Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Just saw this story & was wondering...

Just saw this story & was wondering...

Old Oct 3rd 2007, 4:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just saw this story & was wondering...

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
She was granted asylum, ergo, she was inspected at some point in the process. Her mother was granted legal status... so, had she not been married the wife would also have been granted legal status.

You have completely contradicted what you just wrote.

Ian

Actually refugees are granted refugee status before entering the US by the Consulate. Aslyum seekers within the US might have entered with or without inspection.

Last edited by Rete; Oct 3rd 2007 at 4:13 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 4:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluesails
I meant the husband filing an I-485, if she entered without inspection it would be denied. The immediate relative aspect doesn't involve asylum. I know another couple in a similar boat, her husband was deported about a year ago.

And no, I did not contradict what I wrote. By getting married she was no longer eligible under her mother's petition. Adjusting as a spouse of US citizen or LPR is not allowed under current law if the spouse entered without inspection. It is not clear in the article, however, if she entered without inspection, only that at some point she applied for asylum. That is an assumption on my part given the circumstances.

She might well have had the eligibility to file the I-485 and her husband the I-130 for her if she can be grandfathered until the old Section 245(i). It is never as simple as it looks and newspaper articles don't mean that the authors researched before publishing.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 4:30 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

HG,

You are assuming that the reporter understands what they are reporting about and used words that correctly describe the situation?

Reporters omit or confuse essential facts just as frequently as newgroup posters do!

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
And also: A judge in June granted her a one-year extension to remain in the United States. If her legal status does not change by June 8, 2008, she will have 60 days to voluntarily leave the country or face deportation.

For a legal status to change, she'd already have to be in some sort of legal status, so I really really don't see why they don't just file the appropriate AOS paperwork....
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
HG,

You are assuming that the reporter understands what they are reporting about and used words that correctly describe the situation?

Actually, I am not assuming that at all, however you can't tell from my post that I don't.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

khai ko is an unknown quantity at this point

Shouldn't USCIS make an exception here?

Is it her fault that someone brought her to this country as a child? The government granted them amesty. Her mother is legal, she's married to a US citizen who is serving to protect this country, and her great crime is...getting married to him at the wrong time and being brought as a minor when she didn't have a choice?

If the law is stupid, shouldn't it be changed? Like someone said, have we/USCIS lost our collective common sense ?
Old Oct 4th 2007, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, I feel for them, but I don't feel for them..if you get what I mean. If they wanted to make sure everything was above board and legal, they should have done their homework and realized that they had to wait to get married until after the legalization process was approved. If they had waited 6 more weeks, they would not be in this situation.

As much as I hate to say it, they brought this problem on themselves. I still think (as little as I know about asylum status) that is possible for her to adjust status based on marriage to a USC, so I really don't understand why there is a big kick-up.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 12:44 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by khai ko
Shouldn't USCIS make an exception here?

Is it her fault that someone brought her to this country as a child? The government granted them amesty. Her mother is legal, she's married to a US citizen who is serving to protect this country, and her great crime is...getting married to him at the wrong time and being brought as a minor when she didn't have a choice?

If the law is stupid, shouldn't it be changed? Like someone said, have we/USCIS lost our collective common sense ?

The USCIS did not do this to them. She is here legally. She can adjust status to PR all they have to do is file for it. It is not as if she can't. They just didn't look into the matter.

More likely then not they married because he was in the service and was going to be shipped to Iraq. You see it on the boards all the time. Love comes first and foremost. No one thinks of the reprecussions of their actions until it hits them in the face. Not trying to be cruel but it is the truth and then they mouth off about how unfair it is to be separated, etc. They are in love, blah, blah, blah.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

bluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rete
The USCIS did not do this to them. She is here legally. She can adjust status to PR all they have to do is file for it. It is not as if she can't. They just didn't look into the matter.
How exactly do you come to that conclusion based on the information in this article? People who are here legally and can adjust by simply filing a petition don't end up in front of a judge with an attorney facing deportation.

Originally Posted by Rete
No one thinks of the reprecussions of their actions until it hits them in the face.
Wow, that is a pretty callous statement, especially when you are familiar enough with the laws to know that they are extremely complex, that each rendition have made changes over the years that make minor mistakes big problems with big consequences and even things that when they happened were no problem at all, but after 1996 can cause you to be deported.

The consequences are not logical, so saying someone should just know what they are by osmosis or something, or even knowing what they should be researching, is not always realistic. There are plenty of attorneys that went to law school and been practicing for years that even get it very wrong, why do you have such disregard when a layperson makes a mistake for which they are paying dearly?
Old Oct 4th 2007, 12:33 pm
Concierge

How exactly do you come to that conclusion based on the information in this article? People who are here legally and can adjust by simply filing a petition don't end up in front of a judge with an attorney facing deportation.
Simple: "If you were granted asylum, you may apply for adjust of status after one year in asylee status." Pg 85, Ch 6 U.S. Immigration & Citizenship, Allan Wernick author.

As the article states they had legal status as asylees she was here legally and able to apply on her own after she married, or she could have applied based on marriage to a USC.

Wow, that is a pretty callous statement, especially when you are familiar enough with the laws to know that they are extremely complex, that each rendition have made changes over the years that make minor mistakes big problems with big consequences and even things that when they happened were no problem at all, but after 1996 can cause you to be deported.
No it is not callous. It is truthful from my point of view. She had been around the block and her husband has been as well. They are both immigrants. They know that you have to file for AOS but yet they never did a bloody thing about it. There are no immigration attorneys where she lives? No freebie immigration clinics set up by the city, state and/or private organizations, i.e. Catholic Charities.

The consequences are not logical, so saying someone should just know what they are by osmosis or something, or even knowing what they should be researching, is not always realistic. There are plenty of attorneys that went to law school and been practicing for years that even get it very wrong, why do you have such disregard when a layperson makes a mistake for which they are paying dearly?
Yes, people and attorneys get it wrong but they are proactive and don't take their immigration status for granted. She had amply time to sought out her status but failed to even start the process.

At least USCIS is giving her another chance to adjust her status and remain in the US.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that is a pretty callous statement...
Not surprisingly, I agree with Rete. People are just plain stupid when it comes to immigration matters and, by and large, it's getting worse. We live in a "victim" society where there is honor in being on the receiving end of Big Brother. Even if I were not fairly well educated, I'd know enough to find out about my immigrant status in a foreign country and what I need to do to maintain or upgrade that status. However, many people wear blinders... they assume that things will work out even if they do nothing. I have no sympathy for people who can't even take the time to find out what's going on.

Ian
Old Oct 4th 2007, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they do, if they don't actually file that petition. It is not up to the immigration judge to explain the process to them. The judge deals with people who haven't followed the rules, to put it simply.

That said, I'm still wondering: she was here legally as an asylee, how come all of a sudden she wasn't legal anymore? Was that because of the petition being filed on her behalf by her mom, which when denied (because of her marrying) automatically cancelled her asylee status?
Old Oct 4th 2007, 2:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Was that because of the petition being filed on her behalf by her mom, which when denied (because of her marrying) automatically cancelled her asylee status?
I'm guessing she was included on mom's application for adjustment. When the girl married, she suddenly ended up in a different category and was dropped from the application. Now, whether or not that would have (or should have) negated her status as an asylee, I don't know. I don't think it should have... but USCIS works in mysterious ways sometimes. I suggest the reason this happened is because her adjustment was snookered after she got married and some pencil pusher at USCIS decided that she had no other legal status, and completely ignored her asylee status.

Ian
Old Oct 4th 2007, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I suggest the reason this happened is because her adjustment was snookered after she got married and some pencil pusher at USCIS decided that she had no other legal status, and completely ignored her asylee status.

Ian
That could very well be the case, Ian. In the end I guess it doesn't even matter too much, because the judge has given her the chance to get 'back into legal status'. Why they didn't get out of the court room and headed straight for the nearest computer to print themselves some AOS forms is beyond me at this point.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 3:43 pm
Account Closed

Why they didn't get out of the court room and headed straight for the nearest computer to print themselves some AOS forms is beyond me at this point.
Just like I said earlier, "People are just plain stupid when it comes to immigration matters..."

Ian
Old Oct 4th 2007, 4:14 pm
Concierge

That could very well be the case, Ian. In the end I guess it doesn't even matter too much, because the judge has given her the chance to get 'back into legal status'. Why they didn't get out of the court room and headed straight for the nearest computer to print themselves some AOS forms is beyond me at this point.

Or why they didn't do that the day after the wedding (myself would have been prior to the wedding day)? Neither one of the couple is a stranger to immigration. This is the issue I have a problem with and does not allow me to be all that sympathic to her plight. Stupidity or just plain laziness is not an excuse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.