Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Just wondering do I stand a chance of a visa to US for possible marriage?

Just wondering do I stand a chance of a visa to US for possible marriage?

Old Aug 18th 2019, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Martha McGuetle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just wondering do I stand a chance of a visa to US for possible marriage?

Hello to you all,
i met a man and we are talking about a future together albeit many months and years off, I guess before I get too excited and get my hopes I I can’t help wondering just if this could be possible, I guess I’d rather know now if the whole process which seems terrifying is possible. Obviously it is a long way off but I suppose, first stage would be as a temporary status whilst we decided if we do have a future, and then alter status as fiancée?
so briefly..
i am U.K born, female, White British, 47, never engaged, never married, no children, own house, approx £600,000 + funds go with me, no illness, no medications, no skills but I do not want to earn whilst in the US, would be as fiancé/ marriage,
He same age, never engaged or married, no children, white USA born, own house, job, no illness,
we’ve known each other for over two years, neither have any convictions, debts, no previous issues that would be unfavourable.
So does this sound like any possibly they would allow me? And if I am right I get a k1 fiancé visa, whilst other visas are applied for and approved am I allowed to stay with him? If it takes a year or many months would I have to remain here and apart?
thank you for your help.
sorry if I sound vague, I never imagined I would leave the u.k and never do anything like this.
Old Aug 18th 2019, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just wondering do I stand a chance of a visa to US for possible marriage?

If you apply for a fiance visa then you have 90 days in which to get married - if no marriage your visa ends and you return to the UK

There is no temporary visa to allow you to live with your boyfriend while you decide whether you are suited or not, or to marry or not.

You can VISIT the US for up to 90 days without any visa requirement.

He could visit YOU in the UK for up to 6 months without a visa.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Aug 18th 2019 at 7:31 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2019, 8:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just wondering do I stand a chance of a visa to US for possible marriage?

You can visit your finance/husband for up to 90 days after applying for the appropriate visa...but you cannot stay until you have the visa in your hand.
Old Aug 18th 2019, 8:12 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

If you wanted to live in the US independently of him, an investment of $500k (potentially refundable) would buy you a Green Card.

There is no visa to 'shack up and try it with a boyfriend' I'm afraid.
Old Aug 18th 2019, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Hi all, thank you very much for your help and replies...I appreciate your time, it’s all adding to my information and will help greatly.
I will continue to research and also read posts here, it’s a wonderful resource.
It is good to know I can stay for up to 90 days, that’s good news.
Thanks again! Greetings to all!
Old Aug 18th 2019, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

civilservant Thank you also for this, I will look into that and I had no idea that was also an option, really very helpful. Thanks!
Old Aug 19th 2019, 12:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Morning, Martha. Glad you have found your way to us.

Have you and your online friend had the opportunity to meet up yet? It would appear from your response above that you are unfamiliar with travel to the US which is why I've asked. Why not plan a trip to visit each other and see how it goes. You can use the VWP (visa waiver program) to come to the US for up to 90 days. You can complete the ESTA online and if approved you are free to book your flight and with just that approval and your passport, you can visit him for a week or a month or as long as 88 days from your date of entry.

As pointed out by a previous poster, there is the investment visa. Do you have the funds to invest and more than likely lose if the business does not work out? You said you have no skills so this type of visa and/or any other type of work visa doesn't seem the right fit for you.

If after a visit(s) with each other, then you both can explore what would be best for you both. There is the Fiancee Visa which is the clearance for you to entry the US to marry within 90 days and most importantly remain with your new husband until you have your permanent residency/green card. After marriage, you will apply for adjustment of status which is the petition/application for your permanent residency / green card.

Another way is sometime in the future after you are both sure that you want a life together permanently, you come to the US, get married with the express intent to return to the UK and then do so. You don't need the Fiancee Visa to marry since you will leaving the US after the wedding. Getting married when entering with the VWP is legal but you need to return to your own country to await your spouse filing in the US initially for the start of your Immediate Relative Visa which will be adjudicated at the US Embassy in London.

Of course, this is only a very brief description of both processes but just wanted to give you some insight into your options.

Old Aug 20th 2019, 7:48 am
Just Joined

Rete thank you so much for this reply, it states everything I wanted to know and I hope it will also benefit others, PM sent anyway but thank you again, much food for thought.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

salachar3 is an unknown quantity at this point

It sounds like your prospects are excellent, but do proceed with caution! Read all you can (although there is a lot of gloom and doom out there).

The process is cumbersome, time consuming, expensive, and slow. And there are several ways to approach it [full disclosure ... I am American and met an English woman online ... she visited and we got married in Feb 2017. We applied for a Spousal Green Card in July 2018, and that is still in the works ... slow!!! But she has visited a total of 5 times, three months at a time, under the VWP].

We read that the Fiancee Visa can take just as long to approve as the Spousal Green Card, and ends up costing more in the end. But that was a couple years ago, Don't come here under the VWP, get married, and apply for an Adjustment of Status (AOS) ... very risky and could jeopardize the Green Card! I believe it is possible to apply for a 6 month tourist Visa, come here, get married, and apply for an AOS, but research that hard. The AOS route is more expense, and on 15 Oct, when Trump's new brutal screening process goes in effect, the AOS process becomes WAY more cumbersome. All kinds of pros and cons.

My best advice though is to be real sure this is what you want to do (including getting married). Have you visited the States before? My poor wife feels like a fish out of water when she is here and I feel for her, but we have gone ahead. Meanwhile, the long distance relationship is tough too, as she is there way more than here after three years.

Best wishes! If you go for it, I'll be glad to try to answer questions as they arise, if I can.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 10:33 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by salachar3
I
I believe it is possible to apply for a 6 month tourist Visa, come here, get married, and apply for an AOS, but research that hard. .
Don't do this, OP! Applying for the B tourist visa when you are eligible to use the Visa Waver Program can lead to big problems, taking away the right to travel to the US for a period of time.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 10:38 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I believe it is possible to apply for a 6 month tourist Visa, come here, get married, and apply for an AOS, but research that hard.
Don't bother with the research. That's illegal.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

salachar3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! I never looked into that thoroughly, which is why I said "research hard"! Definitely don't want to mislead anyone!
Old Aug 21st 2019, 11:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by salachar3
It sounds like your prospects are excellent, but do proceed with caution! Read all you can (although there is a lot of gloom and doom out there).

The process is cumbersome, time consuming, expensive, and slow. And there are several ways to approach it [full disclosure ... I am American and met an English woman online ... she visited and we got married in Feb 2017. We applied for a Spousal Green Card in July 2018, and that is still in the works ... slow!!! But she has visited a total of 5 times, three months at a time, under the VWP].
She is not waiting for a Spousal Green Card. Terminology is very important. She is waiting for an Immediate/Conditional Residency Visa which will allow her to entry the US and upon entry by a permanent resident. The paper green card is issued with the I-551 stamp in her passport upon successful entry. The "card" itself will be mailed to her at the US address she gives.

We read that the Fiancee Visa can take just as long to approve as the Spousal Green Card, and ends up costing more in the end. But that was a couple years ago, Don't come here under the VWP, get married, and apply for an Adjustment of Status (AOS) ... very risky and could jeopardize the Green Card! I believe it is possible to apply for a 6 month tourist Visa, come here, get married, and apply for an AOS, but research that hard. The AOS route is more expense, and on 15 Oct, when Trump's new brutal screening process goes in effect, the AOS process becomes WAY more cumbersome. All kinds of pros and cons.
She will NOT qualify for a B tourist visa. If a UK citizen applies for a formal tourist visa it will 99% be denied as they are entitled to use the ESTA/VWP unless they are coming to attend a business conference, are retired. etc.

What brutal screening process?????????????????????????????????????

My best advice though is to be real sure this is what you want to do (including getting married). Have you visited the States before? My poor wife feels like a fish out of water when she is here and I feel for her, but we have gone ahead. Meanwhile, the long distance relationship is tough too, as she is there way more than here after three years.

Best wishes! If you go for it, I'll be glad to try to answer questions as they arise, if I can.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Thank you again to all who replied, I’m gathering all the info and pitfalls together and yes, I can see it’s a very complicated area and many of us are learning and helping eachother, I think if the situation arose I would possibly go through the whole process via a lawyer, that way I might be able to
relax a little more, I am at least getting lots of facts together and I do thank everyone so very much, it’s all so new to me.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 7:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Martha McGuetle
Thank you again to all who replied, I’m gathering all the info and pitfalls together and yes, I can see it’s a very complicated area and many of us are learning and helping eachother, I think if the situation arose I would possibly go through the whole process via a lawyer, that way I might be able to
relax a little more, I am at least getting lots of facts together and I do thank everyone so very much, it’s all so new to me.
Why don’t you stick around, read and join in some of the threads in the US and Trailer Park forums? That way you will get a better idea of what it’s like to live in the USA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.