Just Joined

dee123thatsme is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Just Starting out and Clueless

Hello,

Let get straight into it

The Facts:

I am a US Citizen

My Husband is a British Citizen

We got married in the US(pennsylvania) but moved to Northern Ireland (his home) after the wedding.

We both are living in Belfast and lived here for 3 years.

The Goal:

For both of us to be back in the US with him having a green card.

Questions:

How do we get him the green card.
Do i have to go back home and establish myself first, if so can he come with me or does he need to stay in Northern Ireland until its over.
What are all the forms we need? (a list would be great)

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:00 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just Starting out and Clueless

You should be able to do everything via the Embassy in London.

Start here:-

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/dhs/uscis/i130filing.html

Quite a few of us have done it this way. Read the information at that link, look at the forms and then you can ask more specific questions on what you don't understand.

Last edited by lansbury; Jan 13th 2010 at 6:02 am.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:01 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dee123thatsme
He must first get an Immigrant Visa. Since you've lived there more than 6 months, you can do this from where you are (called Direct Consular Filing, or DCF on this forum). It involves filing an I-130 and then applying the Immigrant Visa, including a medical and an interview in person. Once he uses the Immigrant Visa to enter the USA, he becomes a US PR right away (i.e., gets his green card right away). The DCF process takes between 4 - 6 months.

Do i have to go back home and establish myself first, if so can he come with me or does he need to stay in Northern Ireland until its over.
You don't necessarily have to go to the USA to establish yourself first. You will need to overcome the Affidavit of Support issue (form I-864), and also will have to prove intent to domicile in the USA. There have been plenty of other posts on this topic, have a search around this forum. If it comes to a point where you do need to go to the USA ahead of him, he can come on the VWP for a visit, but cannot immigrate until he has the Immigrant Visa in hand.

Do a search on our Wiki for CR-1 / IR-1 Immigrant Visa, or DCF. There have been lots of folks doing DCF, I'm sure you'll come up with a comprehensive list of forms you'll need and what the process entails.

Rene
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:04 am
Just Joined

dee123thatsme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
He must first get an Immigrant Visa. Since you've lived there more than 6 months, you can do this from where you are (called Direct Consular Filing, or DCF on this forum). It involves filing an I-130 and then applying the Immigrant Visa, including a medical and an interview in person. Once he uses the Immigrant Visa to enter the USA, he becomes a US PR right away (i.e., gets his green card right away). The DCF process takes between 4 - 6 months.

You don't necessarily have to go to the USA to establish yourself first. You will need to overcome the Affidavit of Support issue (form I-864), and also will have to prove intent to domicile in the USA. There have been plenty of other posts on this topic, have a search around this forum. If it comes to a point where you do need to go to the USA ahead of him, he can come on the VWP for a visit, but cannot immigrate until he has the Immigrant Visa in hand.

Do a search on our Wiki for CR-1 / IR-1 Immigrant Visa, or DCF. There have been lots of folks doing DCF, I'm sure you'll come up with a comprehensive list of forms you'll need and what the process entails.

Rene
thanks for the help!!!
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:42 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dee123thatsme
Questions:

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Here you go; the path has been well marked for you by others who have done the same. Have a read & come back with your questions.. and welcome aboard!
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/DCF_I-130_Filed_In_London