Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

k-1 faster processing time england or Belgium?

Wikiposts

k-1 faster processing time england or Belgium?

Old Jul 18th 2007, 3:44 am
Just Joined

Azua is an unknown quantity at this point
Question k-1 faster processing time england or Belgium?

I met my boyfriend in November 2006 on Match.com. I am a USC and he is a British citizen. I went to visit him in England in March and in May he came to visit me and stayed for a month and a half. We love each other and want to get married. From the many helpful post on this website, I have decided to start the K-1 process. Can anyone tell me which processing time is shorter...England or Belgium?
Old Jul 18th 2007, 4:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: k-1 faster processing time england or Belgium?

Originally Posted by Azua
I met my boyfriend in November 2006 on Match.com. I am a USC and he is a British citizen. I went to visit him in England in March and in May he came to visit me and stayed for a month and a half. We love each other and want to get married. From the many helpful post on this website, I have decided to start the K-1 process. Can anyone tell me which processing time is shorter...England or Belgium?
In my opinion, they are going to be about the same. You could try emailing both consulates and asking them how long it's currently taking to get a K-1 interview appointment, but that won't do you much good, since his won't be for another 8 to 12 months or so, and the backlog can change a lot.

The K-1 interview backlog is the only portion that will affect his side of the speed of processing. The first portion is all determined by backlog in the USA, after filing the I-129F.

Rene
Old Jul 18th 2007, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Red face Re: k-1 faster processing time england or Belgium?

Thanks Rene!!!!
Old Jul 18th 2007, 12:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rene!!!!

Why do you believe your fiancee has a choice of US Consulates. It must be the one where he has a principal residence. He can't have principal residence in both places at the same time.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Question Re: k-1 faster processing time england or Belgium?

Rete,

My boyfriend was born in England and raised in Belgium.

Around May 2006, he moved to England. In May 2007, he quit his job and came to visit me. He also gave up his flat (the owner is going to renovated the house so my boyfriend would of had to move at the end of June anyway).

He stayed with me for about a month and a half and went back to Belgium (July 2007) to visit his children, parents, siblings and friends.

He plans to come back to see me in the middle of August 2007. He will be staying with me for three months.

I don't know if he is going back to England or Belgium to live while the visa is being processed.

This is why I thought he might be able to choose which Embassy/Consulate he processes his visa with.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 11:10 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I would have though that Belgium would be far the quickest
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

So which consulate must he use?
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 12:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I think he can use either one. It just depends which country he happens to be living in when you're ready to start the application process. Wait and see which one he's going back to, and use that one.

Rene
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 12:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Which one *must* he use? He can use whichever one he is eligible to use. If he can file in either country... it seems Belgium would be faster... *if* he is eligible to file there. Why doesn't he try to find out... as suggested 4 days ago?

Ian
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

good point Ian. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.