Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K-1 and Advance Parole confusion

K-1 and Advance Parole confusion

Old Apr 8th 2008, 6:37 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K-1 and Advance Parole confusion

Originally Posted by PhilG
... 'Now remember, you're not allowed out of the country until you've adjusted your status, so no honeymoons in Thailand or anything like that.'
She lied... or, at least, didn't disclose the full truth. You are not barred from travelling outside the US "until you've adjusted your status". In fact, you are never barred from travelling outside the US... but it's the getting back in that's the problem - and for that, you'll need AP.

Ian
Old Apr 8th 2008, 6:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PhilG
I'm in exactly the same position as the original poster. I completed my visa interview today, and the woman smiled, wished me well with my marriage, and said 'Now remember, you're not allowed out of the country until you've adjusted your status, so no honeymoons in Thailand or anything like that.'
Well, she isn't exactly right. You don't have to wait all the way until you've adjusted status, but you do need to wait until you have AP in hand.

Rene
Old Apr 8th 2008, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
But can he travel on the VWP prior to using the K1 to enter?
I was advised by London that I could enter on my Aussie PP on the VWP if my UK PP with H4 hadn't got back to me in time to use it. ie I could be a H4 visa holder but enter on the VWP.

When I did enter on my H4, the guy at POE checked with me that I wanted to enter on my H4.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:35 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I was advised by London that I could enter on my Aussie PP on the VWP if my UK PP with H4 hadn't got back to me in time to use it. ie I could be a H4 visa holder but enter on the VWP.

When I did enter on my H4, the guy at POE checked with me that I wanted to enter on my H4.
So that no one gets confused.. Ozzidoc is talking about an H-4 visa, which has very different limitations.

The K-1 is a single entry visa, and most border agents will reportedly ONLY admit you as a K-1 if they see that visa in your passport. Your 90 days starts ticking then, and you may NOT re-enter as a K-1 after that admission.

There are a very few reports, most of them from Canadian land borders, of VWP-eligible folk being admitted for a VWP visit even though they have a K-1 visa in their passport (the person then leaves the US and returns to be admitted as a K-1 at a later date).
Because there are no guarantees that any one border agent will admit any given K-1 bearer as a VWP visitor, people should take EXTREME CAUTION if trying to do this.