Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K-1 or CR-1 and work permit question

K-1 or CR-1 and work permit question

Old Apr 26th 2019, 3:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K-1 or CR-1 and work permit question

Plus you don't have to be in the US for 180 days in order to be included on your wife's IRS tax return. My husband entered the US on August 23rd, we married on September 26th (20-1/2 yrs ago) and for that year's taxes he was included in my tax return and we listed his foreign income from Canada. There is a form, but darn if I remember the number, that he signed stating he wanted to be considered as a resident for tax purposes. We chose that way of filing as his income was taxed and filed in Canada so he had foreign earned tax credits to be used on the IRS 1040 and it was an advantage to us.

P.S. Thank you for the kind words. They are very much appreciated.
Old Apr 26th 2019, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

jack172 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
Plus you don't have to be in the US for 180 days in order to be included on your wife's IRS tax return. My husband entered the US on August 23rd, we married on September 26th (20-1/2 yrs ago) and for that year's taxes he was included in my tax return and we listed his foreign income from Canada. There is a form, but darn if I remember the number, that he signed stating he wanted to be considered as a resident for tax purposes. We chose that way of filing as his income was taxed and filed in Canada so he had foreign earned tax credits to be used on the IRS 1040 and it was an advantage to us.

P.S. Thank you for the kind words. They are very much appreciated.
Thanks again Rete! For us the separate filing would be best as it would be a disadvantage currently to Hollie to have my income counted!

Old Apr 26th 2019, 7:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I had a Pell Grant for most of my college years but I was a single mom so the only income on my tax return was my own.

I'm not going to advise you on taxes when you are married as even though your wife would file separate, her category would be "married, filing separate" and that filing status might well interfere with her Pell Grant. She needs to speak to her school's financial advisor.
Old Apr 26th 2019, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

jack172 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
I had a Pell Grant for most of my college years but I was a single mom so the only income on my tax return was my own.

I'm not going to advise you on taxes when you are married as even though your wife would file separate, her category would be "married, filing separate" and that filing status might well interfere with her Pell Grant. She needs to speak to her school's financial advisor.
Thank you so much!
Old Apr 27th 2019, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

If she no longer qualifies for Pell Grant then so be it. You'd be married and should be supporting each other. The money can go to help someone else.