Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Just Married via K1 Visa, need additional info

Wikiposts

Just Married via K1 Visa, need additional info

Old May 12th 2008, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

dakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nice
Default Just Married via K1 Visa, need additional info

Hi everyone, my wife and I just got married in New York on May 12th via K1 visa.

Could anyone here help to point us in the correct direction now on what else we need to do. I've read that we need to apply her to get her social security card and also apply for AOS. If someone could link me or type out the order in which to do this, and forms in which we need to complete i would greatly appreciate it! thank you for your time.
Old May 13th 2008, 12:08 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just Married via K1 Visa, need additional info

Originally Posted by dakine48
Hi everyone, my wife and I just got married in New York on May 12th via K1 visa.
Congratulations!

I've read that we need to apply her to get her social security card and also apply for AOS.
Go to www.uscis.gov and go to the "forms" section. Download I-485, I-131 (for travel), I-765 (for work authorization (EAD)), and I-864. These are the big four applications that you'll need.

Easiest thing to do for a SS card, is to wait until she has the EAD and then go to the SSA office to apply. However, if her K-1 has not yet expired (and she's been in the US for more than a couple of weeks) she can go now to the SSA and apply. She'll need to take her passport and K-1 visa. She should fill out the application form using her unmarried name and she should *not* mention that she's married. She can change the name on her SS card *after* she has the card and you have the marriage certificate in hand.

I'm sure others will be along to correct me if I've said anything wrong!

Ian
Old May 13th 2008, 1:53 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with everything Ian said.

In addition, if she wants to drive, check your local DMV office for requrements. These days, most DMV offices need to see a SS card, so she may have to get that before she can get a drivers license or State ID.

So basically it goes:
1. Get married (done)
2. If she's been here more than 2 weeks, apply for SS card. (But not if she's close to the end of her K-1 status...she has to still have 2 weeks remaining on that)
3. File AOS (I-485, G-325A, I-765, I-131, I-864, plus any supporting documents called for).
4. Get drivers license, learners permit, or State ID from DMV.

That's about it!

Rene
Old May 13th 2008, 1:58 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Form for SSN

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html
Old Jun 11th 2008, 11:15 am
Just Joined

dakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nice

Thanks everyone! I downloaded the I-485, I-131, and I-765 forms so far. Reading the instructions on the I-485, it says to submit a G-325A and Affidavit of Support forms. Do I still need to fill up and send these forms in again? I did the I-129F initially and already sent those two in the first time to get to this point.

For the I-485 form, it asks for a SS#, but since she did not apply for one yet, do I just type in NONE?

Also, what do I type in for "USCIS Status" ?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Easiest thing to do for a SS card, is to wait until she has the EAD and then go to the SSA office to apply. However, if her K-1 has not yet expired (and she's been in the US for more than a couple of weeks) she can go now to the SSA and apply. She'll need to take her passport and K-1 visa. She should fill out the application form using her unmarried name and she should *not* mention that she's married. She can change the name on her SS card *after* she has the card and you have the marriage certificate in hand.
Ok just checked her K1 visa and it says it expires on July 7th. So we should be good to go with the SSA office and just not tell them we are married yet? All we need is to show her I-94 in her passport and a valid birth certificate correct? By the way, we got married on May 2nd and we already have our marriage cert.

Last edited by dakine48; Jun 11th 2008 at 11:20 am.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 11:16 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone! I downloaded the I-485, I-131, and I-765 forms so far. Reading the instructions on the I-485, it says to submit a G-325A and Affidavit of Support forms. Do I still need to fill up and send these forms in again? I did the K1 visa and already sent those two in the first time to get to this point.
Yes, you need another G-325A, and this time the USC will do an I-864 Affidavit of Support (the first one was an I-134).

Rene
Old Jun 11th 2008, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, you need another G-325A, and this time the USC will do an I-864 Affidavit of Support (the first one was an I-134).

Rene

ah I see. I had a co-sponsor the first time for the I-134. Will that person just do the same thing again to co-sponsor on my I-864? If so, I need to fill one as well as my co-sponsor?
Old Jun 11th 2008, 11:34 am

ah I see. I had a co-sponsor the first time for the I-134. Will that person just do the same thing again to co-sponsor on my I-864? If so, I need to fill one as well as my co-sponsor?
If your USC wife still doesn't meet the financial requirements for the I-864, you will need a joint sponsor, yes. The joint sponsor will fill out a separate I-864 and provide their backup info again (employment letter, tax returns, etc)

Your USC wife will fill out an I-864 even if she doesn't qualify financially, yes.

By the time you have your AOS interview, if you are working, you can combine your income with your wifes, do a new I-864, and get the joint sponsor off the hook. The final decision on this lies with the interviewing officer, so it may or may not work for you.

Rene
Old Jun 11th 2008, 11:41 am

For the I-485 form, it asks for a SS#, but since she did not apply for one yet, do I just type in NONE?
Correct.

Ok just checked her K1 visa and it says it expires on July 7th. So we should be good to go with the SSA office and just not tell them we are married yet? All we need is to show her I-94 in her passport and a valid birth certificate correct? By the way, we got married on May 2nd and we already have our marriage cert.
I don't think SS even needs to see her birth certificate. All they need is her passport, K-1 visa, and I-94. Avoid telling them she's married now.

Her K-1 visa expiration date doesn't really matter anymore, her visa is used up now.

Rene
Old Jun 11th 2008, 11:44 am

Also, what do I type in for "USCIS Status" ?
Right now her current status is K-1 entrant, I would say.

Rene
Old Jun 11th 2008, 12:00 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Could anyone here help to point us in the correct direction now on what else we need to do. I've read that we need to apply her to get her social security card and also apply for AOS. If someone could link me or type out the order in which to do this, and forms in which we need to complete i would greatly appreciate it! thank you for your time.
What you need to get, as a vision of the whole picture, is this. Your (now) wife was petitioned by you, applied for and got herself a visa. Visas get you to the front door of the US, and ideally in.

Now she wants to stay. To do this, she must become a Permanent Resident. That is what she is applying for now. It's a completely new application, and even though it seems like you have already given over this information, it's for another use now, and going to different people.

uscis.gov explains it here:
Application Procedures: Becoming a Permanent Resident While in the United States

Online, we usually refer to this as AOS or Adjustment of Status 9to Permanent Resident).
Old Jun 11th 2008, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If your USC wife still doesn't meet the financial requirements for the I-864, you will need a joint sponsor, yes. The joint sponsor will fill out a separate I-864 and provide their backup info again (employment letter, tax returns, etc)

Your USC wife will fill out an I-864 even if she doesn't qualify financially, yes.

By the time you have your AOS interview, if you are working, you can combine your income with your wifes, do a new I-864, and get the joint sponsor off the hook. The final decision on this lies with the interviewing officer, so it may or may not work for you.

Rene
Sorry...I meant YOU as the USC in this post. I got confused as to who was the USC. Oops. I realize your wife is the immigrant.

Rene