Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K-1 Embassy selection and query.

Wikiposts

K-1 Embassy selection and query.

Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Fatmike85 will become famous soon enoughFatmike85 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: K-1 Embassy selection and query.

So my fiancée got a confirmation email today saying that the I-129F has been approved!!!

This is earlier than we had expected but great news. I am visiting her for 3 weeks this Wednesday (hopefully I get through immigration ok!)

I was wondering what would be the most productive way to spend my time from now till when I leave, can I get a jump on the next part of the process? Should I send of for my police check now? I notice that it says if you have lived anywhere for upto one year to apply, do you need multiple from the UK if I have lived in N.Ireland and England? Also I lived in Hawaii for around 11 1/2 months on my J-1 then finished out the year in Michigan with my fiancee, do I need to obtain one from America?

If the information arrives from the Embassy whilst I am away, can I fill the forms in on-line and send them to London from the US?

Thanks for all the answers so far, this website has been a valuable resource!
Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K-1 Embassy selection and query.

Originally Posted by Fatmike85
So my fiancée got a confirmation email today saying that the I-129F has been approved!!!

This is earlier than we had expected but great news. I am visiting her for 3 weeks this Wednesday (hopefully I get through immigration ok!)

I was wondering what would be the most productive way to spend my time from now till when I leave, can I get a jump on the next part of the process? Should I send of for my police check now? I notice that it says if you have lived anywhere for upto one year to apply, do you need multiple from the UK if I have lived in N.Ireland and England? Also I lived in Hawaii for around 11 1/2 months on my J-1 then finished out the year in Michigan with my fiancee, do I need to obtain one from America?

If the information arrives from the Embassy whilst I am away, can I fill the forms in on-line and send them to London from the US?

Hey, congratulations! The wait for the petition is always the hardest part.

You should definitely be on top of the next step now; it will all go pretty fast and will go faster if you are ready.
The approved petition will be forwarded to the NVC and immediately transferred out to the Consulate. The IVU will send you a document checklist but through the magic of the interwebs, you can find that checklist and get everything for it.
For terminology's sake, you are now beginning your *visa application*.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1_London_Applications
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Police_Certificates
"If you have lived only in the UK, one national police certificate is sufficient for all UK localities."
"if you are applying from abroad and have lived in the US for 12 months or more after your 16th birthday you do not need to provide a US police certificate. "

Sorry, its just that it's all been done before...
Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

You can gather documents in advance so that when the time comes you can turn the papers around very quickly.

Your fiance has received the approval for the petition - this is called the 'NOA2'.

Next, you will receive a letter from the US Embassy telling you what documents you need to gather. This letter is generically referred to as 'packet 3'. This is the link that the letter will probably refer to:

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/iv/iv_15.html

As you can see, there are lots of things you have to gather up.You do not need to wait until you receive packet 3 to start this process.

Read through that link above carefully, read it several times so that you understand exactly what's neeeded.

These are things that you can do right now which will save a lot of time:

1. Familiarise yourself with the forms mentioned in the link above i.e. the DS230, DS156, DS156K and the DS157.

2. Familiarise yourself with form I-134 which your fiance will need to show that they be supporting you in the US (fiance completes it, you take it to interview).

3. The police certificate, it is valid for one year. Periods of residence in the US do not need police certs.

Are you in good health? If there is the slightest doubt about health issues have a check-up with your GP in advance of the medical. Read about the medical here http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...018a_Oct08.pdf

Read the 'wiki' entries at the top of the forum page and also use the forum 'search' facility to read about the various stages that you will go through.

The K1 process is a series of steps and rules. Follow them carefully and thoroughly and you'll be OK. It may seem a bit daunting right now but it you and your fiance will be able to do it, just follow the rules

The forms cannot be submitted online, they have to be printed off and manually signed. Sendingf them off from within the USA might cause a few raised eyebrows..............

Your packet 3 may well arrive while you are in the US. To be honest, it's probably less hassle just to open the letter when you get home, not as though you're going to be gone months. You can get your head start by reading the link I posted above.

Good luck.

Last edited by YouWantFriesWithThat; Sep 12th 2009 at 12:43 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Awh congratulations Mike, I know that approval seems to take an eternity.

The UK (including NI) is covered by the one Police Certificate so you don't need to worry about that. Looks like you'll need one from hawaii though.

YWFWT is a great source of info as she's just gone through her K1 and she is very very methodical and detailed - she could become your new best friend lol!
Old Sep 12th 2009, 11:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyNi
The UK (including NI) is covered by the one Police Certificate so you don't need to worry about that. Looks like you'll need one from hawaii though.
He won't need to obtain a police report from the USA. USCIS does its own security checks on him.

Rene
Old Sep 13th 2009, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh there you go Mike, easy answers all round! Thanks for that Rene, I wasn't aware they did their own. ALthough why on earth I thought they wouldn't I don't know
Old Sep 13th 2009, 5:07 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyNi
ALthough why on earth I thought they wouldn't I don't know
Certainly not from reading the BritishExpats K-1 Wiki!
Where've you been studying, missy?
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

I think I've been reading so much my brain is officially mush lol!

In my own defence some pretty stressful stuff going on at home with my mum too. Looks like she's got some form of dementia. Challenging times.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Fatmike85 will become famous soon enoughFatmike85 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: K-1 Embassy selection and query.

Thanks all!

I think I made a similar mistake to Mandy and misread the wiki. Thanks for the verification.

I am heading to see my fiancée tomorrow 6 months seems like a bloody lifetime! I couldn't be happier we got the I-129f approved so promptly, it took barely over 3 months!

I have sent away for the police certificate. I have had no contact from the Embassy yet (wasn't really expecting contact for a little while) but I have had a look through the DS-forms, they are pretty much exactly the same as the J-1/E-2 forms I have filled out in the past so hopefully I should breeze through them. I know my SSN and A# from my J-1 and I think that is all that I need to be able to fill them out.

If I get notice whilst I'm away I plan to fill them out and just send them when I get home...Or if I'm too impatient send them to my mum to forward to the Embassy.

Has the birth certificate to be an original copy? Is the returned with the visa/passport?
Old Sep 15th 2009, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

As I understand it Mike you need to have the original (with a copy to hand over) at the interview, so in essence you don't send this or the police cert in the post with other forms.

YWFWT will be along to clarify shortly
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

So I made it to see my fiancee ok. I went through Dublin airport again and no problems at all, just asked if I would be returning within 90 days. Such a relief to get through with no bother.

Packet 3 arrived on 6th October. I've started filling the forms out and will send them off when I get home in November.

I was wondering if any of you know of the best way to exchange GBP to USD. My family wants to contribute to the wedding and I would like to find the way that has the lowest fees/highest rate combo. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:27 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering if any of you know of the best way to exchange GBP to USD.
www.xe.com.

Ian
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

So I made it to see my fiancee ok. I went through Dublin airport again and no problems at all, just asked if I would be returning within 90 days. Such a relief to get through with no bother.

Packet 3 arrived on 6th October. I've started filling the forms out and will send them off when I get home in November.

I was wondering if any of you know of the best way to exchange GBP to USD. My family wants to contribute to the wedding and I would like to find the way that has the lowest fees/highest rate combo. Any suggestions?
I have found HIFX to be very good and very competitive rates:
http://www.hifx.co.uk/#

Remember in all these cases, there will never be any 'fees' - their 'fee' is in what rate you get
Old Nov 30th 2009, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Question Re: K-1 Embassy selection and query.

Thanks for the exchange sites guys.

I have a question about the DS-156. Questions 26, 27, 32.

Q26. how long do you intend to stay in the US? Is it appropriate to simply put 'Indefinitely'?

Q27. What is the purpose of your trip? Is it appropriate to simply put 'To marry my fiancée'?

These two seem simple, but the paranoia sinks in and makes you wonder if that's all they want.

Q32. Do you intend to work in the US? How do you answer this if you can not work in the US on a K-1 visa unless you get the approval? Obviously my intentions are to work once I am married and legally can.

That is all for now. Thank you in advance for any light you can shine on these questions for me!
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Q26. how long do you intend to stay in the US? Is it appropriate to simply put 'Indefinitely'?
If it's the truth, yes.

Q27. What is the purpose of your trip? Is it appropriate to simply put 'To marry my fiancée'?
If it's the truth, yes.

Q32. Do you intend to work in the US? How do you answer this...
Answer... "Yes, once I receive authorization".

Hint: most immigration questions are very simple and should be taken at face value. Don't try to read into them anything other than what is actually asked.

Ian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.