Wikiposts

K-1 Flowchart

Old Mar 29th 2004, 6:35 am
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: K-1 Flowchart

Yeah it reads well. One thing I actually just thought of, because I was told off by someone the other day, forgot who.

Was that not all consulates issue a Packet 3, and 4. Just wonder whether we should make some mention of that?
Old Mar 29th 2004, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

The name pkt3/4 have always been somewhat arbitrary. It is ussually a checklist and some initial papers to be returned in the first things sent to the person. pkt4 is ussually just the interview date.

I may find a way to update the flowchart with that language.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 8:22 am
Eric S.

I think I found a minor error. The notes next to the step 11 say this:

*Some embassies require the medical the same day as the interview. Most
require the interview to be done ahead of time and have the results sent to
the embassy directly from the doctor.
*This may occur after an interview date is given.

Shouldn't that be, "Most require the MEDICAL to be done ahead of time ..."?

Otherwise, looks great.

- Eric S.

"Steve2003" <member8695@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Added K-1 Flowchart. This was baselined off of mcjimbo 's Flowchart
    > with his permission.
    > I added new items and removed information that
    > could easily date the flowchart (such as current fee's, etc).
    > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=k1flow
    > Please review / comment / etc... thanks!
    > --
    > -Steve
    > K-Visa FAQ's at : http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1faq.htm
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 29th 2004, 8:57 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Steve2003
Please review / comment / etc... thanks!
Sorry to be a nit-picker, but Item 14 "fly's" s/b "flies".
And actually, some drive or arrive by means other than aircraft.

I think there is also no such thing as the "Packets" anymore (that's no longer the official term). I'm not fussed enough to look up what they really call it now
Old Mar 29th 2004, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by meauxna
Sorry to be a nit-picker, but Item 14 "fly's" s/b "flies".
And actually, some drive or arrive by means other than aircraft.

I think there is also no such thing as the "Packets" anymore (that's no longer the official term). I'm not fussed enough to look up what they really call it now
'Packets' term removed (I always hated using those names too). Made the term "fly's" into "travels to".

Thanks for the input
Old Mar 29th 2004, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

vinnic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Steve2003
Added K-1 Flowchart. This was baselined off of mcjimbo 's Flowchart with his permission.

I added new items and removed information that could easily date the flowchart (such as current fee's, etc).

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=k1flow

Please review / comment / etc... thanks!
Looks great! Thanks mcjimbo and steve2003! In regard to filing for AOS within 90 days after getting married, I would suggest putting this timeframe back in the flowchart to serve as a guide for NOT falling out of status...perhaps in parentheses in the notes section? Although not written anywhere, I know I would like to see this somewhere if I were just starting out from the beginning. The original K1 FAQ had this in there, and I know we were grateful for this resource as well as the newsgroup! This is from the K1 FAQ:

6.1)...How soon after we get married should we apply for Adjustment of Status?
A..Right away, or at least right after your honeymoon. You should make every effort to get the Adjustment application filed within 90 days of the fiance(e) entering the United States, which is when the K1 visa expires.
Filing for Adjustment of Status within the 90 days protects your legal status. Your legal status as a K1 expires after 90 days, married or not. The only way to protect your legal status is to apply for Adjustment of Status, and the only way to maintain continuous legal status is to file for AOS before the K1 visa expires.
On the practical side, it is often difficult to arrange for the marriage, and get all the paperwork ready in time to file for AOS within 90 days. Many newsgroup couples have filed for AOS a few days or weeks after the 90 day limit with no problems. Thus far, newsgroup experience has shown this is not a major issue with local BCIS (INS) offices.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 10:42 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mountain dew
you can crawl back under your rock now troll ray6, DCMark, and all your other names. *sigh*

Old Mar 29th 2004, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by vinnic
Looks great! Thanks mcjimbo and steve2003! In regard to filing for AOS within 90 days after getting married, I would suggest putting this timeframe back in the flowchart to serve as a guide for NOT falling out of status...perhaps in parentheses in the notes section? Although not written anywhere, I know I would like to see this somewhere if I were just starting out from the beginning. The original K1 FAQ had this in there, and I know we were grateful for this resource as well as the newsgroup! This is from the K1 FAQ:

6.1)...How soon after we get married should we apply for Adjustment of Status?
A..Right away, or at least right after your honeymoon. You should make every effort to get the Adjustment application filed within 90 days of the fiance(e) entering the United States, which is when the K1 visa expires.
Filing for Adjustment of Status within the 90 days protects your legal status. Your legal status as a K1 expires after 90 days, married or not. The only way to protect your legal status is to apply for Adjustment of Status, and the only way to maintain continuous legal status is to file for AOS before the K1 visa expires.
On the practical side, it is often difficult to arrange for the marriage, and get all the paperwork ready in time to file for AOS within 90 days. Many newsgroup couples have filed for AOS a few days or weeks after the 90 day limit with no problems. Thus far, newsgroup experience has shown this is not a major issue with local BCIS (INS) offices.

I have linked to this FAQ in the AOS tab:

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1faq.htm#6.1