Joint Sponsor Question

Old Aug 2nd 2008, 1:16 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Joint Sponsor Question

Here's the scenario:

Sponsor doesn't meet I-864 requirements, so is using Grandpa as a joint sponsor.

Grandpa is using his income (retirement pay and SS) plus assets (savings and checking accounts).

Grandma lives with Grandpa. She earns a little SS income, but they are not including that in their I-864. However, her name is on the savings and checking accounts.

Does Grandma need to do an I-864A, since her name is on the accounts being used to show assets?

Thanks!
Rene
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 4:14 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Joint Sponsor Question

Noorah,

I would think that Grandma and Grandpa should be required to submit an I-864A if the full amount of money in those joint accounts is being pledged on Grandpa's I-864. Some of that money is hers, I'm sure. (Certainly she'll claim some of it should, hypothetically speaking, she decide to divorce Grandpa!)

Perhaps not if Grandpa pledges only some of the money in those joint accounts. But figuring out how much is his and then demonstrating it to CIS could be a lot more difficult than preparing an I-864A.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Here's the scenario:

Sponsor doesn't meet I-864 requirements, so is using Grandpa as a joint sponsor.

Grandpa is using his income (retirement pay and SS) plus assets (savings and checking accounts).

Grandma lives with Grandpa. She earns a little SS income, but they are not including that in their I-864. However, her name is on the savings and checking accounts.

Does Grandma need to do an I-864A, since her name is on the accounts being used to show assets?

Thanks!
Rene
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 4:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, JEff. So on the I-864A, grandma will write 0 for income, but write maybe half of the assets value on her I-864A? Because the full amount will be on grandpa's I-864. This way, she's showing that she's contributing half of the asset value on her I-864A. I think that makes sense.

Rene
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 6:01 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

That makes sense to me also. (Without getting into what a particular state's family law might say about the allocation of jointly-held assets.)

Regards, JEff

Thank you, JEff. So on the I-864A, grandma will write 0 for income, but write maybe half of the assets value on her I-864A? Because the full amount will be on grandpa's I-864. This way, she's showing that she's contributing half of the asset value on her I-864A. I think that makes sense.

Rene
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:12 am
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

Rene
Why not include Grandma's income too?

Marnee
Old Aug 5th 2008, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by USA & Pakistan
Why not include Grandma's income too?

Marnee
I don't know, I guess they figured grampa's income was enough, and they were throwing in the assets for good measure...

Rene