Wikiposts

K-1 -----> AOS

Old Oct 27th 2009, 7:23 am
Just Joined

simon_s is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K-1 -----> AOS

A continuation of this thread here, but with a new title for ease of assistance!

Well I'm booked in with a USCIS Civil Surgeon next week, Hopefully I can persuade them I don't need another medical, but I'm not hopeful.. We'll see.

Now, I'm going to go to the local Social Security office tomorrow cos I should be on the system now to get a number... I'm under the impression this is a temporary number, is this correct? Anyone want to throw some advice my way about what I should expect/need to take etc??

Oh, and we're getting married on Friday, hooray!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 7:29 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K-1 -----> AOS

Thanks for the thread jump.

Why do you think you will have to take another medical? Here's a good time to practice assertiveness. If you do not need another full medical, it really shouldn't be up for discussion.
If you have had all your vaccines completed before you got your visa, your overseas medical could be find on its own. Please do a lot of searching for current posts on this topic.

Social Security? There is nothing to it. Look up, downloand and complete form SS-5 before you go. Make sure you have all the required evidence with you and go. Don't say anything to them about getting married, or not, or changing names or any of that as it just confuses them. You are a K-1, your I-94 has 76+ days left on it, you are entitled to a SSN, period.

This number is not temporary, it's yours for life. Your card will have a legend on the front, prompting an employer to ask you for a work permit. When you get your Green Card, you can go back and get a SS card without that legend.
If you naturalize, you should also notify SSA.

Oh yeah, the wedding part! Congratulations, and enjoy a beautiful day.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Thanks for the thread jump.

Why do you think you will have to take another medical? Here's a good time to practice assertiveness. If you do not need another full medical, it really shouldn't be up for discussion.
If you have had all your vaccines completed before you got your visa, your overseas medical could be find on its own. Please do a lot of searching for current posts on this topic.

Social Security? There is nothing to it. Look up, download and complete form SS-5 before you go. Make sure you have all the required evidence with you and go. Don't say anything to them about getting married, or not, or changing names or any of that as it just confuses them. You are a K-1, your I-94 has 76+ days left on it, you are entitled to a SSN, period.

This number is not temporary, it's yours for life. Your card will have a legend on the front, prompting an employer to ask you for a work permit. When you get your Green Card, you can go back and get a SS card without that legend.
If you naturalize, you should also notify SSA.

Oh yeah, the wedding part! Congratulations, and enjoy a beautiful day.
Thanks!

The reason I said what I did about the medical is that I don't have any proof I've had the medical at Knightsbridge. When I phoned them they told me they didn't keep any records, it all went to the Embassy, and you can't get anything from them, I tried. I wasn't issued a DS-3025, so all I have is my GP vacc records, a chest xray (useful!!), and my original appointment letter from Knightsbridge...

I spent the morning yesterday listening to secretaries telling me I HAD to have a medical... Annoying. I ended up booking an appointment with a doc who sounded nice, wasn't too far, and quoted the cheapest price for a medical, with a view to trying to convince him otherwise once I get there..

It's all rather irritating!!

I'll keep looking for info, don't worry... Thanks for all the help!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:07 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

But did you complete your vaccines before you got the visa? Or do you have some shots to make up still?

This new page from USCIS is better than the old one.
Medical Examination

If you received a medical examination prior to admission as a K nonimmigrant, then you are not required to have another medical examination at time of adjustment as long as:

* Your Form I-485 is filed within 1 year of your overseas medical examination
* The medical examination did not reveal a Class A medical condition
* If you did have a Class A medical condition, you received a waiver of inadmissibility and you have complied with the terms and conditions of the waiver

Even if a new medical examination is not required, you still must show proof that you have complied with the vaccination requirements. If the vaccination record (DS 3025) was not properly completed and included as part of the original, overseas medical examination report, you will have to have the vaccination report completed by a designated civil surgeon. In this case, you are required to submit Part 1, Information About You, Part 2, the vaccination chart, and Part 5, the Civil Surgeon's Certification, of Form I-693 (in an envelop sealed by the civil surgeon). Please see the instructions for Form I-693 for further information.

I will just say, when USCIS changed over to the 'new' I-693 (past year or so) and there was some inconsistency in processing, people were recommending prophylactic use of the civil surgeon. There have now been reports of people who had a complete visa medical (no further vax required) simply applying for AOS on faith that the DS-3025 *is* in their medical envelope where it belongs.
Yes, it's better to have a copy of your own, but if you didn't get it from Knightsbridge or you lost it, there is no getting a copy.

Yes, some people have received an RFE stating that there is no medical, or some flaw (missing DS 3025) in the medical, causing the applicant to need another appointment stateside.

Reading a wide variety of experiences, I know what I would do at this point, and it likely doesn't include going to another doctor at this point.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:11 am
Just Joined

I am still reading the info you just posted, but I will say that I got all my shots up to date as far as I was aware, before my medical in Knightsbridge.

Off to check the links... Absorbing info time!!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

But did you complete your vaccines before you got the visa? Or do you have some shots to make up still?

Even if a new medical examination is not required, you still must show proof that you have complied with the vaccination requirements. If the vaccination record (DS 3025) was not properly completed and included as part of the original, overseas medical examination report, you will have to have the vaccination report completed by a designated civil surgeon. In this case, you are required to submit Part 1, Information About You, Part 2, the vaccination chart, and Part 5, the Civil Surgeon's Certification, of Form I-693 (in an envelop sealed by the civil surgeon). Please see the instructions for Form I-693 for further information.

I will just say, when USCIS changed over to the 'new' I-693 (past year or so) and there was some inconsistency in processing, people were recommending prophylactic use of the civil surgeon. There have now been reports of people who had a complete visa medical (no further vax required) simply applying for AOS on faith that the DS-3025 *is* in their medical envelope where it belongs.
Yes, it's better to have a copy of your own, but if you didn't get it from Knightsbridge or you lost it, there is no getting a copy.

Yes, some people have received an RFE stating that there is no medical, or some flaw (missing DS 3025) in the medical, causing the applicant to need another appointment stateside.

Reading a wide variety of experiences, I know what I would do at this point, and it likely doesn't include going to another doctor at this point.

As far as im aware, (I saw mine), the medical information from your knightsbridge appointment is put into your "secret brown envelope" that is given to the POE when you arrive on your K1 visa.

This can normally lead to some confusion and maybe where it gets "lost" in the process. I dont know if your K1 brown envelope then gets sent on to the Chicago Lockbox by the POE or not.

I understand that if you have all the vaccinations you can send them the vaccine worksheet (DS 3025) from Knightsbridge with the AOS application. If you DONT have this I would of thought you'd need to get the I-693 completed for the vaccines only.

Convincing the USCIS doctors is not all that easy, but there is a page in the I-485 instructions that even quotes the fact you dont need a full medical, take that for backup to your USCIS doctors appointment! I think it even says it on the I-693 instructions, so google those!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:28 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

m,

It's nice to see the specific reference to DS 3025 saying that a complete one is sufficient, this should help end the debates on that subject.

Regards, JEff

Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
m,

It's nice to see the specific reference to DS 3025 saying that a complete one is sufficient, this should help end the debates on that subject.

Regards, JEff
After a quick read-around, apparently not!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
As far as im aware, (I saw mine), the medical information from your knightsbridge appointment is put into your "secret brown envelope" that is given to the POE when you arrive on your K1 visa.
That is correct, that's where it should go. The applicant can ask for a photo copy of the vaccine report DS 3025 at that point, but they won't be able to get one *after* that point.

This can normally lead to some confusion and maybe where it gets "lost" in the process. I dont know if your K1 brown envelope then gets sent on to the Chicago Lockbox by the POE or not.
No, not to the lockbox, but to a central location where it's stored in anticipation of your upcoming AOS application. If DS 3025 gets lost, it shouldn't be here.

I understand that if you have all the vaccinations you can send them the vaccine worksheet (DS 3025) from Knightsbridge with the AOS application.
If all vaccines are complete before the visa is issued, I agree that the applicant can put her photocopy of DS 3025 in with the AOS application.

I also believe that she can omit including a copy of DS 3025.

If you DONT have this I would of thought you'd need to get the I-693 completed for the vaccines only.
If you don't have this (where 'this' is DS 3025) AND you also had completed vaccines prior to the visa, then I submit that you do *not* need to go get the I-693.
Not that their webpages are law, but it clearly states this on USCIS' page now, and that is what the intention of the law is. This whole prophylactic use of the I-693 has made a windfall of income for the civil surgeons and is not required by law. It's also a very recent and short lived thing... Ks never had to go for an extra medical appointment or Dr whatsis thing to get that extra I-693 section.

Convincing the USCIS doctors is not all that easy, but there is a page in the I-485 instructions that even quotes the fact you dont need a full medical, take that for backup to your USCIS doctors appointment! I think it even says it on the I-693 instructions, so google those!
Yes, it does say so, and also the USCIS page I cited up above.

I thought in fact that we'd added this to the pinned thread; now I'll have to go look.

NONE of the above applies if you completed a vaccine series in the US after getting your visa. In that case, you need a civil surgeon's proof that you completed your vax.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Wirelessly posted (LG-GR500/V10f Teleca/Q7.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.1.17.0)

if you dont have the ds 3025 and you trust that the uscis have it then thats fair enough, after all like you said its on their website.....

....But do you wanna risk an rfe and time wasted?

Its not fun this medical stuff. I just think if the op has a full vaccine history he should just get the uscis to fill out the relevant parts of the i-693 using that.

That way he shouldnt have anything to worry about.

Jmho. Better to be safe then sorry.

Im begining to think ii have a whole new reason to hate medical stuff!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:25 am

Yes, I do want to risk an RFE, because this is an extremely low risk IMO.

The system has worked for years and years. Yes, occasionally when there are changes, a glitch or two happens. But why would the DS 3025 inclusion be any different from any other part of your medical exam file over which you have no control?
One of the orignal names of this discussion group was The Mysterious Brown Envelope.

Documents have made their way successfully from the POE to the A file to storage for decades. There are occasional problems with items being lost out of a file but extremely low when you consider the volume.

The USCIS doesn't fill out the relevant parts of I-693, the applicant pays a doctor to fill them in.

As I've said before, each person will have to make up their own mind about this, but I personally don't agree with too much overkill.. there is prudent and there is paranoid. Why should you believe that *anything* you've submitted will make it through?

If I were me, getting ready for a K interview in the near future, I'd make a note to be sure to get a copy of the DS 3025 *at* my medical.
Yes, I would trust that the original is in the MBE. If I had already completed all my vax, I would file my AOS exactly as described above from USCIS, with nothing additional regarding the medical.

I don't agree with paying out close to a hundred bucks as a hedge against very slim odds that that one thing is going to go walkies from my envelope. That's me personally. I know I'm not going to get deported over it, and that it happens very rarely that an RFE is issued for this, and I would make sure I understood the difference between having completed my vaccines pre-visa and post visa.

I just reviewed the end of the medical pinned thread and that's the conclusion I reached last time I read all this.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:53 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I guess so.

My belief is that, if the DS 3025 shows all vaccinations either received or inappropriate, then a copy the DS 3025 should be included with the I-485. If the DS 3025 shows that vaccinations are deficient then the applicant should submit an I-693 with the vaccination section completed to show that the vaccinations missing at visa time have since been had.

The I-485 instructions specifically address a need to submit documentation of vaccinations for K adjustees, because as non-immigrants K adjustees did not require complete vaccinations in order to qualify for their visa.

The debate I was referring to was whether a complete DS 3025 was acceptable or did it have to be an I-693. Submitting neither with the I-485 risks an RFE, I think.

Regards, JEff

m,

Regards, JEff
After a quick read-around, apparently not!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 11:05 am

Yeah, I guess so.

My belief is that, if the DS 3025 shows all vaccinations either received or inappropriate, then a copy the DS 3025 should be included with the I-485. If the DS 3025 shows that vaccinations are deficient then the applicant should submit an I-693 with the vaccination section completed to show that the vaccinations missing at visa time have since been had.

The I-485 instructions specifically address a need to submit documentation of vaccinations for K adjustees, because as non-immigrants K adjustees did not require complete vaccinations in order to qualify for their visa.

The debate I was referring to was whether a complete DS 3025 was acceptable or did it have to be an I-693. Submitting neither with the I-485 risks an RFE, I think.

Regards, JEff
Do you think that DS 3025 is not completed by the panel doc at the overseas medical and included in the sealed medical results envelope that eventually makes its way into the MBE?
Old Oct 28th 2009, 3:54 am
Just Joined

Wow things got interesting in here!

Changing the subject slightly, I'm filling in the I-131 at the mo. Part 7 on the form, it says:

'...On a seperate sheet of paper, explain how you qualify for an Advance Parole Document, and what circumstances warrent issuance of Advance Parole. Include copies of any documents you wish considered...'

Do I need to write something, or can I get away with just including a copy of the I-485????

It also says 'how many trips do you intend to use this document?'. I have no idea at the moment, so is it just best to tick multiple trips just in case???

Thanks for all the halp!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 4:09 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simon_s
Do I need to write something, or can I get away with just including a copy of the I-485?
I wrote "concurrently filed I-485".

... is it just best to tick multiple trips just in case?
Yes, of course.

Ian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.