Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Just wondering do I stand a chance of a visa to US for possible marriage?

Just wondering do I stand a chance of a visa to US for possible marriage?

Old Aug 22nd 2019, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Martha McGuetle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just wondering do I stand a chance of a visa to US for possible marriage?

Thank you Jerseygirl the temperature of the potential location does create some very big questions, it’s AZ, couldn’t be much hotter!!! and considering the average temperatures here in England that’s a big change! LOL, thank you, I will check out the other groups. Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 9:20 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just wondering do I stand a chance of a visa to US for possible marriage?

Originally Posted by Martha McGuetle
Thank you again to all who replied, I’m gathering all the info and pitfalls together and yes, I can see it’s a very complicated area and many of us are learning and helping eachother, I think if the situation arose I would possibly go through the whole process via a lawyer, that way I might be able to
relax a little more, I am at least getting lots of facts together and I do thank everyone so very much, it’s all so new to me.
Entering as the spouse or fiancée of a USC is by far the simplest visa process and the majority of the folks on the forum have done it themselves and are wonderful at walking newcomers through the process. By the time you have decided that you are ready to take this relationship to the next level, you may feel confident to DIY. Good luck! Do you have a visit to the US planned?
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 9:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Martha McGuetle
Thank you Jerseygirl the temperature of the potential location does create some very big questions, it’s AZ, couldn’t be much hotter!!! and considering the average temperatures here in England that’s a big change! LOL, thank you, I will check out the other groups. Thanks for your help.
Yes, it can be much hotter in other parts of the US. Arizona is a dry heat and believe it or not, it is far more tolerable then the summer heat in Florida or Mississippi.

As for relaxing and letting an attorney do-it-for-you, I will interject that having an attorney is helpful for those that can't read and comprehend instructions, aren't orderly, etc. There are lots of points that an attorney will NOT have you do, i.e. make copies of all your originals before relinquishing them, never send originals only copies of originals unless a certified copy if required, i.e. the original of your marriage certificate, and you have to go over everything that is put on the application with a fine tooth comb to check for mistakes which the paralegal who completes your petitions has the pleasure of doing, not the attorney. Any mistakes will hold up your petition and you are responsible for them, not the attorney.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 9:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just wondering do I stand a chance of a visa to US for possible marriage

On the TV it said it would be 110F in Arizona...that’s in the shade.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 9:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Here in MS, the high today was 99 degrees. Looking up the hourly online, it says 89 with a real feel of 101. So imagine what 99 felt like earlier.

For some odd reason even when I put my city in, it gives me the temp in Jackson MS which is approx 120 miles away from me.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 11:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

AZ has been having record highs lately. .113 yesterday. The other night it was still 100 at 9 pm! But really, you go from AC house to AC car to AC work, so you never really feel the heat.

Rene
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 12:26 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

I spent a few days in Phoenix AZ last week. I'm never going to complain about the temperature in Florida again!

114°F dry heat was far worse than the humid mid 90s I'm used to. It was in the mid 90s at sunrise, and I don't think it went below 100 until well after dark.
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Martha McGuetle is an unknown quantity at this point

Nutmegger i think now you’ve said that plus the other excellent info from Rete i will not use a lawyer, thank you both so much again, you are all so helpful and supportive, and so I would go through it on my own if the situation arose, without a lawyer but I would no doubt need you guys to help me through! A looongg way off though and may never happen.
i do have a trip planned but it won’t be for a while yet, but everything is going well.
thank you all for your perspectives and experiences of the heat out there! I know AC is the only way to go but I’m just so used to living in the country and stepping out many times a day for a walk, it would be a big change living indoors.
But boy it is hot out there!
Thanks to ALL who have helped.
Old Sep 13th 2019, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Alba2018 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
As for relaxing and letting an attorney do-it-for-you, I will interject that having an attorney is helpful for those that can't read and comprehend instructions, aren't orderly, etc. There are lots of points that an attorney will NOT have you do, i.e. make copies of all your originals before relinquishing them, never send originals only copies of originals unless a certified copy if required, i.e. the original of your marriage certificate, and you have to go over everything that is put on the application with a fine tooth comb to check for mistakes which the paralegal who completes your petitions has the pleasure of doing, not the attorney. Any mistakes will hold up your petition and you are responsible for them, not the attorney.
I can read and comprehend instructions etc however I chose to use an Immigration Attorney to simplify the process. To date I've had no issues (except my own) and using an attorney has not delayed the process and I might add the cost was minimal.

I was married late January 2019 and I expect to have my medical/interview very soon.

Thank you for the forum it's a great resource.
Old Sep 15th 2019, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Squiggle is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in a not dissimilar situation with my boyfriend, except I don't have any assets. He can support me though and I have a good work ethic so I would get a job once I had the right to work, it's not like I would go to the US to just sit around. Specifically, it'd be Florida. I'm also exploring this forum and reading a lot of info. It's all quite overwhelming.
Old Sep 15th 2019, 10:22 pm
Concierge

Then it is better for you to start your own thread and ask questions. Tacking on to someone else's thread is a great way of showing your support but does little to assist you to finding the right way for you and your USC bf to go when it comes to deciding which marriage-based visa is right for you. For example, do you prefer to marry first and then spend time apart while your marriage-based visa is being processed. Could take 12 to 18 months for that to be finalized regardless what some posters say. Or do you want to get engaged and then apply for a Fiance Visa (K-1) first and when granted enter the US, get married and file adjustment of status. Again the time apart is from 10 to 14 months before the K-1 visa is approved.

All marriage-based visas give you ultimately the right to work. The CR-1 can work from day 1 while the K-1 must wait for marriage, filing for adjustment of status and the I-765 for the employment authorization document so you will be unable to work for at least 90 days after filing for adjustment if not longer.
Old Sep 15th 2019, 10:27 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Alba2018
I can read and comprehend instructions etc however I chose to use an Immigration Attorney to simplify the process. To date I've had no issues (except my own) and using an attorney has not delayed the process and I might add the cost was minimal.

I was married late January 2019 and I expect to have my medical/interview very soon.

Thank you for the forum it's a great resource.
You have stated the above several times already and I'm sure that myself and others understand that you can read and comprehend instructions. Most of do NOT feel that an attorney will simplify the process but rather complicate it and mean more work for yourself and your spouse. But, hey, that is why there are immigration attorneys so that people will use their services. Never have I said that it will delay the process. And as for minimal costs, you might be willing to spend thousands of dollars for an immigration attorney's paralegal to do your paperwork for you. Others rather spend that money on their new lives.

There is a method for everyone. I'm glad you have found yours and are satisfied with the results.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 7:47 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
If you wanted to live in the US independently of him, an investment of $500k (potentially refundable) would buy you a Green Card.

There is no visa to 'shack up and try it with a boyfriend' I'm afraid.
Going up 900,000 in late November.

Old Sep 19th 2019, 8:36 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn’t aware of that - good to know!