Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K-1 delay at New Delhi Embassy

Wikiposts

K-1 delay at New Delhi Embassy

Old Dec 26th 2001, 5:00 am
Monkey777

Hi,

I am a U.S. citizen living in Chicago. My fiance is in India.

We applied for the K-1 visa on Aug.30. It was approved on Oct 15. The INS notice said
that the application would now be forwarded to the embassy in New Delhi.

That week, my lawyer fed-exed a copy of the approval notice, the whole application,
and my support info, along with a cover letter, to the embassy so that they could
start processing it right away.

I also fed-exed a copy of this package to my fiance, so that she would have all the
paper work.

Starting Oct 31, my fiance tried to call the embassy in New Delhi, but she just got a
recorded message and nobody ever answered the phone.

We never heard anything from the embassy so, on Nov. 15, my fiance took her copy of
the approval notice and went to the embassy in person.

She talked to a clerk, who told her that the mailroom was closed because of the
antrax scare, and they haven't opened her case yet. He told her that the embassy
would contact her, but he also gave her a different phone number and told her that
she could check back after Dec 1.

My fiance has tried this number repeatedly, but, again, nobody answers the phone.

It is now Dec 26, and we still have not heard anything. Does anybody have an idea of
what we should do?

Thanks,

Praveen

Old Dec 26th 2001, 8:02 am
Rcol320618

We are going through the same thing, only with the embassy in Warsaw. Our approval
date was 10/22/01 and the packet was sent to the embassy on 10/24/01. This was
varified by my congressman. All I know is that all mailis delayed to the embassies,
and who knows when there will be any answers of any kind. Let me know if what your
atty did got you an interview, usually not, as the embassy wanys originals from INS.
I am at a loss just like you, I'll bet there are many others, not that it will make
you or your fiancee feel any better. Let me know if you have any luck?

RWC

Old Dec 26th 2001, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

tara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default talk to your congressional liason

You may mention that you know by the FAM (Foreign Affairs Manual) that consulates must reply in a timely manner to their requests. Have the liason contact them.
http://www.foia.state.gov/fam/fams.a...=2&id=10&fam=0

9 FAM PART IV Appendix E – Page 1 of 3
9 FAM PART IV Appendix E,
700 INSTRUCTIONS RELATING TO
CONGRESSIONAL CORRESPONDENCE (TL:VISA-269; 05-02-2001)
9 FAM 701 PROMPT RESPONSES ESSENTIAL
(TL:VISA-269; 05-02-2001)
It is most important to answer promptly inquiries from Members of Congress. Posts may respond to inquiries by telegram, e-mail, a letter or fax. Posts are reminded that congressional inquiries must be answered within 3 working days. Implicit in the congressional use of a telegram is a
desire for a prompt reply, preferably within 2 working days. Replies to such inquiries should be courteous and friendly, and the content as fully responsive to the inquirer as possible under the law and regulations. Posts
should also try to anticipate and answer further questions which may arise based on the information post is providing.
9 FAM 702 COPIES FOR DEPARTMENT
If the Department has requested a copy of the post’s reply or has asked to be kept informed of developments in the case, posts must furnish a copy of their reply to any interested party to the Department.
9 FAM 703 USE LAYMAN’S LANGUAGE
Drafters should prepare telegrams, letters, faxes or e-mails in unclassified language intelligible to the layman. Posts should send telegrams through Department facilities using the format shown in 9 FAM Part IV Appendix E, Exhibit I. Drafters should keep in mind that congressional offices frequently forward post communications directly to the
interested constituent.