Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

just married- now what with AOS and EAD?

Wikiposts

just married- now what with AOS and EAD?

Old Jan 2nd 2003, 2:10 am
Girlbloo

Default just married- now what with AOS and EAD?

I just got married on New Years Eve here in NYC to my irishman that
overstayed his visitors visa. Now I want to begin the proper
paperwork but don't know where to begin! I need to begin the AOS and
EAD paperwork but I just don't know where to start with everything.
It's pretty intimidating and we really want to be sure we don't mess
up somehow. Any help would be appreciated!! Feel free to email me at
[email protected] or [email protected] with any help or
suggestions. Happy new year everyone!

Old Jan 2nd 2003, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

FlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to all
Default Re: just married- now what with AOS and EAD?

First thing I would do would be to go to http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/index.htm and start reading. They have all of the forms there, most in fillable PDF format. Find your local office there and find what special instructions they have for NY. Then call the toll free number and order the "adjustment of status packet". Even though you will probably want to file with the fillable forms, the packet has instructions and notes you might miss otherwise. It organizes everything together and shows you all the forms you will need, I-130, G-325a, I-485, etc, etc. and all of the supporting documents required.

Then try http://k1.exit.com/ the AOS link and http://www.marriagebasedvisas.org/

There are others, links to which are found in the already mentioned web pages and on google. You might also look at seeing if you want an attorney to help. In NY, the Catholic Services have been of help in the past and don't charge $200 an hour. Good luck!

-fr

Originally posted by Girlbloo
I just got married on New Years Eve here in NYC to my irishman that
overstayed his visitors visa. Now I want to begin the proper
paperwork but don't know where to begin! I need to begin the AOS and
EAD paperwork but I just don't know where to start with everything.
It's pretty intimidating and we really want to be sure we don't mess
up somehow. Any help would be appreciated!! Feel free to email me at
[email protected] or [email protected] with any help or
suggestions. Happy new year everyone!
Old Jan 2nd 2003, 5:28 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by FlightRisk
<Snip>

Then try http://k1.exit.com/ the AOS link and http://www.marriagebasedvisas.org/

There are others, links to which are found in the already mentioned web pages and on google. You might also look at seeing if you want an attorney to help. In NY, the Catholic Services have been of help in the past and don't charge $200 an hour. Good luck!

-fr
Please note both these sites have not been upated since early 2002. The procedure and types of petitions/applications you need are correctly listed, however, the fees are incorrect.

One thing to note is that ALL the forms are filed VIA MAIL (return receipt requested) or some type of traceable mail and you can pay with a personal check to the NYC INS Office at 26 Federal Plaza, New York City. You cannot file them in person, unfortunately. The cancelled check will have his A# listed on it when it is cashed and returned to you by your bank.

You will need forms I-130, I-485, 2-G325a's (one for you and one for him), I-765 if he wants to work, and an I-131 if he wants to travel while AOS is pending and he has not been out of status for more than 179 days and you will need to supply him with an I-864 affidavit of support. You cannot file until you have received the registered marriage certificate from New York City. Not sure if NYC requires that he has a medical at the time of filing or will waive that until the time of the interview.

Catholic Charities is an excellent place to go to have the forms completed. You might also want to call the Irish Community Center in NYC if there is one. If not, there is one on McLean Avenue in Yonkers, New York which you can call. They provide immigration services and/or referrals for Irish citizens in the Greater New York area.

After mailing he will receive a small yellow cash register receipt in the mail. Save this in a safe place as it is your proof of filing. NYC is running over 90 days from accounts of others recently for the issuance of the EAD. If he does not receive notification to go and pick it up (called an interview letter) until after the 91st day of your receipt, he can go in person with a copy of the paperwork filed, the cash register receipt and obtain the one year EAD that day.

AOS at the present time for NYC is running approximately 18 months.

Rete
Old Jan 2nd 2003, 8:31 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Rete
After mailing he will receive a small yellow cash register receipt in the mail. Save this in a safe place as it is your proof of filing. NYC is running over 90 days from accounts of others recently for the issuance of the EAD. If he does not receive notification to go and pick it up (called an interview letter) until after the 91st day of your receipt, he can go in person with a copy of the paperwork filed, the cash register receipt and obtain the one year EAD that day.

Rete
Rete, how long should someone wait until contacting the NYC-INS regarding their EAD if they havent received the yellow receipt? Should we go by 90days from the check cashing date, or the date it was actually received by them? We're pondering whether to fax our congressperson later this month to see whats happening, or should I just pay them a visit?

Additionally, Girlbloo, the EmeraldIsle immigration center is an excellent free place to go and get advice regarding this, my wife and myself went there to discuss our AOS application, and they were extremely helpful.
Theyre in Woodside, near Maspeth, Queens. You will need to make an appointment to speak to one of their advisors.
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 2:36 am
Girlbloo

Rete wrote in message news:...
    > Originally posted by FlightRisk
    > >
    > >

> You will need forms I-130, I-485, 2-G325a's (one for you and one for
    > him), I-765 if he wants to work, >

Thank you so much for the info on what forms we will need- I printed
them off of the INS site. I called and made an appointment with a
center that helps Irish immigrants in Sunnyside, Queens where we live
to go over everything before we send it out. Thanks so much for your
help...it's the beginning of what seems a long and tedious procedure
but it's all worth it. Thanks!!

Old Jan 6th 2003, 6:10 am
Girlbloo

>
    > Additionally, Girlbloo, the http://www.eiic.org/]EmeraldIsle
    > immigration[/url] center is an excellent free place to go and get advice
    > regarding this, my wife and myself went there to discuss our AOS
    > application, and they were extremely helpful.
    > Theyre in Woodside, near Maspeth, Queens. You will need to make an
    > appointment to speak to one of their advisors.

Thank you- I have an appointment with someone there in a couple
weeks!!! It's only a few blocks from my house. Thanks!!!! Jen