Wikiposts

K-1 finances question

Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:48 am
Just Joined

maris.the.a is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K-1 finances question

Hello,

First post here! I've been trawling through old threads trying to find the relevant info I'm asking for, got a few results but could use a few specifics.

I am a USC with a UKC boyfriend. We are thinking about going the K-1 route sometime in the next year so that he can move to the U.S. He has a "real," well-paid job in the UK, but I am a student with the usual situation of poverty for the sake of academics. This is an issue when it comes to the I-134 form.

I found some hints of alternatives in this thread - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=638559 - (e.g. "self sponsoring," etc.) but clear links/explanations would be helpful.
Also, I've heard a bit about co-sponsoring - how would that be approached? Is that any 'better' than my UK boyfriend trying to self-sponsor?

Any input would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:59 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K-1 finances question

Have you read the link for K-1 in the wiki? It is listed at the beginning of this forum.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1

There is a link in there for the I-134. A co-sponsor can be anyone who is a legal resident of the US or USC living in the US at the time of sponsorship. They must meet the poverty guidelines for a family their size plus the foreign fiancee.

Remember that once you are married this co-sponsor will also be need for the I-864 affidavit of support for when he goes to adjust status.

Why don't you consider moving to the UK to finish your education?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:00 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The I-134 is almost a minor part of the process, because it only gets you as far as the visa. The I-864 will be required after marriage, with the application to Adjust Status (so he can stay).
You will have to have some income, assets or other sponsorship at some point soon.

That said, here's the info from London about using the applicant's own funds to get the K-1 visa.

Applicants Own Funds

An applicant who expects to be able to meet the public charge provisions of the law through personal financial resources may submit to the consular officer evidence of funds or income from one or more of the following sources:

* bank statement showing present balance of applicant's account, date account was opened, the number and amount of deposits and withdrawals during the past 12 months, and the average balance during the year. If there have been recent unusually large deposits, an explanation thereof should be given;
* proof of ownership of property or real estate, in the form of a title deed or the equivalent and a letter from a lawyer, or real estate agent showing its present valuation (any mortgages or loans against the property must be stated);
* letter or letters verifying ownership of stocks and bonds, with present market value or expected earnings indicated;
* statement from insurance company showing policies held and present case surrender value;
* proof of income from business investments or other sources.

If the financial resources are derived from a source outside the United States, a statement as to how the funds or income are to be transferred to the U.S. must be provided.

YOU, the petitioning US citizen, must demonstrate that your immigrant is not going to become a Public Charge. That's what it's all about.
What are you going to live on when he's here?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:29 am
Just Joined

maris.the.a is an unknown quantity at this point

Perfect, thanks for the links. All of these issues are why we're still in the "thinking about" stage.

Originally Posted by Rete
Why don't you consider moving to the UK to finish your education?
I've considered that sometimes, but haven't really looked into it yet I know even less about studying internationally than about immigration!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:35 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maris.the.a
Perfect, thanks for the links. All of these issues are why we're still in the "thinking about" stage.

I've considered that sometimes, but haven't really looked into it yet I know even less about studying internationally than about immigration!
If he's got a great job going there now, that might weigh heavily in the decision, current conditions considered.