Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K-1 Embassy selection and query.

Wikiposts

K-1 Embassy selection and query.

Old May 31st 2009, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Fatmike85 will become famous soon enoughFatmike85 will become famous soon enough
Question K-1 Embassy selection and query.

I was wondering if anyone can help clarify somethign for me. My fiancee and I are in the process of applying for a K-1 visa. We are at the very start of things and although I have read the guides etc there are still a few things unclear to me.

In the I-129F form it asks which embassy I will apply for the K-1 at. I reside in Belfast, N. Ireland and am aware the consulate here unfortunately does not deal with k-1 applications My question is can I apply at the embassy in Dublin, or must I apply in London? I hold dual nationality but have always resided in northern ireland,uk. There seems to be very little information about this and the paper work basically states its up to the gods to decide. It would save me hundreds of pounds if I could go to the Dublin embassy and not have to fork out money on a hotel and transport to london.

I also have a question about SSN#. I was given a SSN# whilst I worked as an intern on a J-1 visa and was wondering if this is my number forever even though I have not worked in the US since 2007, therefore I need to include it on the forms for this application?

Many thanks for taking the time to read this, I would be grateful for any responses.
Old May 31st 2009, 11:57 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K-1 Embassy selection and query.

Don't quote me on this, but I think it's only London that does the K-1 visas. I don't think Dublin does.

Your SSN is yours for life, so include it on any application which asks for it.

Rene
Old May 31st 2009, 11:59 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, the I-129F gets filled out by the USC, you know that, right? The way you worded your post, it sounds like you're filling it out.

Rene
Old May 31st 2009, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Fatmike85 will become famous soon enoughFatmike85 will become famous soon enough

Yeah sorry for the wording, I'm aware that she fills it out and sends it. We are just working together to get it done.
Old May 31st 2009, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Don't quote me on this, but I think it's only London that does the K-1 visas. I don't think Dublin does.
Hi:

Dublin provides ALL visa services for Ireland.

BTW, I am amused by the syntax in the OP. I know what they mean, but it does come out as appearing to be within a classic marriage fraud profile -- Ms. marries an American and Mr. marries a different American with the idea of Mr. & Ms. living together in America and not with respective legal spouses.
Old May 31st 2009, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Dublin provides ALL visa services for Ireland.
Thanks for that. I don't recall hearing any K-1 stories through Dublin, most go through London on here, that I can remember.

Rene
Old May 31st 2009, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Also must I sign all 4 copies of g-325a for submission? I believe we both must fill this form in individually. For my fiancee to submit the I-129F she only needs these forms and an american passport sized photograph and a statement of intent from me? Have I read this information in the wiki correctly?

Last edited by Fatmike85; May 31st 2009 at 12:23 pm. Reason: To adjust wording.
Old May 31st 2009, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Fatmike85
Also must I sign all 4 copies of g-325a for submission? I believe we both must fill this form in individually. For my fiancee to submit the I-129F she only needs these forms and an american passport sized photograph and a statement of intent from me? Have I read this information in the wiki correctly?
Yes, each G-325A consists of 4 almost identical pages. You sign each page and staple the 4 pages together, and this is one G-325A. You do one, and she does one.

Yes, everything you mentioned plus proof of you meeting in person within the past 2 years.

Edit to add: when we did ours, we needed 2 passport-style photos of each of us. I'm not sure if that's stll true, it's been 6 years since we did our I-129F.

Rene
Old May 31st 2009, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, each G-325A consists of 4 almost identical pages. You sign each page and staple the 4 pages together, and this is one G-325A. You do one, and she does one.

Yes, everything you mentioned plus proof of you meeting in person within the past 2 years.

Edit to add: when we did ours, we needed 2 passport-style photos of each of us. I'm not sure if that's stll true, it's been 6 years since we did our I-129F.

Rene
"Give USCIS a passport-style color photograph of yourself and a passport-style color photograph of your fiancé(e), with both photos taken within 30 days of the date of filing this petition." This is from the official instruction manual. I think this means one will do.
Old May 31st 2009, 12:48 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. I don't recall hearing any K-1 stories through Dublin, most go through London on here, that I can remember.

Rene
Quick geography lesson for ya. Don't worry -- I have no idea what the capital of South Dakota is. Ther map is a naughty one BTW.

Old May 31st 2009, 1:11 pm

"Give USCIS a passport-style color photograph of yourself and a passport-style color photograph of your fiancé(e), with both photos taken within 30 days of the date of filing this petition." This is from the official instruction manual. I think this means one will do.
Sounds like it to me, yes. One of each of you.
Old May 31st 2009, 2:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

My question is can I apply at the embassy in Dublin, or must I apply in London? I hold dual nationality but have always resided in northern ireland,uk. There seems to be very little information about this and the paper work basically states its up to the gods to decide. It would save me hundreds of pounds if I could go to the Dublin embassy and not have to fork out money on a hotel and transport to london.
The Consulate selection is based on your residence; which Consular District you reside in (nothing to do with citizenship). The only Consulate offering immigrant visa services in your Consular District is London. The gods have nothing to do with it.

Get used to the hundreds of whatevers it costs you; you could easily wind up living in a state in the US that will net you a drive of equal distance just to visit your district office (residence in Vancouver Washington is especially annoying). We had to take an 18 hour ferry ride to get to DH's interview.
It's just the way things are.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

"NOTE: (Designation of a U.S. embassy or consulate outside the country of your fiancé(e)'s last residence does not guarantee
acceptance for processing by that foreign post. Acceptance is at the discretion of the designated embassy or consulate.)", It was just this note in the I-129F that made me think there would be a slight possibility of going through Dublin Embassy and not London(however it would be up to Dublin). Would I have to call one of the hotlines for 16euro or however many £ to get some kind of clarification or are these just for booking interviews and not for general queries? Are there any other contact details for the embassies? It seems they bury these deep within the website. I recall emailing London before and getting a response whilst applying for my J-1 but I can no longer find those contact details.
I know it is annoying I have had some experience of being annoyed in London, I just wanted to see if I could make it any less annoying for myself.

Thanks for all the responses so far.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:27 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get Dublin to accept your case, great for you. It's up to them, not London.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:49 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Quick geography lesson for ya. Don't worry -- I have no idea what the capital of South Dakota is. Ther map is a naughty one BTW.
What's with the map? Doesn't indicate the capital of Ireland on it nor did Rene need a geography lesson. The capital of a country is not necessarily the home of the US Consulate that does a particular US Visa, i.e. Ottawa (the capital of Canada) does not do marriage-based visas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.