Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

July 1st wedding & no visa yet

July 1st wedding & no visa yet

Old Jun 2nd 2011, 11:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: July 1st wedding & no visa yet

So where are you at now? Has your file arrived in London yet? Have you had your medical yet?

Rene
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

shent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really nice

Originally Posted by meauxna
shent, I don't know how many times you have communicated with them or how recently. That was a month ago, when did you hear about the letter timing?
Oh sorry, yesterday. I emailed back asking basically what I've asked here, but have had no response yet.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

shent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
So where are you at now? Has your file arrived in London yet? Have you had your medical yet?

Rene
In the UK now, medical is done, paperwork has been confirmed by them to all be in order & I'm ready and waiting for my interview, they just need to schedule my time and date to go down and do it.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 11:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shent
In the UK now, medical is done & I'm ready and waiting for my interview, they just need to schedule my time and date to go down and do it.
LOL...good answer bolded. I meant "where are you in the process"...LOL

I would definitely push them a bit more, you are all set to have your interview, from what I can tell. Hopefully if you push a bit more, they can get you in the next 3 weeks.

After reading meauxna's post, I should say...push them, but don't be "pushy".

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jun 2nd 2011 at 11:58 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 11:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Oh sorry, yesterday. I emailed back asking basically what I've asked here, but have had no response yet.
In the UK now, medical is done, paperwork has been confirmed by them to all be in order & I'm ready and waiting for my interview, they just need to schedule my time and date to go down and do it.
Basically all that stuff you wrote in the first post, with all the other options, or a clear: "Please please please can you help me make this scheduled church wedding?"

Right now, everything you need is at the Consulate and ready, according to them. If you can get them to give you a cancellation or make an exception, that is what you want. This has worked for others in emergency situations.

The word you want to use (their lingo) is 'expedite'. Be humble, say it was your misunderstanding, beg, tears, pregnant FI etc ..whatever it takes. What will NOT work is getting all pompous on them, but I'm not sensing that from you.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
LOL...good answer bolded. I meant "where are you in the process"...LOL

I would definitely push them a bit more, you are all set to have your interview, from what I can tell. Hopefully if you push a bit more, they can get you in the next 3 weeks.

Rene
Haha, my mistake, sorry mate. But yeah, I have all my supporting documents ready, they have all the paperwork they need from me, just need an interview date & I'm ready to go.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

Basically all that stuff you wrote in the first post, with all the other options, or a clear: "Please please please can you help me make this scheduled church wedding?"

Right now, everything you need is at the Consulate and ready, according to them. If you can get them to give you a cancellation or make an exception, that is what you want. This has worked for others in emergency situations.

The word you want to use (their lingo) is 'expedite'. Be humble, say it was your misunderstanding, beg, tears, pregnant FI etc ..whatever it takes. What will NOT work is getting all pompous on them, but I'm not sensing that from you.
God no, every email or phonecall I've made has been as polite as my Brummie roots will allow, even if I secretly want to smash the phone/laptop to pieces afterwards Hopefully they will get back to me with some good news tomorrow, but its probably a bad idea to hold my breath.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 12:30 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

God no, every email or phonecall I've made has been as polite as my Brummie roots will allow, even if I secretly want to smash the phone/laptop to pieces afterwards Hopefully they will get back to me with some good news tomorrow, but its probably a bad idea to hold my breath.
Just be assertive enough. It's not exactly a national trait.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Keep in mind, that if she decides that keeping the July 1 date is all important, remind her that that will mean you won't be living here at the time your child is born. It would be 8 - 10 more months before you'd be allowed to move here on a spousal visa. Ask her what's more important: 1) keeping the wedding date, or 2) having you here for the rest of the pregnancy and birth. Ask her if it would be worth doing a 'mock' wedding and jeopardizing the K1 and starting all over from scratch.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Just be assertive enough. It's not exactly a national trait.
Hahaha...I have learned that's true.

So I have a couple of things to add. Call DOS in the US or get the fiance to call. (202) 663-1225, press 1, then 0 to speak to a person. They will know if an appointment has been scheduled. A few months ago people weren't getting their appointment letters and the London helpline was saying they didn't have an appointment. A call to DOS told them they did indeed have one. Two that I know of got their letters postage due after the appointment. You can still go to the interview without a letter. The guy at the head of the line outside has a list of appointments for that day and will let you in.

Several people also got very short notice of their appointment, like it was 3-5 days away when they got the letter. There's hope.

Many people have been successful moving an assigned appointment to an earlier date by calling and getting a new email code. Like was suggested earlier politely tell them what you need. Say can you please give me any cancellation slot. I am ready and can be there on very short notice. And be sure and explain your reasons for urgency and the date.

If you live in London, the visa could get delivered to you in two days. If you lived farther away, it could take a week or more. It's a courier, but not next day service.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for you help guys, I'll work on sweet talking the embassy and see how it works out. Fingers crossed for me

Just out of interest, what does the interview involve? Any advice on what questions/procedures I can expect?
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for you help guys, I'll work on sweet talking the embassy and see how it works out. Fingers crossed for me

Just out of interest, what does the interview involve? Any advice on what questions/procedures I can expect?
It's a cake walk usually. How did you meet? What does she do for a living? Oh, what a fun job. Wish I was an astronaut. Have you made plans for a wedding yet? Wow, that's soon. Your approved. It's just a short chat...hardly an "interview" as such. They have asked --

What do you do for a living?
Where does she live?
Have you been there? You went to Minnesota in the winter and want to go back??
How or when did you propose?
What internet game were you playing when you met? Is she better than you? ::chuckle chuckle::

They don't ask but 2-3 questions and it's more like talking to somebody you met in the pub whose interested in the fact you've got an American fiance. There's no right or wrong answers to things like 'When did you propose?' An okay answer could be. 'I didn't really. We just started talking about marriage last summer and here we are.' I know a guy who was asked how many times he had been to visit her. His answer was 'I dunno. Lots!' It's all friendly and casual.

Edit to add:

There's a video of the interview day process prepared by the embassy. It's geared toward student interviews where it shows them asking questions, but your process will go exactly like this Interview Day London

Last edited by Moxie; Jun 3rd 2011 at 1:39 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 4:19 pm

Thank you Moxie, for always adding something helpful. Calling the DOS in the States is a great idea.

Note that Moxie's post is about going over the Embassy's head to the US office. Many people had a good result calling the US phone number (now that my memory's been jogged, I remember!).
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

DOS can't give you an interview or speed it up, but they have access to what London has on thir computers about your case. They generally give out better information than the London helpline. Call every day until you find out the interview date so you know before you receive (or don't receive) the letter. Then you can try to move it once you have a date. Call right now. It's just lunchtime in the US. Get an answer before the weekend. Maybe it's been scheduled. Ask them if it shows you to be "interview ready" if they say there is no interview.

Another thing, London is very backed up right now. People are getting put off by the helpline, who are not giving out the weekly email code so easily. I know a person who called from the US on the US line (flat fee of $16, ouch!) The USC made her case and got put through to talk to a supervisor who gave her an interview.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

joannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to all

I was in a real hurry to get my appointment, I recommend e-mailing the IV unit at london every day, politely asking for a last minute cancellation and explain your situation. I had abolutely NO luck callling, which I did daily, and spent a fortune. I e-mailed them three times (every other day once they had recieved my medical results) and on the third time was given a interview appointment for the next day (due to a cancellation.) Keep on communicating with them, if you remain polite but firm I would imagine they will try to accomodate you. best of luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.