Wikiposts

K-1 advice

Old Nov 7th 2011, 3:41 am
Just Joined

CarlEnigma is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile K-1 advice

Hi

My American fiancée is going to put in for a K-1 Visa as soon as she starts work later this month. We are both aware that this will take some time to be processed, and of the various steps. Does anyone have any tips/advice on things we can start doing now to prepare to support the application?

Regards
Old Nov 7th 2011, 3:52 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K-1 advice

Originally Posted by CarlEnigma
Hi

My American fiancée is going to put in for a K-1 Visa as soon as she starts work later this month. We are both aware that this will take some time to be processed, and of the various steps. Does anyone have any tips/advice on things we can start doing now to prepare to support the application?

Regards
Your American fiancee is going to file an I-129F form to begin the process. It is you who will be "putting in for" (applying for) a K-1 visa, when the time comes.

If you are wondering what you need to gather to send in with the I-129F, you can find all that in the I-129F instructions, found here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

During the 5 months or so it takes to get the I-129F approved, you can get your police report done, and take a look on the US Embassy website to see what the K-1 visa applications look like, to get a head start on filling those out. Also, you can get a vaccination record from your GP, to preparefor the visa medical.

Rene
Old Nov 7th 2011, 3:56 am
Just Joined

So no need for a portfolio of information? I could of swore the two of us found a website where someone stated that they had collated all sorts of crap: photos, poems, letters, plane tickets etc showing the evolution of the relationship and the travel made to see each other.

I have noted that there will be need to provide photopgrahic evidence that we have literally met within, iirc x number of months/years (which we have) but the above description would would just be a bunch of fluff the immigration guys would have no intrest in?

Edit: As always, thanks for the excellent advice. I already have a CRB through my work, would a copy of that suffice ... that is something i am suppose to request not the embassy guys? Jeez i think i should go and re-read the K-1 website lol
Old Nov 7th 2011, 3:58 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So no need for a portfolio of information? I could of swore the two of us found a website where someone stated that they had collated all sorts of crap: photos, poems, letters, plane tickets etc showing the evolution of the relationship and the travel made to see each other.

I have noted that there will be need to provide photopgrahic evidence that we have literally met within, iirc x number of months/years (which we have) but the above description would would just be a bunch of fluff the immigration guys would have no intrest in?
Did you read the I-129F instructions yet? The answer to this question is in there.

Rene
Old Nov 7th 2011, 3:59 am
Just Joined

Not just yet, i will when i get home though So, sorry about that!
Old Nov 7th 2011, 4:03 am

I already have a CRB through my work, would a copy of that suffice ... that is something i am suppose to request not the embassy guys?
No, the one from work will not suffice. You need something called an APCO. See here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Police_Certificates

See our K-1 Wiki Guide, you might find it useful: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1

Jeez i think i should go and re-read the K-1 website lol
Not a bad idea!

Rene
Old Nov 7th 2011, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

My advice is to follow Rene's advice and to fully arm yourself with all the info - this means long hours reading but it will be worth your time in the end. My other piece of advice is to be patient. It does take time to be processed - my K1 took from March 2010 till December 2010 so patience is the essence here.
I did make a visit during the process to the US but took loads of evidence of my ties to the UK and all was fine.
Good luck to you
Old Nov 7th 2011, 11:55 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Why the delay in filing of the I-129f? AmCit needs to be employed at the time of the visa application not the visa petition. Oh well, not everyone is in a hurry I guess.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

Have you ever tried to hurry your misses along? :P

In all serious though, we filed in Jan after making sure we had everything covered and as much evidence as possible. Now we are playing the waiting game, am collecting evidence for the next stage.

Noorah, you were quite correct the guide was very useful!