Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Just getting started with your visa petition?

Wikiposts

Just getting started with your visa petition?

Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:36 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just getting started with your visa petition?

It occurred to me that many of the folks just getting started out may not know that they can sign up at uscis.gov for individual tracking of their petition I-129f, I-130 or other (this is not available for 'DCF' filings overseas).

You can create an individual portfolio so USCIS emails you when something changes on your case (often called a 'touch' by the online community).

Start here: Processing Times and Case Status
To be fair to all our customers, we process cases that are the same type based on the order of when they were filed. We will notify you, usually by mail, when we make a decision on your case, or if we need something from you.
Want an idea of how long it will take us to process your case?

And the 2 links on the right: Case Status Portfolio with Updates via Email

Me again: This system is famously incorrect at times. There is a member here who is now a US citizen and his case status still shows his I-485 (application for a 'green card') as "pending".
However, for those of you with petitions pending, anything is something I guess. You will receive notice if someone 'touches' your case (which could mean something or more usually, means nothing) and get notice if your case has an RFE/Request for Evidence coming. Of course, that can be torture because there is NO WAY to find out what the 'error' is until you get the letter in the mail.

There are also several helpful articles on life in the US and US Immigration in the BritishExpats.com wiki here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:USA
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just getting started with your visa petition?

thankyou for this bounty of information for us who are just starting out. much appriciated. *gets reading some more*
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:41 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just getting started with your visa petition?

Bump for new filers