Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

just got married and i don't know from where i start!!!!

Wikiposts

just got married and i don't know from where i start!!!!

Old Oct 17th 2005, 5:21 am
Just Joined

milabrasil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default just got married and i don't know from where i start!!!!

hi,im from Brasil and just got married few weeks ago.My husband and I has a long story relationship and we are finally together but now i don't know what to do,from where start with the papers...All we know is that i need to go to ins and change my name...Im here legally with a turist visa untill feb but just find out today I can't work Can somebody help us???

Last edited by milabrasil; Oct 17th 2005 at 5:23 am. Reason: I'm lost
Old Oct 17th 2005, 5:24 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: just got married and i don't know from where i start!!!!

Originally Posted by milabrasil
hi,im from Brasil and just got married few weeks ago.me and my husband has a long story relationship and we are finally together but now i don't know what to do,from where start with the papers...all i know is that i need to go to ins and change my name...Can somebody help us???
Hi,

Are you both currently in the USA, or in Brazil? If you're in the USA, go to www.uscis.gov and read about "how do I become a permanent resident?".

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 17th 2005, 5:29 am
Just Joined

milabrasil is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for answering my question..Well he is american and rigth now we are here in the usa but we have no clue what to do..Thanks for your help and im gonna read rigth now what you told me
Old Oct 17th 2005, 5:49 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for answering my question..Well he is american and rigth now we are here in the usa but we have no clue what to do..Thanks for your help and im gonna read rigth now what you told me
It's a lot of information, so read it all carefully, and then come back to see us with any specific questions.

Good luck,
Rene
Old Oct 17th 2005, 6:34 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

All we know is that i need to go to ins and change my name.
I don't think you are obligated to change your name.

Im here legally with a turist visa untill feb but just find out today I can't work
Did you enter the US with the intent to marry? If you did, you might find yourself in a whole lot of trouble.

Ian
Old Oct 17th 2005, 6:37 am

You won't be able to work until you file for AOS and receive your EAD. If you start now, you could have your EAD in about 3 or 4 months. Don't plan on working sooner than that.

Rene
Old Oct 17th 2005, 6:57 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

hi,im from Brasil and just got married few weeks ago.My husband and I has a long story relationship and we are finally together but now i don't know what to do,from where start with the papers...All we know is that i need to go to ins and change my name...Im here legally with a turist visa untill feb but just find out today I can't work Can somebody help us???
I don't recommend going to 'ins' and doing *anything* with them until you know what you are doing. When you do know what you are doing, you will see you have no need to go into 'ins' at all At least not until they tell you to.

As soon as you get your AOS papers filed/accepted, you will not need to worry about the tourist visa date.

As Rene points out, it's going to take several months for your employment authorization, so don't plan on working. If you can't afford to do all this now--the fees alone will be around $1000--you can return to your home country and apply for an immigrant visa that will give you work permission from the first day of your return.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

It might be hard to find INS anywhere... you may have more luck with USCIS
Old Oct 18th 2005, 9:08 am
Eric S.

Hmm. I wonder if the OP is the same Brazilian woman that UKintheUSA talked
about in the post titled "Employer Question". The story sure sounds the
same....

- Eric S.

"Noorah101" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    >> Thanks for answering my question..Well he is american and rigth now we
    >> are here in the usa but we have no clue what to do..Thanks for your
    >> help and im gonna read rigth now what you told me:)
    > It's a lot of information, so read it all carefully, and then come back
    > to see us with any specific questions. :)
    > Good luck,
    > Rene
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 18th 2005, 9:26 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric S.
Hmm. I wonder if the OP is the same Brazilian woman that UKintheUSA talked
about in the post titled "Employer Question". The story sure sounds the
same....

- Eric S.
So?
Old Oct 18th 2005, 11:35 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Well welcome aboard.

I know that you must have tons of questions. First there is no INS. It is the USCIS. You can visit the post at the start of this forum under my name regarding the FAQ. That will give you lots of URL's to look at.

You can go the USCIS website that Rene gave you and you can d/l the forms you will need to file.

I-130 Immediate Relative Petition
I-485 Adjustment of Status Petition
I-765 Employment Authorization Petition
G-325 Biographical Information ... you need three of them ... 2 for you and 1 for me
I-864 Affadavit of Support

Everything gets mailed to the Chicago Lockbox address along with an additional check for fingerprinting and you need to have your CIS medical (I-693) done to include with the package.

It will take you anywhere from one month to three months for the Employment Authorization (EAD). Since you already have a social security card from your J visa, have someone mail it to you in the US. You will need that to work.

Good luck
Rete
Old Oct 18th 2005, 12:20 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going to stay in the US and adjust status, DON'T leave the US until asking here or visajourney first. Not for any reason!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:57 am
Eric S.

UKintheUSA - Yeah, I figured you must have pointed her to this forum. Nice
of you to try to help her out.

milabrasil - Good luck to you. Here's another good resource with lots of
good information: www.visajourney.com. Check out the Guides section.

- Eric S.

"UKintheUSA" <member30258@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    >> Hmm. I wonder if the OP is the same Brazilian woman that UKintheUSA
    >> talked
    >> about in the post titled "Employer Question". The story sure sounds
    >> the
    >> same....
    >> - Eric S.
    > It certainly is and I told her I would be more than happy to help her
    > out. I even gave her my Immigration Lawyers phone number as well as
    > this website. I couldn't emphasize enough how important it is to see an
    > Immigration Lawyer!
    > Hopefully they will get things sorted and she can come work for me! :)