriage.
Sometimes it is true that it would be very difficult for the INS to differentiate between a failed marriage with bitter spouses and a real fraud. But, in your case, she forged your signature to obtain an immigration benefit. Whether US citizen or foreigner, forging a document/signature is punishable. It is kind of like pretending to be a US citizen to get a job.

I am amazed by the fact that there appeared to be no recourse in your case (INS would not do anything). I can only imagine how it must have hurt you and how little faith you must now have in the entire system... More importantly however, I am glad that you were able to jump off before it was too late.

Caroline
Old May 2nd 2003, 5:34 am
Just Joined

Carribean Diva is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What next?

Originally posted by robclews
With no SS# or EAD he was working illegally.
It was not a paid job. He was going to work with a friend to keep him busy during the day and see what was going on around him. Our friend is always on the road working in different locations and he would go along to just help out and get out of the house. However, he got bored, and didn't like the ideal work for no pay. It started with insults of the friend and just got worst because he was really jealous.

Thank you for the big hug, I needed it.

Called INS today and got some very good information. Since I have not filed the adjustment yet, call I have to do is write a letter to the service center where I filed the petition for I-130 and also to Chicago for the I-129F and ask to have them withdrawn. The letters must tell why, and when I filed and who for, last address. Also must be notarized.

They also referred me to the nearest investigation office near me and told me to call. They will tell me how to get him out of the house and possibly help send him on his way. I am to call them in the morning. I will keep you guys informed.
Once again, Thanks.

Last edited by Carribean Diva; May 2nd 2003 at 5:45 am.
Old May 2nd 2003, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Caro
Sometimes it is true that it would be very difficult for the INS to differentiate between a failed marriage with bitter spouses and a real fraud. But, in your case, she forged your signature to obtain an immigration benefit. Whether US citizen or foreigner, forging a document/signature is punishable. It is kind of like pretending to be a US citizen to get a job.
Well, yeah, she did that too. She pretended to be a USC in order to hold a full-time job before we were married -- but I didn't know the circumstances until later. She got fired from her job when the corporate office discovered that she wasn't authorized to work, and foolish Bob married her before she was sent back across the ocean.

Later, when I was searching through her papers to look for stuff that the INS said to try to find, I found strange financial documents in which she checked the boxes to say that she was a US citizen. These struck me as very odd at the time: I couldn't understand why she would open an investment account, checking a box that she was a USC, deposit $5K, then open another account the next week, checking the box that she was a USC, take half the money out of the first account and use it with $2.5K to start the second account of $5K, then keep repeating this process. It seemed like she must be totally crazy, excepting that tens of thousands of dollars were involved.

A few years later and 9-11. The news people are talking about how terrorists are able to hire people to move money through the US without being detected, and suddenly those transactions of a crazy person made a lot of sense. I did my patriotic duty as a good citizen and called the FBI. They could have cared less, and so I had no reason to give a damn.

The arguments that I made when I wrote to state reps and such about my experience were that if someone will very openly break immigration laws, they probably have a propensity to break other laws, and they have been *encouraged* to break laws by being allowed to do so.

So much for thinking that I could somehow save my country from the bad guys . . .
Old May 3rd 2003, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

AnnaV is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: K-1 husband wants to stay married for his green card

Originally posted by pjane1954
From what I understand, since he has his conditional Green Card, there is nothing INS will do to him at this point. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I think I will see about an annullment (I'm in California) based upon fraudulent marriage but I don't have high hopes on that.
Right now, it sucks to be me. I used to be so happy.
Hi,

Don't know if this will help, but a few years ago in Minnesota, there was a case where a guy came over when he was 17 and went illegal with the rest of his family. He eventually got married and became legal. Later, he and his first wife divorced, and he remarried. Many years later, he applied for citizenship. I don't know what the exact circumstances were, but first wife showed up and claimed that his aunt paid her $5000 to marry him (he claims ignorance of the entire scheme). He was then deported. The story hit the papers because his wife's legal status depended on his, and they also had a couple or so minor children who were American citizens. I think the spouse was allowed to stay because of the kids, but I lost track of the story after that. This must have been 1998 or so.

The immigration folks always had the caveat that if you are ineligible for any immigration benefits, then you will always be ineligible, i.e. if you received eligibilities through fraud, then you never deserved to receive them. Someone else might be able to explain this further.

Am really sorry about what happened to you. I do think you have to speak to the BCIS about what's going on, and get a divorce pronto.

-Anna
Old May 18th 2003, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

pjane1954 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a quick update!
I filed for an annulment based on Fraud, with a stipulation that if the Annulment isn't approved then it reverts to Dissolution (so I don't have to start the process over again).
I also sent letter to INS advising that he moved out 6 weeks ago and I don't know his address (he won't give it to me), and also advising I'm asking for annulment based on fraud.
But, listen to this: I received an anonymous email, telling me that my husband is trying to get his girlfriend pregnant, in hopes that will help him be able to stay in the States. I have no idea who exactly sent the email, but I put a trace on it and I know the Company where it originally emanated from.
Anyway, I've been two whole days now without crying. And I want to thank you all for your support.
Now I just have to focus on protecting my assets and keeping my sanity! Thank you again.
Old May 18th 2003, 11:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick update!
I filed for an annulment based on Fraud, with a stipulation that if the Annulment isn't approved then it reverts to Dissolution (so I don't have to start the process over again).
I also sent letter to INS advising that he moved out 6 weeks ago and I don't know his address (he won't give it to me), and also advising I'm asking for annulment based on fraud.
But, listen to this: I received an anonymous email, telling me that my husband is trying to get his girlfriend pregnant, in hopes that will help him be able to stay in the States. I have no idea who exactly sent the email, but I put a trace on it and I know the Company where it originally emanated from.
Anyway, I've been two whole days now without crying. And I want to thank you all for your support.
Now I just have to focus on protecting my assets and keeping my sanity! Thank you again.
Good for you, Penny! Taking these steps *will* help you keep your sanity
As for the email & its subject, wish them well. A USC infant won't help him be able to stay.

reminder: change the door locks at home.
Old May 19th 2003, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a quick update!
I don't know if you are a religious/spiritual person or not Penny, but God Bless You! Thank you for taking care of yourself by filing for annulment, and taking steps to keep yourself safe. Your story was very touching, and worrisome on this score, and I'm relieved to see you took steps to protect yourself from him, financially and otherwise. And thank you for reporting it to BCIS so that this immigration predator can't take advantage of and emotionally injure anyone else after you, God willing.

After this, you can do no more, but do keep vigilent and protect yourself -- the more desperate someone like this, the more unpredictable and erratic they become. It's up to his current GF to worry about herself in this mess and if she gets pregnant knowing that he's done this to you, that's on her ignorance and not your responsibility. It won't do him any good anyhow, as I understand things. Especially now that you have reported the situation to BCIS before removal of conditions.

So smile, take stock, go on with your life with you and your kids. Good luck to you and thanks for keeping us posted!
Old May 19th 2003, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to have some news from you, Penny. Wishing you well for the future!

Have to agree with Meauxna, the US infant will not help him stay in the country. I hope, however, that it will be used against him to show how unscrupulous he is.

Wishing you the best!
Caroline
Old May 19th 2003, 12:23 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Penny

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that you have taken the steps to free yourself from this charade.

Rest assured that he can impregnant five women and it will do him no good whatsoever in terms of adjusting status while here in the US. Since he entered on a K-1, his only means of adjusting status while he remains in the US is to be married to you. If you get the annullment or divorce and he remains and he remarries, he has to leave the US in order to adjust status.

I'm wondering if the marriage is annulled what that would mean in terms of his status for all this time. Would he be considered in overstay mode? And if so, if it is over 180 days does that mean he is banned from re-entry.

Rete